Those Pesky Stretch-marks!

Options
Now I would like to start out by expressing that many women have stretch-marks because they have given birth and those marks are a sign of beauty! Your body goes through an amazing transformation in order to give life and I find that one of the most beautiful things you can do. These marks are something to be proud of!

But...mine are from food! Something I'm not proud of! I'm even embarrassed by them. I've never really looked for things to help my stretch-marks so I don't know where to start. What suggestions do you have? What's worked for you?

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my stretch marks, but cocoa butter might help.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    They will never go away, but they will fade over time, or at least stop being the bright red/purple color new marks can be.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Time is the best remedy for stretchmarks. The bright red color will fade out to white. If you don't scar easily they will eventually fade away completely. The best thing you can do is not gain anymore weight to avoid more stretchmarks. Keeping your skin hydrated with lotion and drinking plenty of water couldn't hurt.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    On Saturday I did my first session of CO2 resurfacing to try and make my stretch marks look a little better. I'm still healing but I can already see a small difference. The doctor said I will probably need 4 sessions so I'm curious to see how I turn out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for scar tissue should work with stretch marks. I don't use anything because I don't care.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight but I have them. I think most women have them. You'd be best off to just accept them--they're nothing to be ashamed of
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Palmer's Cocoa Butter oil is great for stretch marks and scars and it smells great!!!
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bio-oil. They don't disappear but they will fade significantly.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Any oil or moisturizer that's easily absorbed into your skin will help. Lots of water to keep your body and skin hydrated will help. Most likely, depending on how big and deep they are, they may never fully go away, just fade in appearance. It just takes time, patience and a lot of maintenance. I used to have them on my shoulders and inner biceps because my muscles grew faster than my skin could at one point but now they've faded and are almost imperceptible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are scars. Topicals camouflage them, but like scars they never go away. Genetics, age, and skin elasticity matter here, but many topicals only affect the surface and stretch marks go below the epidermis layer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I got stretch marks during puberty on my hips and breasts. It wasn't from being fat - just from growing too quickly for my skin.

I don't like to classify any stretch marks as pride or shame inducing. Should I be proud of going through puberty or ashamed? Neither makes sense since I had zero control over it. Our bodies change for different reasons. Sometimes our skin keeps up and sometimes it doesn't. NBD.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I got stretch marks during puberty on my hips and breasts. It wasn't from being fat - just from growing too quickly for my skin.

I don't like to classify any stretch marks as pride or shame inducing. Should I be proud of going through puberty or ashamed? Neither makes sense since I had zero control over it. Our bodies change for different reasons. Sometimes our skin keeps up and sometimes it doesn't. NBD.

Chiming in as a guy in the exact same boat. Nothing to worry about :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cdgross81 wrote: »
    Bio-oil. They don't disappear but they will fade significantly.

I tried this and it didnt do a thing for mine. didnt fade them at all. losing weight is what helped mine. mine too was mostly from a growth spurt and small weight gain when I was a preteen. then I got the rest after having 2 kids. I know they will be there the rest of my life. even cosmetic surgery cannot get rid of them. so Im stuck with them and Im fine with it. a lot of people have them.