Intermittent Fasting

Options
I recently read an article about intermittent fasting- feeding in an 8 hour span, fasting for 16. I've heard it can boost energy, help increase lean muscle mass, and promote fat loss. I was curious if anyone here has ever tried this and how it worked out. What were your results and how did you feel?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I do a version of IF. It's generally 18:6 and occasionally I'll do a 24hr fast. I technically break fast in the AM when I have coffee with milk, but it doesn't effect my energy or hunger levels. I usually eat 1meal around 1pm and then my second meal between 5-6PM. I don't really snack, and I'm generally not hungry between meals. As of right now, I haven't eaten since 1PM yesterday and I'm not hungry

I don't think it necessarily promotes fat loss, I still consume the same number of calories every day, it's just condensed into a shorter feed window. This is a more natural way of eating for me, I've never been a big breakfast eater, I'm just not ever hungry in the morning. Now I just really try to pay attention to my hunger cues.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here is an easier version. Try it first?
    Quit eating after dinner.
    That gives you a 12 hour fast.
    From 6pm to 6am.
    I'll sneak in a small chocolate if I am way under in calories (but that's really it).
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'd say that none of those benefits are true. At least not for me and it doesn't make much sense that meal timing would make those sorts of differences.

I eat from 12-8 each day, it's just how I rescue my overall calories.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I did alternate day IF (JUDDD) for my weight loss phase, 5:2IF as I transitioned into maintenance and then the last three years I've been doing 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan. 16:8IF by itself doesn't mean anything in terms of weight loss, and I've actually gained a few pounds over the winter months while doing it, but not being mindful of portion sizes/tracking calories. I've thought about giving up IF all together (kind of burned out on it), but there is some promising research about long term health/longevity of life etc. So for now I'm going to keep doing IF, but in itself it's not a weight loss/maintenance program.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not do anything for weight loss necessarily. Think of it as a tool for weight loss.