Starting to give up...help.

I started a thread a couple of days ago. I'm 19, 5'5'' and 140 lbs. I've been trying to lose weight for over 6 weeks but I've seen no progress. I've been tracking my food, followed the MFP and NEAT etc etc. I've been going spinning 3-4x a week and i've been under 1600 calories the last couple of days and under 1200 calories the last few weeks. I've cut virtually all sweets (except for today) and I'm not seeing any results. I am just maintaining my weight.

I've gotten my blood and thyroid checked and everything is normal. I've gained the freshman 15 and now I can't take it off. I'm tired, frustrated and I just feel awful. I used to be 120 lbs and now I'm 20 lbs heavier. Why can't I take this weight off. What's wrong with me?

And FYI, don't give me the typical "love yourself" and "appreciate your body" because it sucks. Right now, I'm a size 6...I'd really like to go back to being a 2 or 4. You don't understand when your parents tell you everyday how fat you are and when your coworkers make comments so don't tell me that I should learn to love myself.

I just want advice. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    post pics lets see what u got
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    seeing your diary could be helpful
  • Okay guys, I've made it public.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Its hard to tell because you are not consistent with logging your food. There are even some days that you are WAY under your goal which I will assume you just did not fill out the rest of the day. I think if you start logging every thing that goes in your mouth every day then you might be able to see where the culprit is. I would start there
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    ^^ i agree.

additionally, 1200 isnt enough food for consistent loss...u need to properly fuel your body- especially if you are exercising a lot.

do you care more about FAT loss or WEIGHT loss? if u care about the first, up your calories in a healthy way- eat more protein and healthy fats and lift weights- u will start to see your body change for the better.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    ^^ i agree.

additionally, 1200 isnt enough food for consistent loss...u need to properly fuel your body- especially if you are exercising a lot.

do you care more about FAT loss or WEIGHT loss? if u care about the first, up your calories in a healthy way- eat more protein and healthy fats and lift weights- u will start to see your body change for the better.

This....
  • BlackBeltInTraining
    BlackBeltInTraining Posts: 30 Member
    Yes, make sure you definitely eat 1200 calories a day minimum! The catch with this rule is you can easily work around it. Lets say you want to only eat 700 calories in one day. Well, that just isn't healthy, lets be honest. Yet, what you can always do is go ahead and work out, burning 500 calories and then getting down to the 700 mark. To effectively lose weight in my experience you need to mix both working out with calories.

Don't give up! I'm 18 and in the same boat as you, trying to lose weight and so far with diet and exercise I've been able to lose two pounds already. Just make sure you are eating enough and logging EVERYTHING. You never really realize how much you're actually eating until you start to log it!

If you ever need any more advice or support I'm always here! Feel free to add me /message me!
  • I skipped a couple of days because I haven't seen results with MFP. Should I be eating less than 1200? I feel like on days that I don't excercise eating more than that is just going to make me maintain or gain weight. Should I eat less than 1000 calories a day?

I want to lose weight. I've got all of that weight in my stomach and hips.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    you said you follow NEAT and MFP but how can that be if you are not eating all your cals. You need to reevaluate your goals and determine exactly how many cals you are supposed to eat so you can lose.

Also start lifting, your form will start to change and you will get fit in short order.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    I skipped a couple of days because I haven't seen results with MFP. Should I be eating less than 1200? I feel like on days that I don't excercise eating more than that is just going to make me maintain or gain weight. Should I eat less than 1000 calories a day?

are you not reading the advice we have all given you?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I am also 5'5" tall, and I was stuck at 140 pounds for the longest time. My problem was simple: I wasn't eating enough and I was doing too much cardio (making the calorie deficit even bigger).

Last summer, I survived on 1200-1400 calories a day. I increased to around 1500-1650 through the winter, and the scale moved slightly. But when I calculated my TDEE and found that 1500 calories was about a 35% deficit, I knew then that I was undereating severely and I had not realized it. Those 1200 calories were closer to 50% of what I was supposed to be eating to maintain (TDEE) so that was nearly starvation, quite literally.

I currently eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. I only do *maybe* 1 or 2 cardio sessions per week (I strength train 4 days a week). I have been dropping fat like there's no tomorrow since starting doing this. In fact, I've lost 6 pounds last month and weigh 134 now. I am wearing size 4 whereas I was in a size 6 last month. I am continuing to lose fat and weight, and I have confidence that I will be wearing a size 2 by August if I keep up with my nutrition and strength training.

Far too many girls cut way too many calories. Find out what your TDEE is, then subtract about 15% from that number. Eat that many calories a day. You don't need a bigger deficit than that since you are already fairly lean wearing a size 6 and 140 pounds. Bigger deficits are only healthy for bigger people with lots more weight to lose. Those last few pounds, like you are trying to banish, go away faster when you eat a smaller deficit.

I learned the hard way. I wanted to be size 2 before summer started, not when it was coming to an end. But, I will have the rest of the summers of my life to enjoy what I am doing with this summer. :flowerforyou:
  • Jengland09
    Jengland09 Posts: 4 Member
    You might also want to invest in a tape measure or a body fat caliper. Sometimes your body will lose inches and not weight. Just like everyone else has said though, make sure you are logging religiously for awhile to see what your calories are actually like. I eat around 1200 calories of lean protein, fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. There seems to be a big debate about calorie requirements but I eat 1200 calories and am satisfied and not hungry throughout the day (I have started to eat more frequently though). I also workout 4 days a week for 40 minutes (high intensity). You need to make sure you are working out (cardio and strength training). So, if you are eating 1200 healthy calories and working out you should have a big enough deficit to begin to lose weight. Weight once a week (this was really hard for me at first), around the same time and in the nude. NEVER give up!! If you give up you definitely will not lose weight. Also, I almost forgot drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

Most importantly, everyone is different. Find what works for you. If you plateau, mix things up and see if something else works.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I skipped a couple of days because I haven't seen results with MFP. Should I be eating less than 1200? I feel like on days that I don't excercise eating more than that is just going to make me maintain or gain weight. Should I eat less than 1000 calories a day?

are you not reading the advice we have all given you?

+1
    you are not eating enough.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Holy crap, I just wanted to say CONGRATS to lacroyx for the 204 pounds lost that I see in your ticker. WOW! :flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Holy crap, I just wanted to say CONGRATS to lacroyx for the 204 pounds lost that I see in your ticker. WOW! :flowerforyou:
    thank you! :blushing:
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 267 Member
    I am also 5'5" tall, and I was stuck at 140 pounds for the longest time. My problem was simple: I wasn't eating enough and I was doing too much cardio (making the calorie deficit even bigger).

Last summer, I survived on 1200-1400 calories a day. I increased to around 1500-1650 through the winter, and the scale moved slightly. But when I calculated my TDEE and found that 1500 calories was about a 35% deficit, I knew then that I was undereating severely and I had not realized it. Those 1200 calories were closer to 50% of what I was supposed to be eating to maintain (TDEE) so that was nearly starvation, quite literally.

I currently eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. I only do *maybe* 1 or 2 cardio sessions per week (I strength train 4 days a week). I have been dropping fat like there's no tomorrow since starting doing this. In fact, I've lost 6 pounds last month and weigh 134 now. I am wearing size 4 whereas I was in a size 6 last month. I am continuing to lose fat and weight, and I have confidence that I will be wearing a size 2 by August if I keep up with my nutrition and strength training.

Far too many girls cut way too many calories. Find out what your TDEE is, then subtract about 15% from that number. Eat that many calories a day. You don't need a bigger deficit than that since you are already fairly lean wearing a size 6 and 140 pounds. Bigger deficits are only healthy for bigger people with lots more weight to lose. Those last few pounds, like you are trying to banish, go away faster when you eat a smaller deficit.

I learned the hard way. I wanted to be size 2 before summer started, not when it was coming to an end. But, I will have the rest of the summers of my life to enjoy what I am doing with this summer. :flowerforyou:

See this is where I get totally confused! I am also 5' 5" and currently 134lbs. If I were to eat 1800-2000 calories per day I would definitely not loose, I would gain. No doubt! Have done it at weekends!

Okay I hear you all saying everyone is different - but that much?! I loose on between 1200 and 1460. I do my exercise bike for 45 minutes and hand weights for 10 minutes every day. Oh if only I could eat 1800-2000 and loose :drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you only have a small amount to lose so my advice would be to set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week, and eat back exercise calories.

try and eat plenty of fruit & veg and lean protein.

include some strength training in your regular exercise, and most importantly, be PATIENT!

i am 5ft5 and 132lbs (ish!), and i lose bodyfat eating NET1800 cals. my maintnenance is around NET 2000. you dont need to eat less than 1200 to lose weight
  • TDEE says I need to eat 2170 calories a day. How can this be? Wouldn't I be gaining weight by increasing my calorie intake? I'm not very active outside of doing my usual spinning so I'm confused....forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that I need to eat above 1200 calories to lose weight.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    If you take off 15% of your TDEE that puts you ate about 1850 calories. You are not eating enough. 1200 calories NET is the very least you should ever eat. Anything less is not enough to keep your body going.
  • Yes but you'd think that if I did not eat enough to keep my body going, it would start using fat and I'd lose weight. Just thinking..