Protein Powders and Weight Loss Drinks?

Options
Hi friends!
How do you choose the right protein powder (and how do you know if you even need one) and what are your thoughts on all of the different supplement weight loss teas, drinks, smoothies etc....Isagenix, Shakeology etc....

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The "right" protein powder will be one that has the amount of protein (and other stuff) that you want, tastes good to you, and doesn't cost too much for your budget. People sometimes have preferences for different sources of protein (whey, soy, hemp, etc), so that can also be a factor. Nobody "needs" one, but they can be a really handy way to boost protein consumption. I like Vega because it tastes good to me, is easily available, and doesn't contain animal products (I'm vegan).

Weight loss products (teas, shakes, etc) are generally just a way to separate you from your cash.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The only reason you need one is if you can't reach your protein goals through whole food sources because of convenience, cost, etc.

I don't know much about the pre-packaged shakes, but the majority opinion here is that they're a way overpriced marketing gimic that doesn't provide much of an advantage over making your own.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would need one is if you have a particular protein target you are shooting for and having difficulty hitting it with food alone...protein powder is just a protein supplement
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Buy a protein powder if you're having trouble hit your protein goals. Tell the staff at whatever supps store you go to that you're looking for a basic whey concentrate/isolate and not looking for anything with added glutamine, BCAAs, or creatine.

Weight loss drinks are a temporary fix. They generally have you running on a major caloric deficit, with lack of carbs, and also something to "flush" your system, meaning your bowls which will have an instant result when it comes to the term "weight loss", but truly will do nothing for actual fat loss besides the minor loss from the deficit.

Save your money, get exercise, and eat at a caloric deficit if you want to burn fat. It is literally that simple. I've going on my 3rd cutting phase in less than a month to remove excess fat. After that I'll bulk back up and repeat the cycle. Weight loss is simple once you get the hang of it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You don't need any of them. Protein powder can be helpful to increase your protein intake when you want to drink a shake instead of eating a steak . . . which could explain why a tub of powder lasts so long in my house . . . Work on getting most of your nutrition from regular fresh food.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You lose the weight of the cash in your pockets