Screwed my knees

Options
On 2nd day of insanity ... And my knees are totally f#cked!
I'm so pissed. Seeing a physiotherapist in a few hours, I'll most likely be told not to do it... Even the modifications are gonna be hard on my knees.
I was thinking Swimming and elliptical ?
Any tips???
Those with bad knees how do u stay / get fit?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yup, whenever there's a thread about Insanity, or more commonly, 30 Day Shred, I post a warning about knees. Sorry :(

I imagine your physio will tell you to take a break from everything for a while. I do nothing if my knees are above a 2 or a 3 on a 1-10 pain scale (10 being the worst.)

I walk, hike, garden, swim, and practice yoga. In the gym I can use the recumbent bike the most, followed by walking on the treadmill, some row machine if I'm careful, and the elliptical if I just do a few minutes at a time - I've gone back and forth between the elliptical and the bike.

I've incorporated these exercises into my yoga warmups:

ttwk1osbl4md.jpg
  • psamin88
    psamin88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yup, whenever there's a thread about Insanity, or more commonly, 30 Day Shred, I post a warning about knees. Sorry :(

I imagine your physio will tell you to take a break from everything for a while. I do nothing if my knees are above a 2 or a 3 on a 1-10 pain scale (10 being the worst.)

I walk, hike, garden, swim, and practice yoga. In the gym I can use the recumbent bike the most, followed by walking on the treadmill, some row machine if I'm careful, and the elliptical if I just do a few minutes at a time - I've gone back and forth between the elliptical and the bike.

I've incorporated these exercises into my yoga warmups:

ttwk1osbl4md.jpg

Thank you
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical alone, with core exercises/dumbbells. You don't even what to know what my knees sound like going up/down stairs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I've also started doing these in between sets when I'm lifting weights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoMA7I7HOQ&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&index=1
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Piyo might be worth trying when you're better. I too have a jacked knee and insanity made it hurt... A lot! I just have to be super careful and modify when I do insanity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's the one con about DVD workouts. Most people have no idea if they are squatting/jumping correctly and it only takes a few workouts to injure knees. DVD's can't check form and execution.
    Take the time to get an experienced professional to show you how to squat and jump correctly before attempting again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png