How do you subside your cravings?

Options
I have a lot of cravings most of the time. Typically, the first few weeks of sticking to a meal plan I do fine, but then I start craving other food and really wanting to go out. What is it that you do to keep yourself on the right track and also eat the food you have prepared?

Sometimes with the food I prepare I get tired of it really fast, in which case, I wold rather be hungry than eat chicken and sweet potatoes for example.

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I let myself have very small amounts of things. I keep Lindor truffles around if I have a sweets craving, with the individual wrapping and great taste I can let myself have a bit and then move on. Or a small personal pizza if I'm craving pizza, etc.

Alternately: I find a healthy recipe that matches the category of what I'm craving and make it. This week I was craving pasta, so I made it. Next week is going to be stir fry, last week was burgers and tacos....
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you 'crave' in the appropriate amounts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When I try to eliminate foods I love, it backfires. I just want that food more, I think about that food more.

Eating small (manageable portions) helps teach me what I need for maintenance. I won't be avoiding foods x, y, & z during maintenance, so I should have portion figured out.

Besides logging some foods, is really an eye-opener. Some things will no longer be worth it.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Plan those meals to fit within your day (or week). I know I'm going to go crazy if I don't have chocolate, or beer, or a freakin bacon cheeseburger once in a while so I'll plan for those. Usually on the weekend since I'm much more active then. And I'll log it before so I can see what I should have for breakfast and dinner to meet (as best I can) my macros.
    Don't prepare the same thing to eat every day if you get tired of the same stuff. There's all kinds of healthy meals. It doesn't always have to me brown rice and fish or boneless, skinless chicken. lol You can make stuffed peppers, chef salads, chilis, wraps, or change the seasoning on your rice or chicken or fish so it's just a bit different.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat what I crave. Usually make it myself at home for less calories (Google is your friend), or just go and have a reasonable portion.

I mean, I have to eat anyway, why not eat something I actually want for those calories?
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I usually eat what I crave too. I keep donuts in the freezer and portion out reasonable sizes, eat chocolate like everyday in some manner, when I want a pizza I get a slice or a personal. I'm always mindful of portion sizes and if I can make it healthier for me in some way. If I can't make it healthier I just limit how much I eat of it. Also in the beginning I also said "well I ate X Amt of calories today and I can't eat anymore. I'm craving X item. I WILL eat that tomorrow for breakfast then!" So I just carry over my craving while maintaining a somewhat balanced diet and a caloric deficit
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if im craving something il snack on somethig like fruit/veg/fat and if im still craving it after eating i will fit it in. A lot of the time it goes away once i eat something else.. if not i dont deny it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    elimarsh11 wrote: »
    I have a lot of cravings most of the time. Typically, the first few weeks of sticking to a meal plan I do fine, but then I start craving other food and really wanting to go out. What is it that you do to keep yourself on the right track and also eat the food you have prepared?

Sometimes with the food I prepare I get tired of it really fast, in which case, I wold rather be hungry than eat chicken and sweet potatoes for example.

It sounds like you and are opposites - I find the first days without sweets and salty snacks the toughest - I prepare all the food I want, and then I eat that, I aim for variety and deliciousness because I know that what I make has to compete with junk that is made to just taste good and not nourish; I don't bring home foods I crave madly and binge on; when I'm out, I eat what I am served.

I have a couple of suggestions for you though - don't do somebody else's meal plan, make your own. Find some new recipes you would want to try and make them. Go out to eat with regular, planned intervals. When you are cooking, visualize yourself eating it.
  • TheMajesticOG
    TheMajesticOG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Every time I feel cravings coming on, I eat ice. It helps a lot!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Team "I just eat it if I really want it and make it fit in the calorie budget" checking in.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't really get cravings. If I am in the mood for a certain kind of food I have it. No restrictions on what I can eat and I have a very wide variety of things in my meal plans. Which is why I have successfully logged for over a year now and lost the equivalent of carrying around a toddler 24/7.