Raw Eggs Yolks--who does it?

Options
Crisseyda
Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
A couple of weeks ago, I started making my own homemade "egg nog" drink. I have it almost every day. I have not gotten sick. It tastes so darn good! My husband cringes at it, but is it really that bad???

4 raw egg yolks + cream + whole milk + nutmeg
whisk together and drink!

I go very light on the milk because I'm on a ketogenic diet.

Does anyone else eat raw egg yolks on the daily?

Replies

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I make homemade eggnog as well, as long as you make sure they are pasteurized eggs they are safe to consume.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't do them daily but I do add them to smoothies for the extra protein/fat. We have chickens so I know how they are fed, cleaned, etc. Not sure I'd do it with store eggs but in general, I don't have issue with raw eggs. I would probably be careful though if I wasn't 100% sure of what the conditions were and where they came from.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    yeah, I hear you. I only use organic, pastured eggs. The idea of other eggs kind of grossed me out too much.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Pastured or pasteurized? World of difference there.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    If you had to guess, about how much cream and milk do you use (in cups, fl oz, or even mL)? I know this doesn't answer your question (I'm not sure if it's bad or not), but you seemed to get some answers and I really want to try it to be honest! I love egg nog!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I pop a raw egg into my smoothie every now and then. I Have eaten raw eggs for many, many years and have never had a problem.
  • Crisseyda
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Pastured or pasteurized? World of difference there.

yes, I know my poor husband brought home the wrong eggs one day, LOL. He felt horrible, but oh well! I buy pastured... not pasteurized. IMO, the former are safer due to living conditions... and even a pasteurized egg is only getting the surface, while some infections can be internal.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    If you had to guess, about how much cream and milk do you use (in cups, fl oz, or even mL)? I know this doesn't answer your question (I'm not sure if it's bad or not), but you seemed to get some answers and I really want to try it to be honest! I love egg nog!

4 pastured egg yolks
    1/4 cup grassfed cream
    1/4 cup whole milk
    fresh ground nutmeg to taste (way better flavor than the bottled stuff)

You can kinda fudge it to make the consistency you like. Most people will want some type of sweetener, so choose your poison, hehe. I do it without any because the milk is enough sweet for me, as I eat a real food ketogenic diet and am very sensitive now to sweetness.

I hope you enjoy!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I add 2 - 4 raw egg yolks to my morning coffee. I blend it up in my nutribullet. It sounds a little weird but it is rather tasty...
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

4 pastured egg yolks
    1/4 cup grassfed cream
    1/4 cup whole milk
    fresh ground nutmeg to taste (way better flavor than the bottled stuff)

You can kinda fudge it to make the consistency you like. Most people will want some type of sweetener, so choose your poison, hehe. I do it without any because the milk is enough sweet for me, as I eat a real food ketogenic diet and am very sensitive now to sweetness.

I hope you enjoy!

thanks!!!