Lower Sodium.... HOW??

Options
I have been logging my foods for 3 weeks now and it seems that I am always over my sodium intake for the day. I was born and raised in New Orleans where we love to over season everything. I grew up knowing that wearing rings the day after a crawfish boil was a challenge because your hands would still be swollen from the salt. I'm trying to be conscious of the amount of salt (blackening seasoning, Tony's Chachere's) I cook with but once it's all logged in I am way over the amount I should be at. Any advice or tips on how to lower my sodium but not completely change the flavors that I'm use to?

Replies

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Less packaged food. and in cooking their are plenty of other spices you can use. I love carious types of peppers, plus onion and garlic pepper.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sodium lover checking in. Unfortunately, I don't know know what to tell you about lowering sodium. I myself like my foods with flavor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    most issues with sodium aren't due to people seasoning home cooked meals...sodium issues are generally attributable primarily to eating a lot of processed food goods and eating out a lot.

More whole foods and less pre-packaged processed foods...less eating out.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    That's a challenge - your palate is accustomed to salt and my guess is that if you reduce salt in seasonings all at once, things will taste pretty lifeless. I see that Tony's Chachere's makes a "lite" seasoning which might be worth a try - maybe blended with the normal gradually reducing the usual in favor of the "lite." Or make your own seasoning blend (which is what I do). Processed meat, canned beans & tomatoes will also add to sodium and this might be a place you can cut down. Even doing all these things I am "over" the recommended sodium intake on a day I cook Creole and so I do it less frequently ~ Good luck!
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am the opposite and need to increase my sodium. I am usually between 800 and 1200mg/day. Since I am a runner I have to be conscious to keep my salt intake up as I lose so much through sweat.

I basically live on brown rice, quinoa, fresh veggies, meat, whole fat dairy, and beans/legumes. Prepare everything from scratch, no packaged foods, and just add a little salt if needed.

Mind you, when I indulge I do it well, and probably consume several days' worth of sodium, I just don't do that very often any more.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Get normal spices like cumin, oregano, or whatever is in the mixes you use and make your own mix with no salt or less salt.
  • cheer4beer
    cheer4beer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I grew up near New Orleans. I've accepted the fact that sodium will always be high for me because I'm not giving up my preferred flavors (I'm more partial to Slap Ya Mama seasoning). I'm not a Dr but my understanding is that if you don't have any conditions that make sodium a problem like high bp, sodium isn't really that evil. Just know that you'll always be carrying an extra lb or 2 due to having it in your system.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, less pre-packaged foods. Fresh vegetables or bagged/steamable vegetables. You can buy seasoning like Mrs. Dash that doesn't have salt. Some canned foods have no salt added, which will say on the front of the packaging. Same for broths.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Cook from scratch. Do not add salt.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on the seasoning a little with each serving, and try making your own versions that have less sodium, or add additional spices (IE add more chili powder, pepper, basil, etc) to existing ones you do use so you're not using as much of the pre-made.
    My parents always had high blood pressure so I'm usually already on the low salt side, on the plus side, it packs more of a punch in making food flavors stand out.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like using cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper to help make my food spicier without adding any additional sodium than my recipe already calls for. If we are grilling I will grill some jalapeno peppers to eat with my meal. I still like to use Texas Pete and other hot sauces, but this works really well since I like to add heat to almost all my dinners.

• CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am also from Cajun Country, and you are right, we love our seasoning! When I first started logging, I had the same problem with my sodium levels. Then I noticed that when I lowered the sodium intake, the scale went down (water loss I'm sure). I love Tony's seasoning, but it is insanely high in sodium. You could try the lower salt version, but from experience, I'll tell you it's not the same. I still use it, but I am more careful of the amount now.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble lowering sodium, you may want to try and increase potassium as it is the balance between the two that leads to water retention.
  • ladixson1
    ladixson1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions for you. 1 - Try no salt seasonings. There are plenty to choose from and not just from Mrs Dash anymore. 2 - Google search low sodium spice blend recipes. There are a ton out there. Are you going to get the exact same flavor as what you have now? No, of course not because the blend will be different, but it will still (probably) be good. Also, I agree with everyone else, ditch the pre-packaged and processed foods (if your eating them). If you do that, you might be able to splurge a little more on the seasonings you do love.
  • XanManMom
    XanManMom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. This will be one of the hardest things for me to change, but I'll sure give it a try!

• wowser5
    wowser5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cheese has a lot of sodium as well if you are eating cheese everyday!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a blood pressure problem, sodium usually isn't a concern. Yes, you will retain water but only a pound or two. No big deal and losing weight is a comparative exercise. Weight (with sodium) then versus weight (with sodium) now. Just keep an eye on BP over time. If you lower sodium gradually, your taste for it does change. I also noticed that lower sodium levels perked up my taste buds and I was able to enjoy other favouring and complex wines more. Not a bad trade off.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    Less packaged food. and in cooking their are plenty of other spices you can use. I love carious types of peppers, plus onion and garlic pepper.

+1
    packaged food is typically very high in sodium.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Spices, spices, spices. New Orleans is famous for spices.
    Stay away from processed foods, they all have added sodium and sugars.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As so many others have said, home-cooking means you have much better control over sodium content. This includes making your own broth and stocks. Canned fruit/veggies such as tomatoes and beans, etc. come in a "low-sodium" version. Also, I tend to not add any salt during cooking, since I end up not detecting it in flavor by the time the dish is done. I've found that adding a measured amount of salt right before I eat something makes it just as tasty. And "bigger" salt, or coarse-ground is also easier to detect in flavor, as is (in my opinion) onion salt.