Cardio before or after weight lifting?

Options
So ive been working out with a bud of mine for about a month and our thing has kinda been "stretch, interval training on treadmill for 30-45 min, weightlifting."

I feel maybe the cardio workout is dampening my lift? Anybody have insight?

Replies

• ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tend to do my cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon after I have fuled my body in preparation. If I do them at the same time I opt for light cardio before weights as a warm up, especially on leg day as my legs would not take any treadmill work afterwards lol
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do it before and after. I do 15 minutes on a Nu Step machine - it's basically a recumbent stair stepper, then do my weights, then walk for about 15-20 minutes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I've always been told cardio AFTER weightlifting so your lifting doesn't suffer, but I'm curious to see what others say.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're doing them one after the other weights first if you're doing it in 2 separate sessions with time / meals in between the order is less important (in a nutshell you don't want to be depleting glycogen before doing your weights)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Usually when I train cardio and resistance on the same day I will do one in the AM and one in the PM...and even then, I'm usually looking at my rides on those days as more of a perfunctory thing to get some miles in...i.e. I don't do hill climbs for example on a lifting day...or a tempo ride on a lifting day...I'm just trying to get in the mileage and they're pretty light days as intensity goes...even though I have a break, I'm still looking at my lifts on lifting days as my primary emphasis.

If I were going to do them in succession, I'd lift first...again, my primary focus on lifting days is lifting. Often on Saturdays I take a nice little spin to the gym to lift and then a nice little spin home...it's done at a relatively easy pace and it's about 5 miles each way which makes for a good warm up and cool down, but definitely not a training ride.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want to do, cardio right after weights will reduce your size and power gains, cardio before will also do this. Cardio after weight will optimize your weight loss, but it is a minor effect. From what I hear, cardio before weights will improve your heart efficiency.

I tend to lift and do cardio on different day or really different times.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    cardio after, or never.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep, if doing cardio it should ALWAYS be done AFTER lifting. You'll always burn glycogen first, which is what you need for lifting. By the time you finish lifting and have burned off the sugar, you can do cardio to burn off fat. To do otherwise would be counter productive.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do a brief warm up, lifts and then cardio if I am doing both on the same day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Generally I found doing cardio before weight lifting negatively affected my lifting, while doing it the other way did not negatively affect my cardio.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I've always been told cardio AFTER weightlifting so your lifting doesn't suffer, but I'm curious to see what others say.

Lifting uses up your glycogen stores.
  • GoingSaiyan
    GoingSaiyan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So I went with what most of you said and physically I feel like I'm able to get in a better workout if I lift before my cardio. Not a definitive answer because I'm sure it depends on who you are but I see the lift before cardio working better for me. Thank you all for your help!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Cardio after....after 30-35 minutes on the bike, I am soaked in sweat and drained....not the time to start with weights
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'd say do the one you personally care about most first, and then do the one you don't care quite as much about.

I do strength then cardio - heart health is important to me but strength training aids with muscle preservation, and my heart health is already pretty good.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Prioritize first what's most important. For me, that's lifting, with cardio a very distant second. So lifting comes first, and cardio, when programmed is almost always the very last thing with only extra mobility work ever being programmed after.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd have to do lifting first because I don't like that type of training, so I'd save cardio for a 'treat' after. Yes that is a sad notion of a treat.

Seriously though I'd have to do lifting first because I think my technique would suffer if I was a little bit tired from cardio.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Depends on your goals.

This.

I would suggest though, that if you are working out for general fitness, and doing both in 1 session, I would do the weights first. Lifting is going to be a bit more technical than most cardio so I would want to be fresher to help avoid sloppy form due to fatigue.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, an intense cardio session means that strength training afterwards is going to be a half hearted attempt. I do however manage to have a strength workout first and then do some decent cardio. Maybe not "perfect" but still decent.