Any skilled or expert swimmer out there?

Options
Rit1603
Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
I have lots of questions

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for 43 years. Don't know if that will help me answer your questions until I see them.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been swimming for 43 years. Don't know if that will help me answer your questions until I see them.

Thank you! I started two months back and not very expert i took some lessons as i didn't know how to swim. Now i do 45 min 3/4 times a week but still i can't catch breath so i take breaks in between lenghts . What i am saying is that i can't swim continuously. Is it still too early? For instance today my heart rate got so high that i felt like i was sweating on my face!

Plus i have not mastered the breathing path : i tried every 4 strokes and i can have better posture but i do not arrive at the end of lenght(like at 3/4 i am out of air in the lungs, pool is oltmpic size), every three strokes i take water on one side like if i sink more on that side) and every two i like it but i feel like body position is not coordinated .

Should i be patient? I find it very hard , plus i loose count of the lenghts really and i end up watching clock all the time i feel lik i can't count! Maybe i should try clear mi mind when im there....or take more private lessons

Thanks
  • kshama2001
    Options
    What strokes are you doing? The crawl (aka freestyle) is hardest for me.

When I was getting back into swimming after a break, I swam down the length of the pool using the crawl, back with the backstroke, down with breast stroke, back with backstroke. As I built endurance, I did more crawl. So alternate the stroke that is making you tired with one that is easier for you.

Does your pool have kickboards? Since you're having problems breathing, you could practice just kicking and breathing.

I wouldn't worry about counting lengths right now - you have too many other things to coordinate :)

Sure, more lessons might be good as well.
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh, I just noticed that you are swimming for 45 minutes - that's actually a LOT for a beginner to do at once. You could cut it back a bit or not be so hard on yourself for taking breaks :)

I'm reteaching myself to ice skate and only do 20-25 minutes at a time, with (short) breaks.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    Oh, I just noticed that you are swimming for 45 minutes - that's actually a LOT for a beginner to do at once. You could cut it back a bit or not be so hard on yourself for taking breaks :)

I'm reteaching myself to ice skate and only do 20-25 minutes at a time, with (short) breaks.

Thanks i am doing freestyle and when i am tired i go back breaststroke then again freestyle

Backstroke i can do only half lenght then i feel like i dont know what i am doing anymore, get extremely tired all of a sudden at midlenght and give up! Yes the pool is equipped with everything i used the hands paddles and with those help me a lot staying more afloat when breathing and i have less problems doing the lenghts even though is harder as i work my arms more with those

BUT WHAT is an adequate routine to loose weight? I dont think i have willpower to do 5 times a week!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    While there are lots of great reasons to exercise, you actually don't need to do this to lose weight - you just have to create a calorie deficit. Are you logging all your food and eating under the calories MFP gives you?
  • kshama2001
    Options
  • Rit1603
    Options
    Thanks that is what i needed! I joined the group! You helped me big deal!!