Copper Compression

Options
Does it really work like they say? If it does do you think its more the copper or the compression part that helps injuries?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Compression works. Copper is a bunch of hokum.

From Consumer Reports:
    Copper-infused compression garments are selling like crazy. Ranging from tight-fitting knee and elbow sleeves, to shirts, leggings, gloves and socks, these products are marketed as a way to relieve pain and improve sports endurance. One of the biggest purveyors of copper-infused athletic apparel, Tommie Copper, grossed about $87 million in sales between April 2011 and October 2014, according to court documents.

The only hitch? There’s little to no reliable scientific evidence that the copper/compression combo does what manufacturers are claiming. Which is why Tommie Copper and its founder Thomas Kallish agreed to pay $1.35 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that they deceptively advertised their copper-infused garments that are priced between $29.50 and $69.50. The proposed federal court order imposes an $86.8 million judgment, which will be partially suspended upon payment of $1.35 million by the defendants.

The FTC charged the company with falsely claiming that its products would treat or relieve chronic or severe pain (including pain and inflammation caused by diseases such as multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and fibromyalgia) and provide pain relief comparable or superior to the effects of drugs or surgery.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

From Consumer Reports:
    Copper-infused compression garments are selling like crazy. Ranging from tight-fitting knee and elbow sleeves, to shirts, leggings, gloves and socks, these products are marketed as a way to relieve pain and improve sports endurance. One of the biggest purveyors of copper-infused athletic apparel, Tommie Copper, grossed about $87 million in sales between April 2011 and October 2014, according to court documents.

The only hitch? There’s little to no reliable scientific evidence that the copper/compression combo does what manufacturers are claiming. Which is why Tommie Copper and its founder Thomas Kallish agreed to pay $1.35 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that they deceptively advertised their copper-infused garments that are priced between $29.50 and $69.50. The proposed federal court order imposes an $86.8 million judgment, which will be partially suspended upon payment of $1.35 million by the defendants.

The FTC charged the company with falsely claiming that its products would treat or relieve chronic or severe pain (including pain and inflammation caused by diseases such as multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and fibromyalgia) and provide pain relief comparable or superior to the effects of drugs or surgery.

Thank you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

The jury is still out on compression garments except in relation to deep vein thrombosis and as a recovery aid. The studies seem to go back and forth as to whether or not there are any performance benefits.

Having said that, I use compression tights and/or compression socks in the latter stages of a training cycle as my runs get longer. It may be a placebo effect or just old age catching up with me but I feel less beat up after a 20km run when I wear them than when I don't.