Insulin and weight loss

Options
I have type II diabetes. I have been on a low carb diet for 4 weeks now and have only lost 8 lbs. My blood sugars are in normal range since I've started this diet. If I stop taking my insulin, will my weight loss speed up any?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    lelaland wrote: »
    I have type II diabetes. I have been on a low carb diet for 4 weeks now and have only lost 8 lbs. My blood sugars are in normal range since I've started this diet. If I stop taking my insulin, will my weight loss speed up any?

8 lbs in 4 weeks is amazing! That is 2lb per week which is a safe/healthy rate to lose weight. Do not stop taking your insulin without speaking to your doctor. The results could actually be lethal. What you need to do is set realistic goals and be patient.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/week is pretty much the max you should be trying to lose a week. If anything go a little slower, not faster.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stop your insulin without consulting your doctor. You are losing pretty fast actually, and, I know at least for my mother, who also has type 2, taking her insulin regularly actually helped her lose weight. I would consult your doctor.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Diabulimia is a real thing and if you are having thoughts to try it, you should really speak to your doctor.
    Is there something about the diet you find difficult to stick with, or are you just in such a rush to lose weight that 2 pounds per week isn't good enough?
  • lelaland
    lelaland Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I've made such a drastic change in what I eat and how much I eat that my weight loss should be drastic too. I wonder if the insulin is hindering progress.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You have lost 2 pounds a week. Any more than that would be reckless unless you are under the care of a physician and are morbidly obese. I don't think its the insulin.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Although you are type 2 and stopping your insulin isnt normally life threatening I'd still chat with your doc....maybe a pill or even stopping is right but you were put on it for a reason so make sure you won't do permanent harm.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Many would counter that 2 pounds per week for 4 weeks straight IS drastic. Maybe not The Biggest Loser kind of drastic... but about as drastic as it can be without causing concern for your health. You don't really want an overnight quick fix... those pounds come back just as quickly.
    Insulin is a hormone and can have an effect on your metabolism, but not taking it will only make you feel worse, cause long-term damage to your body, and... it won't fix the problem. As you lose weight, while taking insulin, your body's ability to produce it's own insulin (and use it effectively) should get better so that you can lower your injection doses.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I've made such a drastic change in what I eat and how much I eat that my weight loss should be drastic too. I wonder if the insulin is hindering progress.

8 pounds in a month that is drastic, Like everyone has said do not stop taking the insulin without talking to your doctor!!!
  • cathipa
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @pootle1972 : a diabetic stopping their insulin can be life threatening (ever heard of diabetic ketoacidosis). Unless you are a physician I wouldn't give medical advice.
  • pootle1972
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    @pootle1972 : a diabetic stopping their insulin can be life threatening (ever heard of diabetic ketoacidosis). Unless you are a physician I wouldn't give medical advice.

Pray tell me where I said for the op to come off her medication......

• cathipa
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "type 1". You are? If so then you should know discontinuing your diabetic medication can be life threatening and can cause end organ damage due to hyperglycemia.
  • pootle1972
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Type 1 is insulin dependant and will not produce any insulin and are at grave risk of dka....the op is type 2 (and again tell me where I said they should come off meds)...

This from the diabetes.uk site.

Patients with type 2 diabetics, were not considered to be at risk for DKA. Type 2 diabetes is strongly associated with obesityand a family history of diabetes. These patients have peripheral insulin resistance with initially normal or elevated circulating levels of endogenous insulin.

And yet again show me where I said to come off medication .....
  • cathipa
    Options
    "Although you are type 2 and stopping your insulin isnt normally life threatening I'd still chat with your doc....maybe a pill or even stopping is right but you were put on it for a reason so make sure you won't do permanent harm. "
    '
    Your words
  • pootle1972
    Options
    And highlight the rest of it where I said as a type 2 and to check with a doctor. ....
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    When you start a low carb diet you can have dramatic initial weight loss.
    Normal. You may start slowing down.
  • pootle1972
    Options
    I'd still chat with your doc

But you were put on it for a reason so make sure you won't do permanent harm. "....

Also my words
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    While rare, type 2 diabetics can also go into DKA, but again, it's rare.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Risk for heart attack, stroke, macular degeneration, microvascular disease, neuropathy, high risk of infections...while not DKA all are life threatening and can lead to permanent damage and or death.
  • pootle1972
    Options
    I'd still chat with your doc

Again my words. ........stop trying to say I told them to come off the medication.