How many kcal in a slice of new York pizza?

Options
So I'm planning to grab a slice of pizza tonight at a little local joint that doesn't have nutritional information available. Looking through available options on mfp there seems to be a couple kcal difference entry to entry. In your experience how many kcal are in those giant yummy slices of new york style pizza (pepperoni)?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Anywhere between 150-1500, maybe more. There are too many variables for anyone here to answer for you. Just eat the pizza, log your best guess and move on.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wegmans has giant slices of pizzeria-style pizza. A slice of their pepperoni is 470 kcal. I would log that, myself.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I typically assume 500 per slice of plain, pep, say 600.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What size? I usually compare to Papa John or Domino's nutrition and log that.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Bigger than that, a large and flat, traditional New York style
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    who cares?? it's delicious.

for the record, i log a plain slice of pizza at 230 cals.
  • Francl27
    Options

A large plain pizza is usually around 300 calories... Just FYI.

Bigger than that, a large and flat, traditional New York style

Ok I'd use Sbarro or something then... they have big slices.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Funny, I looked this up in the airport just this week...best article I found on the subject:

citygirlbites.com/blog/archives/8663
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    From what I have found, the standard is:
    cheese pizza: 410 calories, 14 grams of fat, eight grams saturated fat, and 790 milligrams of cholesterol.
    pepperoni slice: 480 calories, 20 grams of fat, nine grams saturated fat, and 980 milligrams of sodium.

For true NY pizza (like Di Fara's), I add 150 calories and 7.5 grams of fat to the top.
  • Francl27
    Options
    From what I have found, the standard is:
    cheese pizza: 410 calories, 14 grams of fat, eight grams saturated fat, and 790 milligrams of cholesterol.
    pepperoni slice: 480 calories, 20 grams of fat, nine grams saturated fat, and 980 milligrams of sodium.

For true NY pizza (like Di Fara's), I add 150 calories and 7.5 grams of fat to the top.

Ok that's because they cut their pizza ins 6 portions... Papa John is 8.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that the Costco Food Court pepperoni slice of pizza has less calories than the cheese only slice of pizza... same size (roughly because obviously not every pizza slice is exactly the same size)... I guess they put more cheese on it in order to make up for the lack of toppings... So "no toppings" is not always the calorie saver you think it is...
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I generally assume 500 calories per slice of large pizza. They can be more, and they can be less. If it's a slice of medium cheese, probably 300. If it's a dense, heavy piece of large meat lovers' with extra cheese, that might be closer to 700. Seriously. 500 is a good average if you don't know.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that the Costco Food Court pepperoni slice of pizza has less calories than the cheese only slice of pizza... same size (roughly because obviously not every pizza slice is exactly the same size)... I guess they put more cheese on it in order to make up for the lack of toppings... So "no toppings" is not always the calorie saver you think it is...

This is true for Domino's as well. If you use their nutrition builder you can see it. Also, multiple toppings results in less of one topping.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd say each slice is probably more than 500 calories if it's as big as you're suggesting. It's impossible to give an accurate (or even close to accurate) estimate since you're not really specifying how many inches it is, but there's also other factors to consider. Size is a huge one, but what about the crust? Is it thin crust or a thicker one? Deep dish? And how much cheese is on it? Cheese and crust alone can add quite a bit of calories, unfortunately! If it's not too late I'd try to take it easy and enjoy the pizza without stressing yourself out too much over how many calories it is, but try to enjoy one slice and don't feel the need to consume 2+ out of habit. Maybe grab a side salad or some fruit to help fill you up? Some water, too, you've probably been on your feet quite a bit!
    Also, if you DO have more than one slice, try to avoid the scale the next day so the water weight doesn't freak you out! ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I usually log 450-500 for a crazy piece. 350-400 for a big cheese slice. Maybe I'm cheating myself a bit but whatever. I live in NYC and still don't eat it very often so just save 800-900 calories for a couple slices and call it a day.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    honestly i record a real ny style big piece of cheese at 500-750.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A lot of variation based on the thickness of the crust too!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I'd say each slice is probably more than 500 calories if it's as big as you're suggesting. It's impossible to give an accurate (or even close to accurate) estimate since you're not really specifying how many inches it is, but there's also other factors to consider. Size is a huge one, but what about the crust? Is it thin crust or a thicker one? Deep dish? And how much cheese is on it? Cheese and crust alone can add quite a bit of calories, unfortunately! If it's not too late I'd try to take it easy and enjoy the pizza without stressing yourself out too much over how many calories it is, but try to enjoy one slice and don't feel the need to consume 2+ out of habit. Maybe grab a side salad or some fruit to help fill you up? Some water, too, you've probably been on your feet quite a bit!
    Also, if you DO have more than one slice, try to avoid the scale the next day so the water weight doesn't freak you out! ;)

New York style is always very thin and floppy, so little crust and little toppings on it, too. So while it's quite large in surface area, in volume the pieces are probably fairly average, or even a little on the smaller side. Probably around 400 calories per slice plus whatever toppings you get.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Too many, but who cares, everybody has space for 2 slices in their day #bomb
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

A large plain pizza is usually around 300 calories... Just FYI.

don't you tell me how to pizza