low carb vs high carb for pear shaped women

Options
so, I'm a short (5'1) pear shape female and my weight has gone up and down for 11 years, can't seem to figure out what to do make it stick. I'm always told protein is key to lose weight and gain muscle, but I end up craving carbs like crazy and I have a sweet tooth like no one I know. I was doing some research and read that for pear shape women-because of the increased estrogen levels and low insulin, we should be eating around 45% carbs (complex carbs), 45% protein, and 10% healthy fat. I read that the reason we crave carbs is because we need it for insulin levels. whereas apple shape women tend to have high insulin levels and do better on lower carb/higher protein diets. has anyone heard of this theory and had any success?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it and very much doubt that women with different body shapes need different macro splits.

Eating at a calorie deficit caused me to lose fat resulting in a smaller, less exaggerated pear shape, and resistance training helped, over time, to build a bit of muscle which made me happier with my lower half.

I definitely eat more fat than that theory would suggest, and less protein. As far as having a sweet tooth goes, I still could happily eat a whole banoffee pie to myself, but I just have to accept I can't eat as much cake/pudding/chocolate as I would like and stay at the weight I prefer. Doesn't mean I don't stuff my face from time to time, but I had to find ways to rein it in in order to keep the weight off.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I use and am currently in ketosis. My net carbs intake is approx. 30 grams/day. In my humble experience net calories being less than calories burned is about the only thing that matters. I use very low-carb because ketosis kill the appetite pretty handily. I don't think it really matters what body shape anyone has. Good luck!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert in fruit-based physiques but I think that has more to do with where you genetically store fat, rather than insulin level or sensitivity.

Just do what everybody else is doing. Figure out your TDEE, get your calories in order, then worry about macros, then worry about your micronutrients. Exercise some. Get about 80% of your calories from nutrient dense foods. As far as those macros go, you don't need that high a percentage of carbs, but you should be eating more than 10% fat. Any fat will do (except trans fats, but those are easy to avoid).

I recommend you seek out a dietitian for this, but maybe something more like a 30C/30F/40P would be better than what you said.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think your fruit shape has anything to do with anything. Why not just start with something like the "zone" and work from there depending on how you feel, etc (40c/30p/30f)
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use and am currently in ketosis. My net carbs intake is approx. 30 grams/day. In my humble experience net calories being less than calories burned is about the only thing that matters. I use very low-carb because ketosis kill the appetite pretty handily. I don't think it really matters what body shape anyone has. Good luck!

One of the best effects of the keto diet that I've experienced. I can go pretty much all day without eating and not be hungry if I had to.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Low carbs, Paleo Diet/lifestyle....weight slides off, energy increased, no more hunger or feeling cheating...I love it!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i am "pear shaped" i carry 98% of my weight in my bum and thighs.. when im over weight i literally will still have a toned stomach but my butt and thighs are outta control.... did paleo and hated it.. did low carb and hated it... i eat about 200 grams of carbs a day and about 50 grams of fat. The way you eat doesnt have anything to do with your shape. That is all genetics, bome structure, muscle mass, and how your body distrubutes fat. Even when im at my lowest healtby weight im curvy and have a butt because I have wide hip bones thus "pear shape"
  • Cristin260
    Cristin260 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped as well, I've retired everything there is and I also have a sweet tooth and seem to craved then bindge on carbs after about two weeks in something. I'm going in three weeks of Keto and I'm in love. I tried in a pair of shorts today still need work but my bum and thighs fit into them. It's very low carb but high fat and moderate protein. I feel amazing and there are so many foods and snacks you can eat, like these things called fat bombs. They taste like I'm eating a chocolate butter cup.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Pear shape makes no difference.

For weight loss- all you need is a calorie deficit.

For any way of eating - it comes down to a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Let go of the dieting myths . it comes down to eating less then you burn for weight loss
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped as well. I eat a lot of protein, moderate fat, and let carbs fall where they may. It does not matter.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped-I never paid attention to macros while in the weight loss phase and I still don't during maintenance. I just focused on eating within my calorie parameters and lost 50+ pounds/went from size 14 jeans to current size 4s. Just keep things simple :)
  • Yogi_Flexi
    Yogi_Flexi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the shape of your body makes no difference. You end up craving carbs because you are going through what is known as sugar withdrawl. It only last for a few days normally. Eat a orange. It helps
  • AnneCoolbreze
    AnneCoolbreze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on low-carb or high-carb. Currently on 40P-40C-20F based on my TDEE with 20% reduction. Working to losing <10 lbs and reducing BF% from 24 to 20.
  • crazyholly
    crazyholly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry for the sideways picture, can't seem to get it turned around. :-(
    I'm in Ketosis and have been for about 3 weeks. Once I hit medium on the stick I no longer had cravings or hunger pains. I eat now to fuel my body. I try to eat about 20 grams of Protien, 86 grams of GOOD Fat and 20 or less of carbs. I was having problems getting my fat in and therefore was not losing, I then got turned on to MTC Oil that I now take 3 table spoons a day and everyday I have been losing. Next Friday I will do the big test and take my measurements.
    I work out 6 days a week, 40 min of cardio and 30 of weight machines. I'm 5'3, 196.6 ( as of today ) with a pear shape and hope to get to 160 by July 1st.

Wishing everyone success and please keep the post's coming.

Holly
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    crazyholly wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry for the sideways picture, can't seem to get it turned around. :-(
    I'm in Ketosis and have been for about 3 weeks. Once I hit medium on the stick I no longer had cravings or hunger pains. I eat now to fuel my body. I try to eat about 20 grams of Protien, 86 grams of GOOD Fat and 20 or less of carbs. I was having problems getting my fat in and therefore was not losing, I then got turned on to MTC Oil that I now take 3 table spoons a day and everyday I have been losing. Next Friday I will do the big test and take my measurements.
    I work out 6 days a week, 40 min of cardio and 30 of weight machines. I'm 5'3, 196.6 ( as of today ) with a pear shape and hope to get to 160 by July 1st.

Wishing everyone success and please keep the post's coming.

Holly

Calories from protein = 80
    Calories from fat = 774
    Calories from Carbs= 80
    Total calories= 934

I think my math is right.... Thats awfully low.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Pear shape makes no difference.

For weight loss- all you need is a calorie deficit.

For any way of eating - it comes down to a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Let go of the dieting myths . it comes down to eating less then you burn for weight loss
    That. All of that. That being said, if it's easier for you to get into your deficit by going lower carb, then fair game. It's about what works best for you with your calorie deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider increasing fat to 30 percent.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just find what works for you.

I'm a card carrying member of the pear shaped club, 5ft 5 and 119lbs.

I eat a very carb heavy diet and my split is usually 80% carbs, 10% fats, 10% protein, some days it's more carbs and less protein or fat.

I tried low carb once, it was hell for me and I cannot wrap my head around high fat intakes at all.

I need bread. I need potatoes. I need pasta. I need fruit.