Can you?

Options
I read that a person in reasonable shape should be able to do each of the following:
- Bench press their body weight
- deadlift twice their body weight
- Hold a plank for 2 minutes

So, my question is, can you do all of these?

I don't know if I can or not, but I think it'll be a goal to do all three real soon!

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Yup. Hit 87.5kg/192.5lb on bench today. Finally over bodyweight!
    Haven't done it recently, but I've hit 2x bodyweight dead on the platform 4 times.
    Meh. I only do 30 second planks.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    My PR was 440lb deadlift, squat 365lb, and bench 270lb @ 180lb. Don't do planks, but I could get it for sure. You can do it! Just stay consistent.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have no idea for men, for women for sure these numbers are not realistic. Unless they refer to a moderately experienced lifter, not a person in decent shape in general.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If u can get #2 on that list, you're very likely to easily do the two. Either way I don't think those are very relevant standards
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The Bench and Deadlift are very doable for your strength trainee. Your average gym bro could probably hit the bench and plank as well (but they don't usually deadlift).

If you're a runner, then it would be harder to hit those numbers, but you can still blow the strength trainee away with your running time and pace. Everyone specializes in what they do in the gym every day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    "reasonable shape"?

Since when are we basing power lifting numbers as the minimum for a "reasonable shape"?

Can i hold a plank that long? Sure. Can i deadlift and squat atleast my body weight? Sure. But can i bench my body weight? No. Can i deadlift 2x my body weight? No. I don't think any of these things are relevant to my fitness level, physique, or otherwise.

These seem like arbitrary and otherwise irrelevant goals.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I can eat a 2lb burger though....
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Not sure how "reasonable" shape is dependent upon how strong someone is. As mentioned before, females would likely have a problem with number one as they have less upper body strength and I've seen some women do some massive deadlifts. It just all depends on what the person is training for. I could probably do all three (I don't deadlift super heavy because I'm too afraid of injuries) but that doesn't mean I'm in any better shape than someone else.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bench press their body weight
    No.
    deadlift twice their body weight
    No.
    Hold a plank for 2 minutes
    Maybe.
    I read that a person in reasonable shape should be able to do each of the following:
    Where in the heck did you read this?

I'm assuming these benchmarks are for the untrained schmoe off the street.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @HamsterManV2 I take exception to your comment. There are lots of us that train everything...you don't have to be all or nothing. I can do all three and still run at a decent pace (sub 7min/mi for 5k, around 7:30-7:45 for 10k+)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I can do the third one but not the other two. Although it would be cool to be able to bench press/deadlift higher weights, I'm never going to commit to the time/effort it would take for me to reach that standard.
    'Reasonable shape' is a pretty vague term.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    The first two? No.
    The third? Yes. I try to do 3 90 sec. - 2 min. planks every night.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    - Bench press their body weight[/i]
    - Bench has always been my best lift, only took 3 months to go from very out of shape to BW bench. Trying to get back to 1.5 x BW but a car driver using me as a speed bump delayed my progress.

- deadlift twice their body weight
    - No idea and not going to try. Probably not without bits of my knees and lower back flying across the gym and taking someone's eye out. :neutral:

- Hold a plank for 2 minutes
    - Easily. That's a strange choice for "reasonable shape targets", planks aren't much good apart from getting good at planks....

No fitness goals? That seems a little sad, don't be the guy who is in reasonable shape but is out of breath climbing stairs!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Bench, it would take some training to get there
    Dead lift, No way-my back hate them
    Plank, yes
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Seems ridiculous to base "reasonable shape" on a weight lifting thing. Sure it can be a good indicator of some sort of fitness, but it really depends on what you are doing/training.

I certainly can't bench press or dead lift that much. A 2-minute plank is laughably easy in comparison.

However, I am an endurance athlete. I have qualified for the Boston Marathon and have a sub-10hr Ironman to my credit. But I can't bench press for s***. Nor do I want to be able to. It would be wasted muscle on me (I don't want that extra weight).
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Probably...but then again, I don't care about a maximum lift...for me it is irrelevant. My goal is 3 sets of 8-12...once I hit 12 I move up weight.

I do use the hammer strength bench press (so yes, you can add additional weight) and do 3 sets of 10 at 200lbs. Not a fan of the deadlift, but again using the hammer strength apparatus, I did 350 for a set of 8...don't do it now.

Now weigh 212...on way to 190-195...from 250+
  • climberpilot
    climberpilot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Interesting replies. I think I can do the bench and deadlift, but I'm certain I couldn't do the plank.
  • aijagaile
    aijagaile Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't. Maybe planks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of stuff that makes newbies and the less-fit-but-working-hard-at-it doubt themselves.