What calorie count do you use for Pizza?

Options
Curious what everyone uses for a calorie count for a slice of regular thick pizza with cheese/pepperoni.

The only reason I ask is the MAJOR variance in calories in the MFP database.

From 100 calories per slice to 700 calories per slice, it's harden to find a semi-accurate calorie count.

I chose a middle ground at 360 per slice. What do you use?

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    What brand is it? If it's a large enough chain, they should provide their own calorie information, or someone here may be able to help you find it.

But yeah, if I absolutely can't find the same brand, I'll look at pictures of other brands and choose whatever looks the closest, or do what you did and pick in the middle.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on the specific pizza. If I make it myself I create a recipe. If from a chain with nutrition information available (usually not, sigh, although I had some Lou Malnati's a couple of weeks ago), then it's easy, just make sure the size is correct. Otherwise, I guess or compare it to a chain pizza I'm familiar with.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If I get a frozen one, I use the calories on the package, if I make one myself, I count each ingredient I used, if I buy one from a pizzeria that does not offer nutrition facts of their wares... I just say *kitten* it and say that's the last calories for today since it's 99% in the evening when I get one anyway. Same goes for any other foods I have during social outings.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    What brand is it? If it's a large enough chain, they should provide their own calorie information, or someone here may be able to help you find it.

But yeah, if I absolutely can't find the same brand, I'll look at pictures of other brands and choose whatever looks the closest, or do what you did and pick in the middle.

Local pizza place :/

They have no idea what calories are in their pizza.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To be honest that's much more like what I do these days. Or I just log 1000 calories if I do the pizza at an Italian place thing (or any meal out unless it's more than my usual meal out).

When I was actively losing and trying to log well and going out a couple times a week I'd try to estimate ingredients and then add a bunch more olive oil or butter than I thought was there from observation, because restaurants.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Just assume the thicker the crust, the higher the calorie count.

The more cheese there is, the higher the calorie count.

Pesto, alfredo, etc sauce instead of tomato sauce up the calorie count.

Meat instead of veggies, particularly sausage, up the calorie count.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Curious what everyone uses for a calorie count for a slice of regular thick pizza with cheese/pepperoni.

The only reason I ask is the MAJOR variance in calories in the MFP database.

From 100 calories per slice to 700 calories per slice, it's harden to find a semi-accurate calorie count.

I chose a middle ground at 360 per slice. What do you use?

• elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just go to pizza huts web site and use their data on the closet match.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh it if possible and go with the most calorie dense one I can find on MFP. If I can't weigh, I eyeball it and will even add a little of a serving. Not all slices are cut equally. They can vary by 50% in my experience. For example a slice of Hot n Ready from Little Caesars is 99 grams. I often grab slices that are closer to 150g.
  • Microscopes
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    I try to weigh it if possible and go with the most calorie dense one I can find on MFP. If I can't weigh, I eyeball it and will even add a little of a serving. Not all slices are cut equally. They can vary by 50% in my experience. For example a slice of Hot n Ready from Little Caesars is 99 grams. I often grab slices that are closer to 150g.

That's a good idea.

I guess i'll just log 900 calories for the 2 slices and keep it moving.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I only eat Dominos pizza, and they have a page called "Cal-O-Meter" that you can click the toppings/pizza size/etc on and it'll tell you how many cals per slice.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I took the USDA database and wrote a query to easily search for a food item. The exported spreadsheet is what the database has for Pizza. The xlsx file is for Microsoft Excel. If you don't own Excel then you can use the ods file with Open Office or Libre Office, both of which are free open source software. The forums would not allow me to post the file here so I placed them on my website. I also posted the data in a PDF file in the Nutrition Data label format from a report I created.

http://mystic-nights.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2233

Libre Office
    http://www.libreoffice.org/

Open Office
    https://www.openoffice.org/
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I approximate local pizza places with Domino's nutrition, close enough for gov't work.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    Just go to pizza huts web site and use their data on the closet match.

This is what I do anytime I eat at a locally owned restaurant. I just find a chain restaurant that has similar dishes and use their info. Sometimes you just have to make the best guess you can.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza on whole wheat totilla shells. I put pizza sauce, then my toppings, then a bit of cheese and you've got delicious low carb low calorie pizza. Bake for 10 mins on 500, then broil for a min to melt cheese. You will not know you're not eating the real thing. One tortilla shell has 70 cals, then you add your toppings and cheese. Two is normally plenty, unless I'm really hungry then I have 3. I use Grimms pizza slices. Very low cal.

klnyef9lrixj.jpg
    91q6zt3fc10v.jpg
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh well my favorite food !!! I only eat neapolitan style pizza at Italian places - so if they do it correctly , each pizza dough ball is betw 180- 250 grams, tomatoes sauce 60 grams, bufala mozzarella 80g, extra virgin olive oil 4-5 gram , salt and basil. Omg i just want one now!
  • Microscopes
    Options
    Trinique34 wrote: »
    I make my own pizza on whole wheat totilla shells. I put pizza sauce, then my toppings, then a bit of cheese and you've got delicious low carb low calorie pizza. Bake for 10 mins on 500, then broil for a min to melt cheese. You will not know you're not eating the real thing. One tortilla shell has 70 cals, then you add your toppings and cheese. Two is normally plenty, unless I'm really hungry then I have 3. I use Grimms pizza slices. Very low cal.

klnyef9lrixj.jpg
    91q6zt3fc10v.jpg

I'm surprised a tortilla shell is able to hold the weight of the toppings when you pick it up?
  • Microscopes
    Options
    EddieP50 wrote: »
    I took the USDA database and wrote a query to easily search for a food item. The exported spreadsheet is what the database has for Pizza. The xlsx file is for Microsoft Excel. If you don't own Excel then you can use the ods file with Open Office or Libre Office, both of which are free open source software. The forums would not allow me to post the file here so I placed them on my website. I also posted the data in a PDF file in the Nutrition Data label format from a report I created.

http://mystic-nights.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2233

Libre Office
    http://www.libreoffice.org/

Open Office
    https://www.openoffice.org/

Thank you.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Trinique34 wrote: »

klnyef9lrixj.jpg
    91q6zt3fc10v.jpg

I do the same but use wholemeal pitta bread with tomato puree base then whatever toppings and mozarella cheese (as lower in fat and calories) and grill or cook in oven for 10 mins. Yum yum really does satisfy my pizza craving and is about half the calories of a 10" pizza for 2 pittas.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Here's the nutritional guide for a large chain, it is the uk version but you can google it for other countries
    http://corporate.dominos.co.uk/Media/Default/CSR/Nutritional info -TAFL/Nutritional Info - May 2014-1.pdf