Anybody on Candida Diet?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    abbey146 wrote: »
    If you have candida overgrowth, see a doctor, take the antifungal, and stop reading nonsense on the internet. Untreated fungal infections can be bad news.
    I wouldn't exactly call it nonsense. It is a fact that Candida thrives on sugar, and only by eliminating sugar from my diet will the Candida be starved out. I have had a huge sweeting my entire life which is what has caused my Candida. Anti finals may work, but would be no good if I continued feeding the Candida with sugar.
    I think you may need to do some research.

Uh-huh. Again, fungal infections are serious and you need an anti-fungal, not ridiculous blathering a from the Internet. Stop self-diagnosing using BS sites like Gale posted up there. Speak to your doctor if you think you have a problem."

I think you may need to do some research but please at least read my post so you do not mislead others as to what I said in black and white. @tincanonastring read up on Candida like you, I and the rest have. It is its 'overgrowth' that becomes health concerns. @RunRutheeRun hit on an overgrowth condition name.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that candida overgrowth doesn't occur. Quote the opposite. I know it happens and, when it does, most commonly presents orally or as a vaginal yeast infection. I know it can also result more rarely in the penis and, even rarer still, systemically. The BS part comes in thinking you can treat it with diet. You need anti-fungal medication.

Googling "do I have candida" and clicking nonsense sites like the one you posted, Gale, is how people get sucked into confirmation bias.

OP, I'm not a doctor, which makes me just as qualified to diagnose your candida overgrowth as you are. If you believe that you have a fungal infection, please seek proper medical treatment.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not a doctor, which makes me just as qualified to diagnose your candida overgrowth as you are. If you believe that you have a fungal infection, please seek proper medical treatment.

+1000

Get off the internet and get REAL medical help.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If you have candida overgrowth, see a doctor, take the antifungal, and stop reading nonsense on the internet. Untreated fungal infections can be bad news.
    I wouldn't exactly call it nonsense. It is a fact that Candida thrives on sugar, and only by eliminating sugar from my diet will the Candida be starved out. I have had a huge sweeting my entire life which is what has caused my Candida. Anti finals may work, but would be no good if I continued feeding the Candida with sugar.

Uh-huh. Again, fungal infections are serious and you need an anti-fungal, not ridiculous blathering a from the Internet. Stop self-diagnosing using BS sites like Gale posted up there. Speak to your doctor if you think you have a problem."

This. And by doctor we mean REAL doctor, not a naturopath

I think you may need to do some research but please at least read my post so you do not mislead others as to what I said in black and white. @tincanonastring read up on Candida like you, I and the rest have. It is its 'overgrowth' that becomes health concerns. @RunRutheeRun hit on an overgrowth condition name.

An important part of research is vetting sources. Methinks you need to work on that part.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 9 months, all the stages. It was hard but so worth it! Add me if you want support or tips.
  • abbey146
    abbey146 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not saying that candida overgrowth doesn't occur. Quote the opposite. I know it happens and, when it does, most commonly presents orally or as a vaginal yeast infection. I know it can also result more rarely in the penis and, even rarer still, systemically. The BS part comes in thinking you can treat it with diet. You need anti-fungal medication.

Googling "do I have candida" and clicking nonsense sites like the one you posted, Gale, is how people get sucked into confirmation bias.

Doctors are not the solution to everything. I'm hesitant to see a doctor because in the past everything they have given me has not worked. And no, they were not naturopaths.

There is a big difference between Candida yeast and Candida fungus. They are related, but the yeast is what I know has taken over my body. Yeast thrives on sugar. Hence by eliminating sugar, it gives the Candida nothing to feed on. If you don't believe that, that's fine and if you think I'm crazy, that's fine too. That will not stop me from following this diet, as I have heard from more than enough people how much the Candida diet has helped them.
    I posted this in search of other people on the diet, not medical advice. Not sure why you're so adamant about me seeing a doctor.
  • abbey146
    abbey146 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Doctors are not the solution to everything. I'm hesitant to see a doctor because in the past everything they have given me has not worked. And no, they were not naturopaths.

There is a big difference between Candida yeast and Candida fungus. They are related, but the yeast is what I know has taken over my body. Yeast thrives on sugar. Hence by eliminating sugar, it gives the Candida nothing to feed on. If you don't believe that, that's fine and if you think I'm crazy, that's fine too. That will not stop me from following this diet, as I have heard from more than enough people how much the Candida diet has helped them.
    I posted this in search of other people on the diet, not medical advice. Not sure why you're so adamant about me seeing a doctor.

I can't agree more!
    Doctors are usually missing things with me. You keep doing it because the Candida diet is important to keeping your body free of harmful organisms,not just the candida albicans.

I had it but when I used metagenics brand parex plus and bactrex for a 16 day cleanse it got rid of it plus everything else (sorry if tmi )

If you do the diet that is great but if you do try doing a cleanse make sure to take a good probiotic afterwards to restore gut and help it heal.
    I havent craved sugar since killing them all. Nit sure if it was the candida but it certainly felt like it was causing major sugar craving. Easter has passed now and I only ate 2 small eggs maybe 40g max..now that has never been possible!

Good luck hun! Don't worry about the people on here who may think your crazy or tell you to see a doctor as they are always doing that.

Thanks for the advice! Would you mind if I added you? I would love to ask you a few questions about your experience on the diet since I am just starting out!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Great link! Thanks for posting this. Here is an excerpt:

"One popular fake illness is chronic candidiasis. Candida albicans is a fungus that colonizes about 90% of the population (meaning it is present in the body but not causing an infection or any problems). It can, however, become an infection, usually at times of stress or immunocompromise. The most common manifestations are thrush (a superficial Candida infection in the mouth) and vaginitis, also commonly referred to as a yeast infection.

Candida can also rarely cause serious systemic infection, but this is mostly restricted to those with compromised immune systems, such as patients undergoing chemotherapy or with advanced AIDS.

Candida became the focus of a fake illness beginning in 1986 with the publication of The Yeast Connection by Dr. William Crook. In this book Crook proposed the idea that systemic candidiasis, or Candida hypersensitivity, was responsible for a host of common conditions and non-specific symptoms, such as fatigue, sexual dysfunction, asthma, and psoriasis."

The science based link I posted above broadens the spectrum of people for whom yeast can become a problem, to people with IBS/IBD and ulcers. As someone who has suffered from both, I wouldn't be surprised if yeast overgrowth delayed healing at times. Or just bad bacteria. One of the treatments for yeast overgrowth suggested in my earlier link was a probiotic. This is my go to now when my IBS flares up.

I have a friend whose nutritionist put her on a candida diet. She had been trying on her own to lose weight for quite some time without success. She bought in fully to "yeast overgrowth" and "leaky gut" and has adhered rigorously to the low carb diet she was "prescribed". She's lost a lot of weight now and feels great. IMO, the voice of authority and her belief in the importance of this diet as her "one true way" were important for her success. I think she lost weight because she reduced calorie intake while adopting this low carb diet. She just needed a little "woo" to improve adherence.

• FunkyTobias
    Options

Just because there are flaws in aircraft design, it doesn't mean that flying saucers exist
    There is a big difference between Candida yeast and Candida fungus. They are related, but the yeast is what I know has taken over my body. Yeast thrives on sugar. Hence by eliminating sugar, it gives the Candida nothing to feed on.

Citation needed

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    thecandidadiet.com/coconut-oil.htm

Since most have Candida the diet makes sense if one is interested. Coconut oil being anti bacterial, fungal and virus plus a good source of fat just works well with my way of eating. I am at the 5 tablespoon daily rate noted in this article. Those who are not interested can find other candida solutions. Rx meds side effects seem to be more enhanced with age in my case.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    thecandidadiet.com/coconut-oil.htm

Since most have Candida the diet makes sense if one is interested. Coconut oil being anti bacterial, fungal and virus plus a good source of fat just works well with my way of eating. I am at the 5 tablespoon daily rate noted in this article. Those who are not interested can find other candida solutions. Rx meds side effects seem to be more enhanced with age in my case.

Let sigh.

Vetting sources. It's a thing.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    So I read that as Canadian diet lol........was curious what the heck that was
  • tincanonastring
    Options

I can't agree more!
    Doctors are usually missing things with me. You keep doing it because the Candida diet is important to keeping your body free of harmful organisms,not just the candida albicans.

I had it but when I used metagenics brand parex plus and bactrex for a 16 day cleanse it got rid of it plus everything else (sorry if tmi )

If you do the diet that is great but if you do try doing a cleanse make sure to take a good probiotic afterwards to restore gut and help it heal.
    I havent craved sugar since killing them all. Nit sure if it was the candida but it certainly felt like it was causing major sugar craving. Easter has passed now and I only ate 2 small eggs maybe 40g max..now that has never been possible!

Good luck hun! Don't worry about the people on here who may think your crazy or tell you to see a doctor as they are always doing that.

Thanks for the advice! Would you mind if I added you? I would love to ask you a few questions about your experience on the diet since I am just starting out!

*puts on Australian accent and hushed tone*

Shhh. Look at this! Oh, this is amazing! Here we have the wild confirmation bias in its natural habitat, an internet forum. Watch how the OP carefully disregards all statements that don't support her existing ideas and immediately embraces those with which she agrees. Look at that amazing lack of rationality! That's a thing of beauty right there! Not even a hint of skepticism! Crikey!
    tumblr_n7u5tgbcTm1t3cfsio1_250.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Unless you had blood drawn and have been diagnosed by lab results for it, there's no need for this diet unless you just want to be on it.
    There is so much BS on the internet that "create" problems so they can "solve" them for you by asking you to adhere to a program that's been designed by them.
    Of course it doesn't sound like the OP will listen, but hopefully others that see it will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How did you get tested for candida? I get these super itchy red bumps on my feet whenever I eat too much sugar, or if I have things like baked goods.
    I didn't get tested, but there is an at home thing you can do called the "spit test." Just google Candida spit test

Yeah, it's nonsense.

http://owndoc.com/candida-albicans/spit-test-candida-diagnosis-unreliable/
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    How did you get tested for candida? I get these super itchy red bumps on my feet whenever I eat too much sugar, or if I have things like baked goods.
    I didn't get tested, but there is an at home thing you can do called the "spit test." Just google Candida spit test

Yeah, it's nonsense.

Did you google that? ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's nonsense.

Did you google that? ;)

I was asked to google it. You know, because degrees in biology and stuff don't count. ;)
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Yeah, it's nonsense.

Did you google that? ;)

I was asked to google it. You know, because degrees in biology and stuff don't count. ;)

SHILL!!!!!!!
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So I read that as Canadian diet lol........was curious what the heck that was

Thick sliced bacon and maple syrup mainly.