Throw out the too big clothes or no?

Options
I am having a disagreement with my best friend. I have lost a total of 44 pounds (40 more to go) and have a tote full of clothing that no longer fits. Some is big, some really big. She wants me to donate it all, I want to hang on to just in case. I have lost almost 100 pounds twice and regained. Lost between 30 and 50 pounds multiple times. I said I would donate the really big clothing, and as I get smaller continually donate the really bigger, just keeping one size larger. She says holding onto them constitutes a security blanket and means I subconsciously think I am going to fail..again. I would love some opinions.

Replies

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Berkgal33 wrote: »
    I am having a disagreement with my best friend. I have lost a total of 44 pounds (40 more to go) and have a tote full of clothing that no longer fits. Some is big, some really big. She wants me to donate it all, I want to hang on to just in case. I have lost almost 100 pounds twice and regained. Lost between 30 and 50 pounds multiple times. I said I would donate the really big clothing, and as I get smaller continually donate the really bigger, just keeping one size larger. She says holding onto them constitutes a security blanket and means I subconsciously think I am going to fail..again. I would love some opinions.

I agree with your friend, BUT! I think you should keep atleast a shirt and some pants for comparison purposes. It feels good to try those old things on and see how big they are.
    Donate the rest. If you don't plan on gaining the weight back, then don't keep the clothes. It will be a higher stake for you; a bigger reason to not regain.

good luck!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I agree with your friend, BUT! I think you should keep atleast a shirt and some pants for comparison purposes. It feels good to try those old things on and see how big they are.
    Donate the rest. If you don't plan on gaining the weight back, then don't keep the clothes. It will be a higher stake for you; a bigger reason to not regain.

good luck!

^^ This. Don't keep anything that doesn't fit. Donate or consign it.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Get rid of it!
    Good for you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I kept the outfit worn in my official before pic. Everything else to goodwill. Multiple wardrobe iterations worth. Ultimately it's up to you. I suggest you do everything in your power not to repeat. Getting rid of big clothes might be one of the messages you choose to send your subconscious.
  • MsPinkyButtercup
    MsPinkyButtercup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. Get rid of it! I've actually read that if you keep bigger clothes then there is no incentive to keep the weighty off compared to if you have only the smaller clothes to wear.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You don't plan on moving back to that size, do you? No? So get rid of it.

Keep something that makes you feel itty bitty skinny every time you put it on. I swathe myself in a sweatshirt that I bought at school. Had to ask them to get the bigger sizes out of the basement, since off the rack (up to a 2x) didn't fit, and I needed the 4x. It hangs past my butt and could literally fit another of me in it, and it feels wonderful every time I wear that monster to the gym.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Down 40lbs. Gave a garbage bag (contractor size) to church for their lunch/drop in program. A lor of it was in excellent shape.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

good luck!

+2
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all my too big clothes in 2013, then of course gained most of my weight back. I'm on the fence right now about getting rid of all of it. The worst part is I spoiled myself for the first time ever with some really expensive ski clothing that is way too big now. Consignment sounds like a plan for that stuff next fall.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree. Get rid of it! I've actually read that if you keep bigger clothes then there is no incentive to keep the weighty off compared to if you have only the smaller clothes to wear.

I totally agree. For me, the number one motivation to kick my butt when I start gaining weight, is to realize that my clothes are getting too small, to a point I am hardly able to fit in them. I often reached the point where if I gained another 2 lbs, I would have had to go out and buy new suits and an entire new wardrobe. Not good. :-(

(BTW I am small, so + or - 5 lbs can make you change one clothing size).

So when the zippers and buttons are begging for mercy and that I am afraid to bend by fear to rip my skirts, I usually make a little effort first to stop gaining, then lose the extra 3 to 4 lbs gained, so my clothes fit again. No need for an actual diet - just being super reasonable in my eating for a two or three weeks, does the trick.

BUT if I had a huge supply of clothes in all sizes, I KNOW I'd just pick a slightly larger outfit, get used to the new weight and shape; then gain another 4 lbs, pick a slightly larger outfit, get used to the new wight and shape, etc. up to God knows what size.

So I think you should donate, or recycle.

Also: I am all for classic style and clothing ... but honey, nothing is eternal. Allow those early 2000s outfits to retire in dignity. :-)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Get rid of all of it. Then it won't be in the back of your mind that you might gain weight and need the bigger clothes. I got rid of all of my clothes when I lost. Now if I need a reminder of how much I've lost, I just go to a store, find a pair of jeans in my heaviest size, and a pair in the size I am now and hold them up together and compare them.
  • chicatwist
    chicatwist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Surely you will remain at your goal weight with a commitment to give your big cloths away. And besides that all will be out of fashion so you wouldn't want to wear it anyway! Have faith in yourself
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Did you get rid of your big clothes when you lost almost 100 pounds twice before?
    Are you doing an unsustainable weight loss plan this time? What are you doing different this time? What did you learn from the past? Do you want those 40 lbs back or do you want to move on?
    You say you want to hang on to it " just in case". I agree that that says security blanket and lack of confidence. I say get rid of the bigger clothing.
    I would look at your plan and make sure you are doing things you can stick with and have a maintenance plan. (Continuing to weigh regularly and log food)
    Worst case scenario you buy some new bigger clothes if you gain some weight. You don't want to do that. Maybe you get more determined if you had to buy new clothes than you would with a box of big clothes you could just reach into.
    Best case scenario you get to your goal and buy new smaller clothes. You learn to maintain better this time. No clutter.
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would get rid then if you goal weight clothes start to feel tight you will have to do something about it before it becomes a major problem x
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping a stack of pants from all the sizes I've gone through, size 20 is the largest, and I'm currently at size 12. I think once I've maintained for a while, 6 months or so after I hit goal weight, I'll get rid of the stack.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who posted. I REALLY appreciate it. I am trying to go for a slower weight loss this time and not throw myself off the deep end and deprive myself. PLUS I now own a business and cannot exercise for 2 hours a day like the previous times when I worked from home. So the clothes are going to Goodwill except for the 1 pair of the biggest pants and sweater to keep to show me how big I had gotten. I may even tell my friend she was right.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I get a bit nervous too. My highest weight was 220lbs and weighing size 20 & 1x-2x now I'm 156lbs and wear a size 8 & M. Anything XL and up are gone and anything size 14 and up are gone. Not sure why I'm holding on to 12s, and 10s are just in case because I did put back 20lbs last year (it's off now) but I had them. once I get to a 6, I guess I'll get rid of the 12s. I know, weird thought process..
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You need to keep one of the really big ones so that you can stand in your own pant leg one day....
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Get rid of it. If you have no 'fat clothes' then as soon as the clothes you have get tight, you know you have to refocus. I've kept weight off for 2 years simply because whenever my current wardrobe is uncomfortable, I get more rigorous about my diet. I think that the 'just in case' mindset can set you up for failure. Tell yourself the weight is not coming back because you are in control.
    P.S. congrats on the weight loss!
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    yeah... I lost 30 pounds and got rid of all my big clothes only to put it all back on and more. Maybe donate the big stuff and hang on to the rest. I've got all my smaller clothes in vacuum bags so they take up less space. My best mate lost a ton of weight and donated all her big clothes... to me, so at least I didn't have to go buy a new wardrobe when I put it all on again haha