Is walking on a incline building muscle?

Options
Hi, I'm new to the gym and I spend most of my time in the cardio room. I spend 5 minutes warming up (resistance 5) on the bike then 25 minutes (resistance 8) on the elliptical trainer before walking on 15% incline (the highest) for 20 minutes. I know I'm doing something wrong because I want to tone not bulk and I'm gaining leg muscle! Can someone please help me!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring this gain in muscle?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you sure what you're gaining in bulk is actually muscle?
    Could it be the case that what you are gaining is actually fat because you're still overeating and not actually creating a deficit yet?
    I'm assuming the profile pic is for 'inspiration' unless you were a model at the Victoria's Secrets fashion show (which is where the image is from)?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The incline will firm up your buttocks, not your thighs, and probably not a measurable amount.

A new workouts could lead to water retention in your leg muscles, which you might be confusing with bulking.

Also, this sounds like something you did once. One trip to the gym is not going to have a noticeable effect. Try doing some more research on body composition. You will probably find that strength exercises will give you exactly the results you want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I'm wondering this too.

I thought my biceps were bigger, but when I measured them and compared them to an earlier measurement, they were actually smaller - they just seem bigger because they are more defined as there is less fat over them now.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm wondering this too.

I thought my biceps were bigger, but when I measured them and compared them to an earlier measurement, they were actually smaller - they just seem bigger because they are more defined as there is less fat over them now.

This seems likely if you have been at it for awhile. Measure and see.

And I have to say maybe. A big skeptical maybe, but maybe.

I feel like there is a section on the outside of my quads that has increased with resistance type cardio and Navy tape method says I've added muscle, but at the same time I've remained in a deficit and steadily been losing weight...so not sure what I believe.

I've been doing rowing, spinning, and precor something like 4+ hours a week all in.
  • charisspeightt
    charisspeightt Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Could it be the case that what you are gaining is actually fat because you're still overeating and not actually creating a deficit yet?
    I'm assuming the profile pic is for 'inspiration' unless you were a model at the Victoria's Secrets fashion show (which is where the image is from)?

I have lost 7 pounds in the last month, I'm not too sure what a profile picture has to do with the exercise routine, could you please elaborate?
  • charisspeightt
    Options
    The incline will firm up your buttocks, not your thighs, and probably not a measurable amount.

A new workouts could lead to water retention in your leg muscles, which you might be confusing with bulking.

Also, this sounds like something you did once. One trip to the gym is not going to have a noticeable effect. Try doing some more research on body composition. You will probably find that strength exercises will give you exactly the results you want.

Thank you for replying! I have been following this routine for the last six weeks or so. Would you recommend asking the gym for a workout plan? Is this worth the money?

It is likely that the thighs are becoming more defined. For a you g women wanting to lose weight quick, what is the best form of exercise?

Thank you again.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you lost 7 lbs, your thighs probably did not get bigger. Start measuring. The question about the profile pic is because, if it was you, and you are already that slim, we might wonder if your question has more to do with body image or dismorphia than actual muscle building or bulking. You can't actually bulk while losing weight anyway, you would need to be in a calorie surplus. Exercising/resistance training while in a deficit helps retain the muscle you already have while losing a higher percentage of fat than you would without the training.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

I have lost 7 pounds in the last month, I was only asking a question about exercise routine. I'm not too sure what a profile picture has to do with that.

Well that's quite simple really. When people upload a picture of themselves that shows their physique clearly, it makes it easier for people to respond regarding a question about physique. Since the previous picture (since changed) showed the area of the body you were referring to, I simply tried to qualify with you that that wasn't you. Geez...
  • charisspeightt
    Options
    If you lost 7 lbs, your thighs probably did not get bigger. Start measuring. The question about the profile pic is because, if it was you, and you are already that slim, we might wonder if your question has more to do with body image or dismorphia than actual muscle building or bulking. You can't actually bulk while losing weight anyway, you would need to be in a calorie surplus. Exercising/resistance training while in a deficit helps retain the muscle you already have while losing a higher percentage of fat than you would without the training.

Oh thank you so much, how would I start to measure? Am I right in assuming that as long as i am eating less than I burn I will not gain muscle, irregardless of my exercise routine?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the gym and I spend most of my time in the cardio room. I spend 5 minutes warming up (resistance 5) on the bike then 25 minutes (resistance 8) on the elliptical trainer before walking on 15% incline (the highest) for 20 minutes. I know I'm doing something wrong because I want to tone not bulk and I'm gaining leg muscle! Can someone please help me!!
    I have lost 7 pounds in the last month, I'm not too sure what a profile picture has to do with the exercise routine, could you please elaborate?

Those 2 things contradict each other. Either you're losing or gaining, but not both, and certainly not in such a short period of time.

As was mentioned earlier... how are you measuring the additional leg muscle? Are you taking regular measurements (arms, waist, thighs, etc)? What about progress pictures?

But to your question, no... walking on the treadmill will not build muscle. You might get a little extra fluid retention temporarily in your legs if you are not accustom to the effort of walking at that grade, but you won't be building new muscle tissue.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Oh thank you so much, how would I start to measure? Am I right in assuming that as long as i am eating less than I burn I will not gain muscle, irregardless of my exercise routine?

Correct. The deficit will trump the routine in terms of muscle gains.

Just use a basic tape measure and measure the circumference at certain body points. Record the numbers and watch for trends/progress over time.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Agree with @jacksonpt . You won't build muscle on the treadmill, even at a steep incline. At best you would prevent significant muscle loss if you were eating at a deficit simultaneously. In order to gain muscle you need to progressively overload the muscle, primarily through weight training. The benefits derived from cardio exercise are, well... cardio vascular health and additional cardio burn.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is not actually a thing. Well, that's a lie. "Toning" is a made up term for women who seem to be under the impression that lifting weights will make you look like the Hulk. It won't. Not even if you lift really heavy stuff. In the same area as the guys who look like they would most certainly win in a fight against the Hulk.

Bodybuilders get that physique from a strict diet regimen consisting of periods of eating at a surplus (bulk) and eating at a deficit (cut), supplements and a specialized fitness program. This fitness program usually consists of long sessions in the gym lifting heavy weights and short sessions of high intensity interval training (HIIT).

Men get bigger easier (but not to say easy, because it's hard work) than women because of their testosterone levels.

The important take away from this is that you will not accidentally bulk up.

However, if you exercise, you will become stronger in the beginning. This is because you are using muscles that aren't used to being used and they need to adapt. Your muscles will also see an increase in endurance. If you make no changes to your workout, after a few weeks they've adapted and won't keep getting stronger.

So it is likely that you've become stronger in the muscles you've been working while walking on an incline. It's not likely that you're slowly turning into the Hulk. Your body will change with a new diet and exercise program. Like others have already said, take measurements, weight yourself, keep track of how fast/long you're able to keep up your workouts. Whatever it is you feel keeps track of how you and your body are doing.
  • charisspeightt
    Options
    "Toning" is not actually a thing. Well, that's a lie. "Toning" is a made up term for women who seem to be under the impression that lifting weights will make you look like the Hulk. It won't. Not even if you lift really heavy stuff. In the same area as the guys who look like they would most certainly win in a fight against the Hulk.

Bodybuilders get that physique from a strict diet regimen consisting of periods of eating at a surplus (bulk) and eating at a deficit (cut), supplements and a specialized fitness program. This fitness program usually consists of long sessions in the gym lifting heavy weights and short sessions of high intensity interval training (HIIT).

Men get bigger easier (but not to say easy, because it's hard work) than women because of their testosterone levels.

However, if you exercise, you will become stronger in the beginning. This is because you are using muscles that aren't used to being used and they need to adapt. Your muscles will also see an increase in endurance. If you make no changes to your workout, after a few weeks they've adapted and won't keep getting stronger.

So it is likely that you've become stronger in the muscles you've been working while walking on an incline. It's not likely that you're slowly turning into the Hulk. Your body will change with a new diet and exercise program. Like others have already said, take measurements, weight yourself, keep track of how fast/long you're able to keep up your workouts. Whatever it is you feel keeps track of how you and your body are doing.

Thank you! This really helped. I'll take all this new information aboard. Thanks again guys!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I don't fully agree with some of the postings about not being able to gain muscle doing cardio. Building muscle is all about the level of resistance, intensity and eating. If you already have a surplus of calories, you can build muscle while losing weight (especially newbie gains), harder to do with a lower body fat percentage. If you're doing an incline on the treadmill, you can see gains likely in your calves and quads dependent upon resistance but is less likely than doing elliptical at a higher resistance setting. I've seen gains in my calves and quads from doing intervals on elliptical at a resistance setting as high as 14. Everyone's body reacts differently to stimulation.

Simple answer is, it's possible but unlikely, but again depends on how much resistance you're using and how much extra body fat you have to burn.
  • charisspeightt
    Options
    @wilsoncl6 these are the two areas where I feel are gaining muscle! Will turning down the incline help?

Also, should I take away from this that the diet is the most likely to cause muscle gain?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nobody is bulking up going for a walk...even with an incline. If that were possible, pretty much every guy on the planet would look like Arnold.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

It's possible but pretty unlikely unless you are obese (or are new to training coupled with a calorie surplus and even then it will be a stretch.)

I think a much more likely explanation is temporary inflammation / fluid retention in your legs caused by your new training regime. This will go away soon enough though.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

it most certainly is a thing... it's a concept much like leaning out is a concept. While it's true that you can't tone up a muscle, you can most certainly tone up your body or your legs or similar.

This whole "there's no such thing as toning" nonsense that has taken foothold in MFP, while well intentioned, is a lot of *kitten*. If we can act like grown ups and try to be helpful rather than being a know-it-all, then we can certainly talk about progress and goals in terms of toning.