Does anyone have a good Brussels sprout recipe?

Options

Replies

• RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Take a pound of brussel sprouts, throw them in the garbage.

Hahaha I kid I kid...
  • hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like my sprouts super soft so I bake them or steam them until they are tender, then I saute them in a pan on the stove with Olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, I add onion, Mushrooms and Kale or Spinach, cook it down and sometimes I eat that with rice, or alone with some gorganzola cheese sprinkled on top. I am not a much a a meat eater, so I will eat this as a meal. I could eat brussel sprouts everyday. I love them.

I love the fact that other folks have such great idea's for my favorite Veggie.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    cut them in half..sautee in olive oil, add garlic and a couple slices of finely chopped bacon.
    Then I add some balsamic vinegar.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best thing is also the simplest. Cut them in half, drizzle a little olive oil over them, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast them at 400* F for 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven, size of the Brussels sprouts, etc.). They're super delicious like this. I think steaming or boiling them brings out that unpleasant smell and flavor, so I never, ever cook them like that. It brings back the nastiness of poorly-cooked Brussels sprouts from childhood. :P
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    cut them in half..sautee in olive oil, add garlic and a couple slices of finely chopped bacon.

Or, even better, take a whole package of bacon, chop it up, render the fat, saute the garlic in it, then add the Brussels sprouts. I can eat that every week.
  • deedee303z
    deedee303z Posts: 31
    Options
    Shave the Brussels (it will look like coleslaw) using a knife or a mandolin. Coarsely chop some pecans (or walnuts)--approx. 1/4 c.--and toss into a frying pan (no oil at this point!) over med-hi heat for a few minutes until they are nice and toasty. Add approx. 1 Tbs. of butter or olive oil and the Brussels. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Throw in some chopped dried cranberries (around 1/4 c.). Cook until Brussels are wilted but still bright. Add a Tbs. of cider vinegar. Serve.

My husband hates Brussels--but will ask for them made like this. All amounts are approx. You can use a little cold water instead of the butter--just keep some handy and add just enough at a time to keep things sizzling.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Saute 5 slices chopped turkey bacon in 1TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Remove when browned. Add1 large red apple, 2 shallots, 1 pint of halved brussel sprouts and 1 minced clove of garlic... Season WELL with salt and pepper. When apples are tender, add 1 TBSP of red wine vinegar and saute for one minute. Take off stove and stir turkey bacon back in...Yummers!
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    put them in a baggie or a plastic container that has a lid. 1TBS Olive or Coconut oil, sprinkle in some ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and some rosemary. Shake it up really well and bake in the oven at 450 for about 20-30 minutes or until the outsides are a bit crispy. Turn over a couple of times while cooking.

I'm sure this will work, as it is the only recipe in here that can 100% mask the taste of those evil buggers.
  • toddmoore83
    toddmoore83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There's a big bag of Brussels sprouts sitting in the fridge waiting to be used and I have no clue what to do with them. Any ideas?
    I put mine on skewer and drizzle with olive oil and grill them.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best thing is also the simplest. Cut them in half, drizzle a little olive oil over them, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast them at 400* F for 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven, size of the Brussels sprouts, etc.). They're super delicious like this. I think steaming or boiling them brings out that unpleasant smell and flavor, so I never, ever cook them like that. It brings back the nastiness of poorly-cooked Brussels sprouts from childhood. :P

I need to try this!
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I quarter them & pan ' fry' them.... .add 2-3 Tbsp of Newman's Own Olive Oil & vinger dressing to a skillet, and bit of grated fresh garlic, then add sprouts let them cook til just brown shake them up in the pan add 1-2 Tbsp of water, cover with a lid, and stir occassionally til they are fork tender (add a bit more water to continue steaming , if needed)..... it's so delicious

just typing the recipe made my mouth water :happy:

Bump
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like them steamed and dipped in ranch dressing.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    They are really good in a light honey mustard sauce, but I usually just boil them and add siracha sauce.
  • blingboxingal27
    Options
    Saute or bake them with garlic olive oil salt and pepper until tender and then drizzle them lightly with good balsamic vinegar.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Slice up some onions, add a few cleaned cloves of garlic throw it all in a baking dish, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake or use foil.and grill them.

mmmm want to come over and cook for me :)
  • emmasage2u
    emmasage2u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Any of these recipes would be good but I have always liked them :happy: so I can just microwave them in a steam bag and add a little light butter or olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. I think the bacon would make me over in fat grams for the day.:frown:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Cut off end of brussels sprouts and clean any old leaves off the sprout. Cut in half and place in a baking pan. Mix two tablespoons soy sauce and two tablespoons of olive oil. Pour on sprouts. Stir. Sprinkle on garlic powder (as much as you like) and some sea salt. Bake at 425 for 12.5 min and then stir. Bake for another 12.5 minutes. Enjoy!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    LOVE brussel sprouts. I slice them VERY thin. I saute them in olive oil with a bit of seasoned salt (whatever flavor you like...I have a great thai flavored salt). Cover, reduce heat to low, stir occasionally, allow to cook on low for about 15 minutes.

They are so delicious.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    They are wonderful steamed and buttered, oven roasted with herb butter, or oven roasted and sprinkled with chopped toasted nuts, or sauteed with sweet chili sauce.. Wonderful.