Protein smoothie additions

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
I recently bought two varieties of plant based protein powder in an effort to have a super quick option when I know I won't be sitting down for a meal, but also they contain powdered greens that I don't much like to eat so it feels like a great option. However,they taste bad as is and I have to fix it to actually benefit from them.

I know a banana would probably be good for texture, but I don't really like fruits much. The flavors I have are vanilla and chocolate, and I haven't tried it yet but also PB2 to blend in. I know I'm not giving a ton of ideas of what I would like, I'm just hoping to see what you maybe add to powdered protein drinks to make them palatable.

I mix them with almond milk, I will be trying cow's milk soon. I'm guessing it will be better :)

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Avocado would give it a creamy texture. Nut butters. How about coconut? Check the freezer section at an Asian market. They probably have the frozen meat of a coconut.

• MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Banana isn't much of a fruit IMO, it's like a sugar stick. I second nut butters. How about spices like cinnamon and nutmeg? Froyo? I used to use frozen cool whip but lol it's not very "healthy". There's always coffee powder. Maybe extracts. Think about what you use to flavor baked goods too. Maybe chopped dates if you like dates (they're really sugary). Honey or agave syrup is nice but it will be very sweet.Coffee creamer but don't use too much, I would just use an extract but there's been times where I have used coffee creamer in desperate times. Oatmeal (even flavored, just account for the calories) is a tasty bulking agent in protein shakes. Farina too. Fresh mint and chopped dark chocolate is nice. I would reccomend to use a blender if you do any of this.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    demo_man wrote: »
    If weight loss is your goal I would skip the whole shake thing. Just eat solids and if you really need to skip a meal I usually rely on quest bars, but I don't make it a habit. Shakes are calories just the same as anything. You can easily be adding calories to your day trying to reduce them.

Eh to each his own some people actually like doing the whole shake thing, OP doesn't seem to like the mixes too much but she said she wanted something for conveniences sake. For some, shakes are a stepping stone for a well-rounded diet in the future. For others it's a treat (like me. I happen to like protein shakes more than milkshakes)

If shakes help, awesome. If not, try something else! Sure beats eating mcdonalds and being hungry after a tiny sandwich!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    demo_man wrote: »
    If weight loss is your goal I would skip the whole shake thing. Just eat solids and if you really need to skip a meal I usually rely on quest bars, but I don't make it a habit. Shakes are calories just the same as anything. You can easily be adding calories to your day trying to reduce them.

Eh to each his own some people actually like doing the whole shake thing, OP doesn't seem to like the mixes too much but she said she wanted something for conveniences sake. For some, shakes are a stepping stone for a well-rounded diet in the future. For others it's a treat (like me. I happen to like protein shakes more than milkshakes)

If shakes help, awesome. If not, try something else! Sure beats eating mcdonalds and being hungry after a tiny sandwich!

It is indeed for convenience, I'm not replacing all my lunches or anything. I usually eat a protein, veg, and some kind of dressing or sauce for flavor for lunch, but like today I knew a fork and plate wasn't happening. But my shake was awful, I gagged it down. I'm hoping Pb2 will help out, and I will try ice I think. If it's blended in maybe I won't notice the grit as much. Today I just had to shake it, when I have this again I will have a blender :)

I am amazed I was even able to keep it cold today! I like the plant based idea though, whey and soy don't agree with me. There's also a lot of fiber which I miss out on some days. The added greens is pretty cool too.