Experiencing little to no hunger post-workout?

Options
I started a new workout DVD Monday, and I'm experiencing something strange. I've never been much of a morning eater, but here is what has been happening. I have been working out before work in the morning, and then barely feeling hungry by noon. Today I've had a couple hard boiled eggs and coffee. It is nearly 1 pm and that's it. I worked out again last night before dinner, because these DVDs are incredibly fun for me and my son wanted to try with me, and then ended up just having some yogurt and granola before bed instead of an actual dinner because I wasn't the least bit hungry. Usually I hear of people being pretty hungry after a good workout, but it is actually significantly decreasing my appetite. (According to HRM I'm burning around 400 calories per workout.)

Yesterday I only netted 957 calories. That's clearly not a good approach. Perhaps I'll adjust once I have done this for a longer period? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Currently I'm planning on some additional snacks in the afternoon to up my calories while I see if things level out over the next week or so.

I did lose a significant amount of weight using MFP a few years ago, which I have gained back and I am trying to lose it again, but I did not experience this.

Replies

• cguerra2013
    cguerra2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same problem since I've started working out too. I love the energy rush I get after each workout but I have little to no appetite. I just try to eat as much I can, it's good to eat protein post workout to help your muscles recover, so keep eating the hard boiled eggs!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It happens to some. Enjoy - it generally doesn't last.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I had that happen at one point, too... As he says above, enjoy it while it lasts, but be cautious because I found that undereating ended up making me feel more binge-y eventually. A big spoonful of peanut butter can go a long way at getting you to your calorie goal!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's a good change that's it's just a one-off. It won't hurt anything to OCCASIONALLY net calories that low. However, if it starts happening regularly, then I would include a few more calorie-dense foods to make up the calorie difference.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely hungry after working out, to the point I can go in hungry, and come out not wanting a pickle.

Just means more calories for later in the day.

If you know this is going to happen, plan your intake around it.

Win.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    exercise is a natural appetite supressent hun. my hunger normally comes about a few hours after the workout.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well.

Bumping for more discussion. =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, exercise suppresses hunger for many. If you aren't hungry, it's okay not to eat. Make up the calories by eating more calorie dense food.
    I skip breakfast pretty much every morning. Usually net 2 main meals a day with snacks up to 11:30pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Helendv8
    Helendv8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I'm rarely hungry after working out, to the point I can go in hungry, and come out not wanting a pickle.

Just means more calories for later in the day.

If you know this is going to happen, plan your intake around it.

Win.

I will ALWAYS want a pickle. Pickles are yum ;)
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot too but my appetite returns about 4ish hours after working out.
  • fat2fit1981
    fat2fit1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    what are the vidoes that are so fun :) I need something extra to do with my kids besides my weight lifting
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I did a little better yesterday. Just more frequent, smaller snacks in the afternoon. Netted a bit over 1000. Still under goal, but an improvement. I wouldn't really expect to want to eat directly after working out, but 4-5 house post I would think I'd get at least a little hungry. I'll just keep chugging along and hope for improvement. I added some extra cheese to one of my snacks for the day, and also some extra granola for my yogurt. Peanut butter isn't my favorite, but I could add some to a smoothie I suppose. Perhaps moving my workouts to the evening, so I am hungrier throughout the day?
  • Danimri84
    Options
    what are the vidoes that are so fun :) I need something extra to do with my kids besides my weight lifting

It is CIZE. Shaun T does it. I took dance lessons for 8 years when I was a kid, so it is right up my alley. My little boy is 5 and loves music and dancing, so it is fun for us to do together!
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a protein shake after the workout, something you can just sip on but its still putting good stuff in your body. Or if you like nuts they are great for you after workouts and good brain food.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I never actually FEEL hungry after a work out until around mid-afternoon (I usually work out from 6.30 - 8am, then off to work).

I dont really mind to be honest. If I dont have a hectic day or just a day answering emails or doing the boring bits of my job, I just leave it til the afternoon. It works really well for 5:2 diet!!

If I need to be on top form for meetings and events, I will eat something when I get to the office, but it's mainly for the mental brain food.

Working out really reduces my physical hunger cues and I only know I need something to eat when my brain gets a bit slow.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    It's normal for me not to be too hungry after a strenuous workout. The next day though, EAT ALL THE THINGS!!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry after a workout. Or on days that I am particularly busy. Now on my days off when I have done nothing but binge on Netflix I want to eat everything. That hasn't ever really changed for me, so I plan for it. During the week while I am busy I net less so I can eat more while I sit on my couch like a lump.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Is there anything that says you have to wait until you are hungry before you eat (different from feeling that you can't eat anything). I eat more on a schedule because it makes it easier to keep to a plan than waiting for hunger to strike.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderland of successful dieting! :)

I lost track of how many times I mentioned coffee, boil egg, avocado, cashew and various nuts.

Dieting is a walk in the park when you don't feel hungry, no appetite and actually feel energetic. (However, always try to net 1200 cal of nutritious foods for health).

Don't worry. You can make this into your default mode. Only occasionally do you feel certain food cravings. That's different from hunger. I can't remember the last time I really really felt hungry.
  • Danimri84
    Options
    Is there anything that says you have to wait until you are hungry before you eat (different from feeling that you can't eat anything). I eat more on a schedule because it makes it easier to keep to a plan than waiting for hunger to strike.

That's the thing, it isn't just that I don't feel hungry, I'm feeling like I can't eat anything. Totally no appetite.