Lower abs

Options
What exercises do you recommend for lower abs? It's my main problem. They don't look flat like I want them to. I had a baby and my lower part of my stomach won't go completely flat. I feel like I've tried everything. I really need some ideas. Thank you

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you cannot spot reduce. you can do some core work to strengthen your ab muscles but it all comes down to a caloric deficit to lose fat. it comes off where it wants to. there is no exercise that will target that area. fat has to come off first.it also can depend on if you have had a c-section or have diastasis recti(can make it harder to get that flat look most women want).I have been working out 4 years and I still have a little pooch,due to some belly fat. but its slowly coming off. its hard work to be honest with you.
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I work really hard I've even had like no fat on my stomach at one time but thought I looked to skinny. It's the hardest thing I've had to try to do.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    you cannot spot reduce. you can do some core work to strengthen your ab muscles but it all comes down to a caloric deficit to lose fat. it comes off where it wants to. there is no exercise that will target that area. fat has to come off first.it also can depend on if you have had a c-section or have diastasis recti(can make it harder to get that flat look most women want).I have been working out 4 years and I still have a little pooch,due to some belly fat. but its slowly coming off. its hard work to be honest with you.

x2
  • deannaelaine1993
    deannaelaine1993 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Look into anterior pelvic tilt maybe? Sometimes the pooch isn't belly fat. My belly even at 93lbs was never completely flat. After doing digging about why my lower back hurts too bad when I try to plank I learned its from that. Just a thought!
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges really help the core along with lifting (even light weights)... plus it'll give you a great booty!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Based on the information in your profile, you have a few options. Since you are in the 20%+ body fat range, it's possible you will need to cut down to 16-18%. If that doesn't work, it's possible you will need to bulk to add new muscle and follow it by another cut. Abs, is not about body weight, but rather body composition. It's not uncommon to see similar issues with those underweight.

What kind of lifting program do you follow?
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Options
    I actual don't follow a program I kinda just wing it at the gym when it comes to my lifting. But I do lift. I do squats and lunges to. Thanks for all the advice everyone!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Look into anterior pelvic tilt maybe? Sometimes the pooch isn't belly fat. My belly even at 93lbs was never completely flat. After doing digging about why my lower back hurts too bad when I try to plank I learned its from that. Just a thought!

+1 ,this very well could be APT
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I actual don't follow a program I kinda just wing it at the gym when it comes to my lifting. But I do lift. I do squats and lunges to. Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

Winging it is probably one of your issues. You probably arent maximizing volume or frequency. I would start with a structured lifting program such as NROL4W or strong curves, and cut a bit more fat. If you still dont get the progress you want after 6 months, then you might have to consider a bulk/cut cycle to improve body composition.
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to look into that. That might be the problem!!