5x5 strong lift

Options
So today I did deadlifts with the smith machine. I put 25 pounds on each side. I am unsure how much the bar weighs. I did do it more that 5 reps. So maybe I could increase the weight. I was only doing 15 pounds on each side so I did increase it significantly. I also attempted to do the barbell row with a 40 pound bar. This is the first time I have tried this.

I downloaded the 5x5 app on my phone. I think the initial weight that it has me starting at is more than I can lift. I am a little unsure because I do not know how much the bar itself weighs.
squats 5x5 45lbs- i think i am doing this. I have been adding 12.5lbs on each side
overhead press 5x5 45lbs- I do not think I can lift this much over my head
deadlift 1x5 95lbs- I think this is doable
bench press 5x5 45lbs- I have currently been ading 10lbs on each side
row 5x5 65lbs- questionable. I believe if I attempted it at this weight I would have to do it on the smith machine.

Does this seem right for a beginner? Why do you only do the deadlift once?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Deadlifts are taxing, especially when you get to higher weights. You only need one set.

If you can't overhead press the barbell, start with dumbbells. 10 lbs per side, or 15, or whatever you can do, until you can work up to 45 lbs.

Squats - sounds like you're good.

Bench press - sounds like you're good

Row - get off the smith machine, and just use a barbell on the floor. Start at 45 (the bar) and work your way up.

I saw your other post about your thighs. I would seriously suggest faithfully doing Stronglifts for 4-6 months and see if you like the progress. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Stronglifts and am seeing amazing progress.

There is a Stronglifts for Women group here. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

And I posted my most recent progress pics in it. It's my back, not my thighs, but my thighs look pretty freaking good, too, if I do say so myself. ;)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/948109/progress-photos#latest

• wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 The free weights (barbells) available at PF are in 10 pound increments. I would have to do 40 pounds which i did today or 50 pounds. I cant remember off hand how high they go. The dumbbells are doable for the overhead press.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 The free weights (barbells) available at PF are in 10 pound increments. I would have to do 40 pounds which i did today or 50 pounds. I cant remember off hand how high they go. The dumbbells are doable for the overhead press.

I'm confused. Barbells are the long bars you would do bench press with. They usually only come in 45 lbs. You add plate weights to them.

Dumbbells are the handheld weights that come in increments of five lbs.

So, are you overhead pressing (OHP) with dumbbells or the barbell?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you have good form, all those numbers should be doable. IF not, you should work on form and get it right.

dont use the smith machine for any of these lifts, use the free barbell so you get the full effect of the lift and learn proper form right from the beginning.

you only do deadlift sets of one because it is a movement that you need to take the time to set up strong between lifts, and rest between because its a powerful lift. At lower weights its not so bad but once you get to the heavier weight you will need that time between lifts to rest and reset.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @quiksylver296 The PF in New Mexico does not have those kinds of barbells. The plates and bar come as one unit. You do not have an option to add plates.

@SonyaCele PF does not have barbells that go that high in weight. That is why I am using the smith machine because I can add the necessary weight.

I guess it is time for me to talk to the trainer yet again and insist that he helps me develop the right form. He has already frustrated me because all he wants to do is show me the machines. Oh and he said I was not ready to do the deadlifts.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new trainer and a new gym.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

This.

You should be adding 5lb total to each exercise each time you work out. Eventually you may need to invest in smaller plates as well, as 5lb will become too much.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

or pick a program that you can do with the current equipment you have avail.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    Pf is what I can afford at the time. I am a fulltime student who has a 10 year old son and I intern. So we are a one income family. Just that membership cost can be taxing at times.

The programs I looked at either did not give me much information except book reviews or they were confusing to me. I chose to start with this one because it seemed simple enough so I could start it now.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Pf is what I can afford at the time. I am a fulltime student who has a 10 year old son and I intern. So we are a one income family. Just that membership cost can be taxing at times.

The programs I looked at either did not give me much information except book reviews or they were confusing to me. I chose to start with this one because it seemed simple enough so I could start it now.

Follow the program but drop the trainer. Many gym trainers are clueless with free weights, and I suspect at PF, all of them are.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    But I need someone to show me what the correct form is. I can look at videos all day long.. I just think it would be really beneficial to have someone there with me to tell me how to do it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Use free weights--dumbbells, cables, bands... over fixed machines. This will help your core which is the fundamental stabilizer for lifting or pulling and pushing. PF may not be is not the place for a lifting program. Maybe use that gym for your cardio and dumbbell work only. I would be suspect of the advice from their "trainers" as well.

Do you have any limitations that prevent you setting up a cage, bench and Olympic barbell set at home?

SL5x5 is great for building strength if done as prescribed. Try other programs if you are unable to use the barbell.

For stronger/bigger legs: walking lunges, high step-ups and goblet squats. Start with your own body weight. Add 5 lbs every week. Try 4 sets of 8-12 reps.

For stronger core: planks, rotations and bridges.

Try eating at maintenance if you are in a healthy weight range. You may feel bulky if you are new to lifting. Give it 4-6 weeks. Adjust your program/calories after the maintenance trial. The scale may stay the same but your body shape may be fitter.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    But I need someone to show me what the correct form is. I can look at videos all day long.. I just think it would be really beneficial to have someone there with me to tell me how to do it.

Watch the videos and start with light weights. You don't need to spend a fortune and money is tight for you right now. Find a trainer who is knowledgable (not a gym trainer) later to help you tweak your form. I'd suggest starting with Mark Rippetoe videos so you know you aren't just watching any idiot on YouTube.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @rileyes I live in a shoe box. My apartment is very small with no available room. Can you suggest an alternative program that is simple to follow. On most days I spend anywhere from 1-1.5 hours at the gym. I do about 20-25 minutes of cardio and spend about 20 minutes on my abs/core.
  • rileyes
    Options

I set up my iPad to film my lifts. I corrected many things by watching the recordings (head position, knee tracking, bracing...). I watch many YT videos too--Allan Thrall is good for teaching form.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading after "deadlifts with a smith machine....." My brain doesn't compute that......

My opinion....find a program that will allow you to use the current equipment you have.......lastly....ditch the smith machine all together.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I'm confused. Barbells are the long bars you would do bench press with. They usually only come in 45 lbs. You add plate weights to them.

@quiksylver296 - There are actually lighter barbells. Standard Olympic bar is 45 lbs approx. (in my gym they range from 41 to 47 lbs...the trainers have them marked...oh and I think there is a 35 lb one that no one uses now that I think about it). The lighter bars (usually 12-20 lbs) usually have a max capacity of 250 lbs and are slightly shorter than Olympic bars.
  • rileyes
    Options
    @rileyes I live in a shoe box. My apartment is very small with no available room. Can you suggest an alternative program that is simple to follow. On most days I spend anywhere from 1-1.5 hours at the gym. I do about 20-25 minutes of cardio and spend about 20 minutes on my abs/core.

The Landmine is great for limited space <--This is basically an Olympic barbell, weights and Landmine sleeve. You can work your full body (includes your core) in the same 20 minutes. You can lay the bar on the floor against the wall alongside your weight stack when not in use. It couldn't hurt to request one at your PF too)
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

@quiksylver296 - There are actually lighter barbells. Standard Olympic bar is 45 lbs approx. (in my gym they range from 41 to 47 lbs...the trainers have them marked...oh and I think there is a 35 lb one that no one uses now that I think about it). The lighter bars (usually 12-20 lbs) usually have a max capacity of 250 lbs and are slightly shorter than Olympic bars.

Women's bars are 15 kilo but I doubt PF has any