• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    Yeah. Healthy stuff is rubbish. Avoid just about all of the suggestions which go in the recipes section here. Just have a burger, albeit a smaller one.

Yeah, don't listen to this.

Yeah!!!! You go and eat that appealing cabbage salad!!!!

@eldamiano My diet is full of incredible tasting food that I cook daily. All types of meats, vegetables, and, yes, salads that are delicious. Eating healthy is only bland and boring if you make it.

You want to fill your body with trash, go ahead. Some people are actually here to get fit. Yes, you can eat donuts and pizza to hit your caloric goal. But hitting your caloric goal does not equal health.

If I want to say that cabbage is boring, I can. It doesnt make you a pariah because you enjoy it, nor does it make me unhealthy if I dont.

Nobody is trying to be a pariah. However, saying that excess is the only thing that effects health is utterly stupid.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Healthy stuff is rubbish. Avoid just about all of the suggestions which go in the recipes section here. Just have a burger, albeit a smaller one.

@eldamiano My diet is full of incredible tasting food that I cook daily. All types of meats, vegetables, and, yes, salads that are delicious. Eating healthy is only bland and boring if you make it.

You want to fill your body with trash, go ahead. Some people are actually here to get fit. Yes, you can eat donuts and pizza to hit your caloric goal. But hitting your caloric goal does not equal health.

This ^

But I couldn't agree more with your first point, I cook all my own meals 5/6 daily the bulk of that, 80% of the time, is the same as the previous day. I'm forever being told that my diet must be boring and bland. I then have to disagree, its fresh, tasty and contains exactly what I want it too.

Just because you cant cook and have over indulged in packaged foods doesn't mean the healthy foods can't be tasty.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "healthy". What makes a food healthy in your mind and what doesn't? Check recipe blogs and experiment with what you order when you go out to eat. Food should not be boring or unappetizing. If it is then you're doing it wrong.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

If I want to say that cabbage is boring, I can. It doesnt make you a pariah because you enjoy it, nor does it make me unhealthy if I dont.

Nobody is trying to be a pariah. However, saying that excess is the only thing that effects health is utterly stupid.

If only I had actually said that....
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I would buy some sea salt (I like Real Salt which comes from volcanic rock sediment in Utah or something) and use it liberally on these healthy foods you find bland. Pizza, nuggets, rotisserie chickens... all these foods would be unappetizing if you took out the sodium. It's all in the salt, bro. But use the salt that contains trace minerals.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It depends on what you think "healthy" means and what you are used to. I dreaded starting to eat better, because I imagined it would taste bleh. Of course skinless chicken breast and rice cakes taste bleh. Especially compared to a diet of chips and cookies. But you don't have to eat skinless chicken breast and rice cakes. Everything can be eaten in the proper amounts, but some foods are more satisfying than others, and balance and variety is important. Now I eat better than ever, and enjoy eating more than ever. I even love cooking. Oh, a suggestion. Look up "the pleasure trap".
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I, too, used to think "healthy" equals nasty, boring, and tasteless. I started learning (yep, old dogs Can learn new tricks) that all those veggies, lean meats, fruits and whole grains are delicious! And it has been actually FUN - I was astounded - to find new and improved ways to make meals delicious and interesting. It can be done. My husband and I both quite often ate all 3 meals in a work day going through fast food joints .... Now, we go out maybe a couple times a month total and always to a nice sit down plan what you order kind of restaurant.
    Roasted veggies - perfection! Grilled chicken in all sorts of entree's - Delicious! Fruits for dessert - Yummy! Yes, we also eat burgers, pizza, stromboli, cakes and cookies - but very rarely and not the Whole pizza! Pinterest is my friend! We don't live on kale chips (even though I love them). No more pop in our house either.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So, I am guessing you dont' own any salt, pepper, garlic or crushed red pepper flakes? or butter.

Because those are my go to seasonings and I eat pretty well.

Healthy =/= boring and it doesn't mean straight laced either.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options

This kind of stuff baffles me because it assumes there are only two choices - only eat trashy junk food or only eat whole, natural foods. Why not just balance them both out?

@Sleeper1968 Obviously you can balance out and indulge, but the person I'm replying to has, in multiple threads, espoused "eat what you want" to hit your caloric intake. And if that's not what they mean, then they're doing a terrible job at expressing their thoughts.

My gripe with the whole "just eat whatever as long as you hit your calories" idea is that it can be extremely unhealthy. And when people are asking for healthy food options and some comes in saying "don't worry about all that eat what you like", I feel it sets people up for failure.

If you're on here and want to get healthier, changing your diet and making healthier food choices is 70% of the battle. Sure, you can hit 2,000 calories a day on pizza and McDonald cheese burgers, but, as I said, hitting your caloric numbers does not equate to "healthy".

Balancing and controlling indulgence is key, but so is the intake of nutrients and foods that are beneficial to you and the most efficient for your body. Watching sugar intake is a big one that people tend to glance over, in my experience.

It's fine if someone wants to indulge here and there, but the whole "eat what you want" thing is rubbish, as far as I'm concerned. You should enjoy what you eat, yes, but to be healthy, it's not a free for all.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What is the healthy stuff that looks and/or tastes bad to you?
    What does look/sound good to you?

I can't suggest anything when I don't know what you mean.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

why can't one have pizza, donuts, vegetables, chicken, rice, etc?

I always love how these things come down to a false choice between a diet of 100% donuts or a "healhty" one...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

This kind of stuff baffles me because it assumes there are only two choices - only eat trashy junk food or only eat whole, natural foods. Why not just balance them both out?

@Sleeper1968 Obviously you can balance out and indulge, but the person I'm replying to has, in multiple threads, espoused "eat what you want" to hit your caloric intake. And if that's not what they mean, then they're doing a terrible job at expressing their thoughts.

My gripe with the whole "just eat whatever as long as you hit your calories" idea is that it can be extremely unhealthy. And when people are asking for healthy food options and some comes in saying "don't worry about all that eat what you like", I feel it sets people up for failure.

If you're on here and want to get healthier, changing your diet and making healthier food choices is 70% of the battle. Sure, you can hit 2,000 calories a day on pizza and McDonald cheese burgers, but, as I said, hitting your caloric numbers does not equate to "healthy".

Balancing and controlling indulgence is key, but so is the intake of nutrients and foods that are beneficial to you and the most efficient for your body. Watching sugar intake is a big one that people tend to glance over, in my experience.

It's fine if someone wants to indulge here and there, but the whole "eat what you want" thing is rubbish, as far as I'm concerned. You should enjoy what you eat, yes, but to be healthy, it's not a free for all.

I am still waiting for this mythical person that is proposing a diet of 100% McDonalds burgers and fries to show themselves.

what most people mean by "eat what you like" is to eat within your calorie goal, hit micro and macro goals, and fill in remaining calories with foods that one enjoys.

• Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There's a book called the 'takeaway secret' where the author gives the recipe for creating takeaway dishes... The good thing is you get to control the quality and quantity of ingredients but still get the flavour! If you're not exactly loving heathy food - and it isn't for everyone - I'd make healthier versions of tasty stuff you like..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hmm. I've been mostly agreeing with you in this exchange. I think eating healthfully is important, and that healthy food can (and should) be delicious. People who say it's not either can't cook or have narrow-minded ideas about what it healthy. (I also love cabbage in many preparations and have no desire to be a pariah, heh.)

However, I never get why people assume that "eat whatever you want within your calories" would be unhealthy. Personally, I think that's the way to go, it's what I do, and what I want includes considering what foods make me feel good, help me meet my athletic and health goals, result in an overall nutritious diet, will be satiating, etc. Since I think that's just good sense, I don't see why anyone would think that someone else's "eat what you want within your calories" would ignore such things -- unless they say so, of course. To me, assuming that "eat what you want" means only "junk" food (or even mainly such or a non-nutritious diet) is kind of insulting, and it's not an assumption I would ever make about others.

So I think "eat what you want within your calories" is good advice, AND I also think (and say) that it makes good sense to have an overall balanced, satisfying, and nutritious diet, which also happens to be calorie-appropriate and delicious, of course.