Always feeling guilty

Options
Does anyone else find themselves feeling guilty for eating? I've started my weightloss journey around 2 months ago and I've noticed even when I'm eating within my calorie budget I feel guilty when my stomachs full. Before this journey I could eat 3 times as much as what I eat now and not feel guilty at all.

Replies

• PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would try eating the right kinds of food in more generous amounts. If you eat bad kinds of food in smaller amounts I found that I would feel awful too. I switched out my sweets for fruit and cookies for whole foods and felt better. Guilt was a big reason why I started improving my diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No. Stop that nonsense :worried:
    Maybe this can help you: What is Normal Eating?
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would try eating the right kinds of food in more generous amounts. If you eat bad kinds of food in smaller amounts I found that I would feel awful too. I switched out my sweets for fruit and cookies for whole foods and felt better. Guilt was a big reason why I started improving my diet.

Thanks for your response the type of food isn't the issue as I've been eating a lot more healthier foods e.g. Salads/veggies/fruits and have cut out most fizzy drinks/chocolates. It's just whenever I eat anything for lunch or dinner I feel guilty. :S
  • FlabToFitty
    Options

Thanks for the link cheered me up :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty?
    Do you think that you have to be starving to lose weight?

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Do NOT feel guilty- we ALL must eat it is a natural process. Try hard not to let yourself- guilt yourself into an eating disorder or something- IF it continue for too long- you may need to talk to "somebody'- a counselor, nutrition expert- someone- good luck- and remember we ALL have to eat-
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have an idea what you mean... but I don't feel "guilty", I feel "fat", no matter what I eat... Good or Bad, not that I really consider any food "bad" but you get my meaning. I just don't let it get to me though..because I know that in reality I'm not, and that I'm doing everything right... I've been doing this for almost a year and have lost and kept off 27+ pounds. So I'm not fat and I shouldn't feel that way... but I do admit, it helps me a little because those few moments I feel like I am fat reminds me how much I don't ever want to be fat again!
  • FlabToFitty
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty?
    Thanks for your response that's a really great question but I'm not too sure why I feel guilty I think it's because I work so hard at the gym and then eating is so easy.
  • FlabToFitty
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Do NOT feel guilty- we ALL must eat it is a natural process. Try hard not to let yourself- guilt yourself into an eating disorder or something- IF it continue for too long- you may need to talk to "somebody'- a counselor, nutrition expert- someone- good luck- and remember we ALL have to eat-

Thanks Alot for your advice!
  • FlabToFitty
    Options
    I have an idea what you mean... but I don't feel "guilty", I feel "fat", no matter what I eat... Good or Bad, not that I really consider any food "bad" but you get my meaning. I just don't let it get to me though..because I know that in reality I'm not, and that I'm doing everything right... I've been doing this for almost a year and have lost and kept off 27+ pounds. So I'm not fat and I shouldn't feel that way... but I do admit, it helps me a little because those few moments I feel like I am fat reminds me how much I don't ever want to be fat again!

Yeah that's exactly what I mean I feel fat and guilty. But that's because I am actually fat. (218lbs)
  • TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty?

I'd guess so because we've been taught, that it takes extreme effort & to figure that it doesn't, sometimes makes us feel like fools & thus guilt ensues because we'd rather believe the former, as it doesn't insult; our intelligence. Sometimes it's more difficult to be wrong, concerning our beliefs; than it is to admit that we were.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This actually made me tear up a little. Thank you. That was really helpful for me today. I gave up popcorn for Lent and felt a little guilty on Sunday when I had some popcorn now that Lent is over. Like I felt better about myself for giving it up. Oh boy, the psychological aspects of weight loss are something else!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well, even if you are "fat" are you not working on "not being fat"? So don't feel bad... it's a process and it takes time. Just do what you know you need to do and if you get to that "guilty" place, don't dwell there.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're not alone though. I hate hitting my calorie target (which is already quite low for a 45 yr old male in the 270 lb range). I have to force myself to remember that the goal is what is healthy and being below isn't supposed to be. But I hear you. For me it's not about feeling full, it's about that little number on the screen and staying under it, usually too much under it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in order to survive. Why would I feel guilty for wanting to live?
  • FlabToFitty
    Options
    GMAC2016 wrote: »
    You're not alone though. I hate hitting my calorie target (which is already quite low for a 45 yr old male in the 270 lb range). I have to force myself to remember that the goal is what is healthy and being below isn't supposed to be. But I hear you. For me it's not about feeling full, it's about that little number on the screen and staying under it, usually too much under it.

Hey thanks for your response.
    I'm glad (and not glad at the same time) that I'm not alone in this because although it's good to know I'm not the only one going through this, I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it aswell! Who knew weightloss would be so mentally challenging!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You are feeling that, imo, because you don't have a good plan or trust in your plan. It's fear and anxiety from uncertainty, like bad things could happen to you again and outside of your control.

I have a solid plan which I fully trust. I can eat out with friends and family even at buffets, stuff to my gills and know with certainty that my plan will take care of it. There's nothing for me to fear or worry about.

So, do your homework, have a plan. Prove to yourself that your plan work. Then, stick to it. We don't get anxious traveling a well trodden path.
  • FlabToFitty
    Options
    You are feeling that, imo, because you don't have a good plan or trust in your plan. It's fear and anxiety from uncertainty, like bad things could happen to you again and outside of your control.

I have a solid plan which I fully trust. I can eat out with friends and family even at buffets, stuff to my gills and know with certainty that my plan will take care of it. There's nothing for me to fear or worry about.

So, do your homework, have a plan. Prove to yourself that your plan work. Then, stick to it. We don't get anxious traveling a well trodden path.

Wow thank you that's true I don't trust my plan and your comment has made me realise most importantly I don't trust myself, never have. Thank you