Depressing post alert

Options
Hi y'all . I know this isn't the kind of website where you "bare all." But tonight I'm just feeling super down..as most do with depression. It can be really hard for me to keep on track with all of this sometimes when I'm at a low point..which seems more often than not. Tonight I'm just feeling down about my weight , as well as manyyyy other things going on in my life.
Am I alone?

Replies

• misstertea
    misstertea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's hard to manage weight/fitness when you're also dealing with depression. I was always told that diet and exercising is a possible and legitimate way of feeling good, decreasing depression. But the problem is having the energy to actually get started and caring about what you eat, and how you move.

You're allowed to have off days and go at your own pace. Some days I just don't track at all. Point being, a lot of people are struggling with this, and it's admirable that you're handling both.
  • kellyr93
    kellyr93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying. Your kind words mean a lot
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Have you counseled? If not, then look into it. Many times professional help will discuss strategies on how to over come depression.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kellyr93
    Options
    I have not. The idea of opening up and actually saying my feelings out loud to a stranger gives me great anxiety. But maybe one day I will try..
  • jmj24302
    jmj24302 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're not alone. Sounds like we're in the same boat...I've been feeling the same way for the last couple of days! Becoming healthy and fit is a journey, you literally have to take 1 day at a time. Are you working out? It actually increases your mood.
  • kellyr93
    Options
    I have been! I work out tons and I love it. But my mood seems to go down again once I'm done working out. Or maybe tonight is just an extra bad night :/
    Glad to know I'm not alone though
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    kellyr93 wrote: »
    I have been! I work out tons and I love it. But my mood seems to go down again once I'm done working out. Or maybe tonight is just an extra bad night :/
    Glad to know I'm not alone though
    Working out for many releases dopamine (happy hormone), so it's not uncommon to feel great after for awhile. Try adding things that are non exercise that you like to do. Reading, art, a hobby, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SarahsFitMess
    SarahsFitMess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have not. The idea of opening up and actually saying my feelings out loud to a stranger gives me great anxiety. But maybe one day I will try..

I find it far easier to talk to a stranger than someone I know. They listen to you without being bias. I know it sounds weird but a compassionate counselor helps a lot and you don't feel like you're being judged
  • step0055
    step0055 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It always helps me to read (and re-read) Jenny Lawson's books when depression takes hold and I feel alone. She also has a fantastic blog that's got a wonderful community. @thebloggess is her social media handle if you want to follow her. Her books are called "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" and "Furiously Happy" and her blog is thebloggess.com.

Sending you positive thoughts, just keep in mind that depression lies. It really does, you are a fantastic and worthwhile person, and depression is a lying liar.
  • kellyr93
    Options
    Ohmygosh thank you so much! I never knew about her but I'm so happy you told me about her !
    You're awesome <3
  • davidmartinez66
    davidmartinez66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kelly,

The feeling of being overweight is tough, adding depression adds another layer to it, please consider counseling, I am private with my feelings and did counseling when going through a divorce and a few other things at the same time and I felt overwhelmed with life. Consider the counseling part of this journey, you will become more aware of "you" and find out that YOU are the most important person in your own life.

All the best!
    David
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @kellyr93 I am sorry to hear you are having a down night, as someone who suffers with depression and has for about 20 years now I know it is not easy. I also know that trying to talk to someone about it is a lot harder than people realize. But what I am finding out is on sites like this, that are filled with strangers people open up easier to the anonymous faces on here. I started to write a blog on here that details my battle with depression, Binge Eating, and some other things and I found that it helped me to be more open and talk more about how I was feeling, and my mental health issues. Granted I started them after I went to seek help a few months ago, but writing them down had helped me understand triggers, and patterns that I can use to talk to me Dr. about, as i have it all written down and can either read it off or have her read it. It is kind of like a crutch to start the conversation and to make it less stressful. I hope you are feeling better today, and if you ever need to talk to someone feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Counselling can help you get a better perspective on the things that are bothering you, so you can deal with them more effectively. Also, it would be good to discuss it with your dr to rule out any physical reasons for how you feel (even if you have many real life stressors). For me, they found I was extremely deficient in vitamins d3 and b12, and they also discovered I had severe hypoglycemia (had a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), which for me, when my blood sugar drops, affects my view of life quite a bit (it's distorted). Getting enough sleep is also a big factor. Exercise also helps a great deal as others have already mentioned. I know now what to do to help address the physical aspects and have learned (and am learning) ways to cope with my own stress (that was pulling me down). I hope you find what helps you and that you are feeling much better soon. Take care
  • kellyr93
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you for your kind words ! It's amazing that complete strangers can take the time out of their day to reply to a post and make someone else fee better. I will definitely consider counseling, although the idea still freaks the hell out of me.
    Thank you all so much, really. It helps more than you think!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all . I know this isn't the kind of website where you "bare all." But tonight I'm just feeling super down..as most do with depression. It can be really hard for me to keep on track with all of this sometimes when I'm at a low point..which seems more often than not. Tonight I'm just feeling down about my weight , as well as manyyyy other things going on in my life.
    Am I alone?

Actually this is probably one of the best places to air your depression related thoughts, it's generally a pretty easygoing and understanding crowd here. I completely understand the struggle, I have these random down spells as well. There's no simple answer unfortunately, but from where I was at the end of 2011 to where I am now, things are better. Not great, but better.

Now I know they say you shouldn't comfort eat, but maybe plan your diet in a way that allows you to have a specific type of meal you really love more than anything else once a week at a time you're going to be feeling low. Just to have something to look forward to to balance out the depression a bit. Or whatever else you do that gets your mood up, if it's more exercise, do more exercise and enjoy the extra calories you get. Just find something.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You feel better when you work out because all you do is think about is the work out and your body is creating endorphins. I keep telling people that my walks are not exercise, but more decompression. I turn up the tunes and collect myself. So I guess I would recommend multiple short walks thru out the day.
  • latincoffee
    latincoffee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Am I alone?

Hi @kellyr93 How are you? I hope that you're feeling better. You can write down your thoughts and talking to other people will help. Go out for a walk, breathe, write down your thoughts, listen to music, dance, sneak in a workout with some good music...those things will help!! It has helped me so much...also I'm not religious but so believe in God and I pray alot...venting to the Lord has helped me much!

Add me if you like!

Hope you are well!

-Angel David