Not seeing results, prepared for some new ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Since you had glucose tolerance issues in the past, I would have a check with an endocrinologist just to make sure your baseline body chemistry hasn't changed in a way that would hinder your progress. If your metabolism doesn't react normally for whatever reason, creating a deficit alone will do nothing for you. :drinker:
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you really want results, I found I lost a lot of weight doing 1200 cals for a while.

I also found that when I did so much exercise I actually plateaued cuz I had too much variety.

After having maintained for the last 12 months and wanting to lose a couple more kilos I have found the only way is to eat an almost "clean diet".

I focus on high intensity activities like Body Attack and Combat classes with a bit of HIIT (3-4 days per week) plus lifting heavy weights (4-5 days per week - I focus on different body parts each weight session).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to whinge about giving up or cutting to 3 calories a day or anything but I'd appreciate any thoughts on changes to make as it's about a month since I've seen any weight loss, had a miminal decrease in measurements and getting frustrated.
    I'm 32, 5'6", my diary is open. Yes I have digital scales, not I don't have a HRM. Based on TDEE less 20% I'm set at just under 1500 a day.

I walk a couple of miles a day probably 4 days a week to get in and out of work, go to the gym a couple of times a week (30 mins cardio, 15-20 weights/resistence, 15-20 bodyweight resistance) and try to do the nerd fitness body weight circuits at home a couple of times a week. I tried some HIIT and didn't see any difference other than feeling like hell and really hungry for the rest of the day. I always eat back some, usually most of my exercise calories. I have a desk job.

I don't really eat many sweets and watch my carbs as I had glucose tolerence problems a few years ago when i was a lot bigger than I am now. I limit my caffeiene, get plenty of water, eat home cooked meals more often than not, don't drink much booze, lots of fresh veg etc.

Currently 85 kilos, down from 89 around easter. no loss recently at all.

So go on, hit me with some broscience. I'll consider anything except the sunshine diet!!!!

I have read most of the comments, personally I would cut back on my sodium, a lot of people on here thinks it does not matter, but at 2500mg, and some days you are over, that's a lot. Also do you really need "Knorr - Vegetable Stock Cube, 1 cube ". Drop that for a while.

It was not until I dropped my sodium to 1500 that the scale started moving downwards. My diary is open you can have a look. No logging yesterday as I am on vacation.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Now I can see your diary and couldn't before. Maybe the site has a glitch.
    I would cut the sodium. If you eat beef with a meal, don't buy prepared meat. Cook it from scratch. Look for other ways to cut sodium.
    I would also cut the dairy and see what happens. Substitute almond or soy milk or eat oatmeal or steel cut oats with diced apple or other fruit for sweetener.
    Drink more water and log it to make yourself aware of how much you are drinking.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    If you're following TDEE -20%, you should not be eating exercise calories back, as they are accounted for in your activity level. In fact, you don't even have to log exercise (thus why people log it as "1 calorie burned.")

That being said, are you set at sedentary? If you're exercising, you're not sedentary!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY encourage increasing your protein to over 100 a day. I have seen my weight significantly drop when I started eating higher protein. I also try to eat the majority of my carbs during the day...not sure if that has really helped or not.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    can't thank everyone enough for their input on this, I feel refreshed in motivation! Not sure I can quite get my head around eating more to weigh less but I will give it a go and start mixing up the exercise a bit more.

I have recently started tracking sodium and do need to cut that so there's a start and I'm going to try and cut the fat and up the protein.

More weights, I think I'll start saving for a PT session maybe as I get the fear of free weights I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't want to hurt myself/look like a total idiot so I think I need some instruction there if I'm going to do more than dumbells and body weight resistance.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just read your menu for the day and I agree with the people that said to increase you protein. I don't agree with cutting out all fats or fruits. That too drastic! The body needs BALANCE, geez! :huh:
    You may want to switch to lower fat products though in regards to milk and dairy. If you switch up some product choices you will feel like you are getting more "real food." And you won't feel as deprived "mentally". And after too many years of trying to get this right, I've found that every bite does count. Don't let those occasional meals out fool you. :cry:
    Keep going, don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I was scared to go down the TDEE-20% route as I know I'm basically a lazy cow and without "bonus" calories I won't exercise:ohwell: :drinker:

So I set myself to sedentary, upped calories to 1400 (life on the edge or what??!!:laugh: ) and eat back most of my exercise calories. I stuck for almost a month, then lost 2lb a week for the next 2 weeks in a row. I am now only 5lb from target following this, and losing 1/2-1lb a week.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cut the carbs

Cut any fruit

No coffee sugar dairy

Loads of water

8 hours sleep a night

Get the weights out

If you do that and don;t lose the weight I eat my dumbbells

the scary bit of that is dropping my one daily coffee! *cries* I'm stronger than a latte craving, I'll finish all the fruit in the fridge then give this a try, thanks.

You can have little snacks, Nuts or Berries. You can have ONE COFFEE a day, as long as there is NO MILK or SUGAR in it.

Get lean protein, and plenty of VEG/SALAD etc. Tiny bit of fat with each meal is ok(tiny)
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Nuts = Almonds, Brazil, Wall, Chest, etc, no dry roasted peanuts or M&S chocolate covered something
  • MarineVeteran
    Options
    I'm not going to whinge about giving up or cutting to 3 calories a day or anything but I'd appreciate any thoughts on changes to make as it's about a month since I've seen any weight loss, had a miminal decrease in measurements and getting frustrated.
    I'm 32, 5'6", my diary is open. Yes I have digital scales, not I don't have a HRM. Based on TDEE less 20% I'm set at just under 1500 a day.

I walk a couple of miles a day probably 4 days a week to get in and out of work, go to the gym a couple of times a week (30 mins cardio, 15-20 weights/resistence, 15-20 bodyweight resistance) and try to do the nerd fitness body weight circuits at home a couple of times a week. I tried some HIIT and didn't see any difference other than feeling like hell and really hungry for the rest of the day. I always eat back some, usually most of my exercise calories. I have a desk job.

I don't really eat many sweets and watch my carbs as I had glucose tolerence problems a few years ago when i was a lot bigger than I am now. I limit my caffeiene, get plenty of water, eat home cooked meals more often than not, don't drink much booze, lots of fresh veg etc.

Currently 85 kilos, down from 89 around easter. no loss recently at all.

So go on, hit me with some broscience. I'll consider anything except the sunshine diet!!!!

depending on how much alcohol you are drinking it's a considerable double whammy. Alcohol slows down your metabolism! Also alcohol calories get burned off first, leaving your food calories left to be burned last!! Couple that with a snail pace metabolism its not going to paint a pretty picture for anyone.

I know I shot up to 274 lbs, which I was originally around 245-250 lbs before then. Alcohol is a high caloric drink (1 fluid ounce of Jim Beam has 69 calories)

Think of your body as a race car. You wouldn't put garbage into the gas tank and expect it to run reliably, right? Same goes for you and everyone else too. Good luck with your journey!
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Oh yeah and of course

ZERO alcohol