News Feed Garbage

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off garbage posts from other people in my news feed? Things like "completed his/her food and exercise diary" and "is now friends with ..." Either through a MyFitnessPal setting, or through an add-on or script for my browser (I'm using FireFox). I am aware that I can turn off my own status posts, but I have so many friends that do not turn these status posts off, and it makes it tedious to go through my feed to see real (actually typed) status updates. I have been accumulating a lot of friends, and I love giving them all support and comments, but it takes a lot of my time going through all the garbage!
    @vixtris

How to hide convo in your news feed: You can hide one friend or all of them.

Here's how to 'clean up your news feed'... next time you see 'garbage posts' from your 'friends' as you call them..

In your news feed in the upper right corner next to the persons comment click the X to hide their convos, they will then disappear from view. It can be a way to control a busy news feed..... and might work for you going by what your post contains. If you ever want to hear from them again you can open up your friend list and next to that persons name you click the x again and unhide them.

Sounds like you have a ton of friends I honestly can't imagine how crazy that news feed must be when ppl get to talking. For that reason I've kept mine very small and love to see the progress of my friends and cheer them on as they do me.

Hope that's something that helps. :) The other choice would be cut your FL down to the few that really have helped you and that you feel close to. That would probably better solve the dilemma.

Regarding your first post...sometimes it takes a bit of time to come through to the news feed so you might not see it right away... that's likely what happened. :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    This is secretly a brag post about how many friends OP has.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I just wish I knew what topics my friends were posting on...AGAIN...like it used to be...
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Are you not being nice?
    Perhaps your posts are considered garbage?
  • synchkat
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Are you not being nice?
    Perhaps your posts are considered garbage?

IM ALWAYS NICE

That's what I figured so you're just posting garbage?
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    i wish we could link our accounts to our favorite music player like Pandora or iTunes or Google Music so people could see just who exactly listens to Nickelback and who doesn't.

THIS would solve all the worlds problems!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Congrats on your collection of 441 people who use this site for its intended purpose. I suspect you'll have a smaller collection by the end of the day.

:laugh:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Why not just post on your feed that you are sick of seeing people's "garbage posts" and ask them to turn off their notifications so that it bothers you less? I'm sure that would clear up a lot of your clutter.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    OP doesn't want to see automatic updates of active MFP users, so he's going to delete the inactive people.
    Un5F2vt.gif
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ^
    That gif just makes the whole thread worth looking at.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    pandora721 wrote: »
    ^

That gif and your profile picture! <3
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ^

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10345459/stop-please-just-stop
  • synchkat
    Options
    ^

gross

and @tincanonastring nice one
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    OP doesn't want to see automatic updates of active MFP users, so he's going to delete the inactive people.
    Un5F2vt.gif

inactive meaning the ones who just complete diaries and record their weights, not actually post statuses.
  • synchkat
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Un5F2vt.gif

inactive meaning the ones who just complete diaries and record their weights, not actually post statuses.

But isn't logging activity Active? They are actively using this site?