Are all calories created equal?

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
Hello everyone, I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, but is a calorie a calorie? Would I lose the same weight eating 2000kcal of burger king a day compared to 2000kcal of healthy foods?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yes but you would not feel as good. You would probably have more cravings and not have the same energy then if you ate a balanced diet with plenty of vegetables not only fried potatoes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out the Nutrition and Fitness Debate area -- we've discussed this a great deal over there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes - you would lose the same amount of "weight."

It's all about calories for weight loss. Healthy vs. not is about ....health. When you reduce the number of calories you eat, it's important to make more of them count.

Calories that "count" keep me full, provide protein and/or healthy fats. Calories that count provide fiber and micronutrients. A decent amount of protein is one of the things that helps me keep existing lean muscle mass (while eating at a deficit). I want fat loss, not just weight loss.

I don't have to be perfect to lose weight, but I do need improvements. I still make room for treats, but I'm mindful to get protein, fats and fiber in my daily diet. If it fits your macros is popular around here.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lost over 50lbs eating fast food 2-3 times a week, gobs of frozen 'diet' dinners, snacks/sweet treats, diet coke by the gallon etc. But along with all of that, I also eat my veggies, whole grains, fish, nuts etc. Pretty much-I eat everything I like and I haven't cut any foods I enjoy out.

Besides losing the extra weight I also improved my blood panels across the board, including getting my glucose number from the pre-diabetic range, down to the normal range (2012 it was creeping into the high teens/since 2013 it's been in the 80s). My cholesterol numbers are pretty fantastic as well.

I've been maintaining the loss now for a while too (with some bumps in the road here and there, but overall doing good/current bmi is 21.5). My doctor is happy with where I'm at and she's told me to keep doing what I'm doing :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a measureable unit.

It can differ no more than an inch can.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Hey NA1979, please read the book "Always Hungry?" by Dr. David Ludwig. He explains what our bodies do with a calorie of fat, a calorie of protein, and a calorie of carbohydrate. Good Luck!
  • NA1979
    Options
    I suppose though, although a calorie is a calorie, depending on what look you go for aesthetically, surely it must matter, if I wanted to lean out to say 10% bodyfat looking like a muscular athlete, than the type of food I eat should matter or shouldn't it? So someone who worked out and ate clean, would they look any different from someone who worked out and ate dirty but the same calories?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    I suppose though, although a calorie is a calorie, depending on what look you go for aesthetically, surely it must matter, if I wanted to lean out to say 10% bodyfat looking like a muscular athlete, than the type of food I eat should matter or shouldn't it? So someone who worked out and ate clean, would they look any different from someone who worked out and ate dirty but the same calories?

Depending on what you mean by "dirty," we have members here who regularly eat foods that are labeled as "dirty" and have bodies that are incredible.

I don't think you can tell by looking at someone's body whether they eat "clean" or not.
  • NA1979
    Options
    I'll have a quick look @vikinglander
  • NA1979
    Options

Depending on what you mean by "dirty," we have members here who regularly eat foods that are labeled as "dirty" and have bodies that are incredible.

I don't think you can tell by looking at someone's body whether they eat "clean" or not.

Damn them people and their good genetics and fast metabolisms!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, but is a calorie a calorie? Would I lose the same weight eating 2000kcal of burger king a day compared to 2000kcal of healthy foods?

"Burger King" is pretty ambiguous. What are you ordering for those 2,000 calories?
  • frankw888
    frankw888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This question is a lot like "which weighs more, 100 pounds of bricks or a 100 pounds of feathers?"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I think you mean decent macros and progressive lifting routines. Diet can impact a person's body composition, but not because a calorie is a calorie or eating clean gives better results. Your body doesn't care if the protein came from McD's or a homemade burger as long as you're getting enough and doing some kind of resistance work to preserve the muscle.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No, I don't think that's it at all. These people track their intake (that is, eat at a deficit to lose weight or eat as much as they burn to maintain their weight) and tend to be really into fitness (resistance training especially). They aren't lucky -- they just understand that "clean" and "dirty" are pretty meaningless designations for food. We have macronutrient goals we have to meet -- that is important. But "clean" versus "dirty" doesn't mean much.

If I eat too much sweet potato (that is, if it puts me over my calorie goals), it's going to impact me just as it would if I eat too many french fries. And, as long as my nutritional needs are met, my body isn't going to look better just because I don't eat certain things.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Very interesting to gauge people's opinions on this!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Would all equivalent calorie intakes have equivalent results? No. Eating the same macros would have virtually identical results though. Hormonal reaction to fast food and "healthy" food of a similar macronutritent profile is more alike than the macros of the food used:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

All calories are equal in the same way all inches are equal. Not all foods, nor macros are the same, however, particularly in terms of composition influence.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. This has nothing to do with the nutrition of individual items though.

And I wish I had good genetics. Lol
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Very few people have a large difference in their basal metabolic rate. 96% of people fall within less than +/-300 calories of that average, and that's 96% of all adults, men, women, tall, short. Most differences in weight come down to activity and calories in.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, basically, but that doesn't mean a food is a food or that protein is a carb, of course. People pretend to misunderstand this all the time, in order to confuse the discussion.

As others have said, a calorie is a unit of energy, and how many you take in (and your body can actually access) vs. how many you use (calories out) will determine whether you add or subtract from your overall mass.

There are important differences in nutrition and macros (a diet very low in essential fats or protein is going to kill you over time, but of course almost no one is a society with access to food is going to accidentally have such a diet, even if they eat all BK, which has lots of fat and protein available). A bigger grey area is that protein intake could affect whether you lose more fat or more muscle, although other factors (how much fat you have, how big your deficit it, whether you are active/doing strength training) are going to make more of a difference, especially if you have a normal protein intake (i.e., within a broad range).

Also, what you eat can make it harder or easier to stick to 2000 (or whatever), although IMO that's a separate issue from the question you asked.

There are small differences in the amount we burn digesting and using calories (added to calories out), but in comparing normal diets with mixed macros, that won't make much of a difference. I think meat, higher fiber foods, nuts are some foods that are possibly overstated in how many calories they have or which at least some people tend to obtain fewer calories from them (there's a variation on this, but it has to do with obtaining fewer calories than the max, not more than. Foods can't magically be more fattening than the number of calories they contain, as when people claim they'd gain weight on 1200 calories of cookies. They'd be unhealthy, but lose.)

Arguably, it's easier to overestimate calories if eating lots of low cal and filling foods and easier to underestimate when eating lots of less filling high cal stuff, especially things from restaurants or made by others -- I think this is one part of why people sometimes do better switching away from lots of cookies and cakes and restaurant food (although simply not being able to stick to the deficit is likely a bigger part).
  • NA1979
    Options
    Everyone who has responded to me certainly knows what they are talking about, everything sounds plausible and everyone is very knowledgeable!