Can I count my Diet Coke that I drank as one of the glasses of water

Options
We were out and about today and then went to the movies with the kids, didn't have popcorn since it's sweet popcorn ( which means I would just put on a lot of calories of non food) and didn't feel like water I wanted something different. So I got a Diet Coke? Now can I count it as part of my water consumption but still log it in the food section for sake of sodium and stuff

Replies

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Water consumption is more in the lines of 'liquid' consumption...so soda or tea or coffee count as well.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    No don't log it as water -- as it's not. Put it as a regular food and get the correct amount of nutritional value. Nothing wrong with giving yourself a treat, but certainly make sure you log it correctly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    No don't log it as water -- as it's not. Put it as a regular food and get the correct amount of nutritional value. Nothing wrong with giving yourself a treat, but certainly make sure you log it correctly.

Diet Coke has water as a main ingredient and it helps meet hydration needs -- which is the point of tracking water. It has virtually no nutritional value (other than a bit of sodium). There's no point in logging it -- it isn't going to contribute to the daily calories or macro/micronutrient goals.

Not saying people can't log it if they want to, but there's no impact to weight loss if it isn't logged "correctly." It's a zero calorie item.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options

I think you misunderstood...she said she will put it in diary, but was asking about that water cups you add at the bottom that is used for counting how much are you drinking - a lot of people don't use this option at all. Especially if they drink plenty. It's mostly for some people like me that forget to drink all day to remind us :D
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

I think you misunderstood...she said she will put it in diary, but was asking about that water cups you add at the bottom that is used for counting how much are you drinking - a lot of people don't use this option at all. Especially if they drink plenty. It's mostly for some people like me that forget to drink all day to remind us :D

Ahh okay. Yeah i don't use that.. But diet coke has calories, no? I don't know, i log everything. You think "well this wont effect it too much..." and you do that a hand full of times throughout the day, or even week, and it all adds up.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you, as long as you are consistent. Personally, I don't track water at all. I do (usually) track diet soda since I'm trying to keep track of sodium and at one time was trying to track caffeinated sodas to try to cut back. There was a time when I did not track diet soda and drank a whole lot of it.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Ahh okay. Yeah i don't use that.. But diet coke has calories, no? I don't know, i log everything. You think "well this wont effect it too much..." and you do that a hand full of times throughout the day, or even week, and it all adds up.

It does not.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I don't log sodas, but I log my coffee as a glass of water and even my protein powder that I mix in a huge glass of water. I put all that down in the "water bucket" so to speak. I don't log my beer in there, but I wouldn't have a problem with logging sodas down in the water tracker. It is mostly water after all (about 12 ounces of it, even!). I guess I just figure if it has a barcode for scanning on it, it isn't something I track in the water tracker. If I make it with water, I do.

Personal preference. Your mileage may vary. See official rules for eligibility. Void in Puerto Rico and Nebraska.
  • SweetNina81
    SweetNina81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'll definately put it in the diary to be in the safe side and will try to drink water like there's no tomorrow ;)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'll definately put it in the diary to be in the safe side and will try to drink water like there's no tomorrow ;)

I'm not sure why you would need to drink extra water (unless you're thirsty). Drinking some diet soda doesn't require one to consume more water.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to log water/fluid then including zero (or virtually zero) calorie drinks is fine.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Water consumption is needed during weight loss and the water tracking is for water only. Soda of any kind is not nutritional at all.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Water consumption is needed during weight loss and the water tracking is for water only. Soda of any kind is not nutritional at all.

This confuses me a little bit - water is nutritional because it is water. Diet Coke is 99% water. You are consuming water when you consume soda.
  • karenoneill94
    karenoneill94 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has no calories but it does have sodium. I would put it in as a regular food in case I need to look at my sodium intake more carefully (you would be surprised by what you find when you run reports on nutrition, especially when your weight gets "stuck.") That being said, a drink with sodium isn't exactly water, even if it contain a lot; it also contains a lot of bad stuff not tracked here, like phosphorus and artificial sweetener. Diet soda is "junk food" and you should be drinking water to help flush your body of the icky chemicals.
  • perkymommy
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

This confuses me a little bit - water is nutritional because it is water. Diet Coke is 99% water. You are consuming water when you consume soda.

Soda isn't the same as water. I do weight watchers and track water there. Water is water.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Water has no nutritional value. It's good for you because it keeps you hydrated. Which foods and other drinks -- including diet soda -- can also do.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters to me any more, since I gave up soda, and the like. I didn't count diet soda's as water when i drank them. Same as I didn't count Crystal Light or those other chemical water "changers" as water. Water is water. Oh I do count real lemon\lime (fruit) squeezed into water as water.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Icky chemicals? Like the ones in high quality mineral water perhaps?
    Calcium, Sulfates, Magnesium, Potassium, Bicarbonates, Silica, Chlorides.

Plus oxygen and hydrogen of course, hydrogen is really dangerous!
  • perkymommy
    Options
    Diet coke has no calories but it does have sodium. I would put it in as a regular food in case I need to look at my sodium intake more carefully (you would be surprised by what you find when you run reports on nutrition, especially when your weight gets "stuck.") That being said, a drink with sodium isn't exactly water, even if it contain a lot; it also contains a lot of bad stuff not tracked here, like phosphorus and artificial sweetener. Diet soda is "junk food" and you should be drinking water to help flush your body of the icky chemicals.

This.

Soda also bloats most people out. I drink one eight ounce diet Pepsi each day and put it in my food diary along with my meals. It bloats me out something awful.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote:
    Icky chemicals? Like the ones in high quality mineral water perhaps?
    Calcium, Sulfates, Magnesium, Potassium, Bicarbonates, Silica, Chlorides.

Plus oxygen and hydrogen of course, hydrogen is really dangerous! "

You could blow up! Haven't you ever seen the Hindenberg?

:open_mouth: