Spinning benefits?

Options
I just started spinning for the first time a few weeks ago and I love it! I ditched the treadmill b/c of constant shin splints and it wasn't that fun. I know the treadmill can provide a total body work out, but what are the benefits to spinning in terms of body parts being worked? I know it's probably a lot different than the treadmill. If anyone can provide insight that would be great. I am currently using spinning as my cardio during the week to lose weight.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just do spinning for cardio. It does work some of your leg muscles, particularly your quads, but then when I hike I use a whole set of diferent muscles, so spinning can't be considered a total leg workout or anything.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Make sure to keep your core engaged to avoid lower back injury. Keep a bend in your elbow and your knees to prevent injury there as well. I like spinning! I do it at least once a week as cardio. The climbs can be good for strength, just make sure you're pulling up on the pedal as much as you're pushing down to keep those muscles engaged and working.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would say major benefit is cardio and endurance building. I use it for a high calorie burn, since I still have jiggles to burn plus it's a great stress release for me. I have great instructors with great music!
    And like MlleKelly said, Check your form! Make sure you get the instructor to set you up properly, your knees shouldn't over extend, keep elbows slightly bent and tucked towards your body, engage core muscles, don't grip too tightly (that would mean too much tension in your body), and make sure you don't crunch shoulders.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is cardio. If you prefer it, or want to mix things up, absolutely go for it. It is not a full body workout and neither is the treadmill. It is also not "safer" than running. Actually I managed to do damage to my achilles tendon by spinning.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    heart benefits and a sore bum i guess (if you can consider the latter as a benefit ;-)?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    A treadmill run isn't a "full body workout" and nor is spinning. It sounds to me as if you are looking for one exercise which does everything, work every part of the body and build cardiovascular fitness and burn a decent amount of calories. If that's what you want maybe find a bootcamp class somewhere near you where you will do strength exercises as well as cardio.

Spinning is great. I do it twice a week. It's non-impact so in terms of "safety" it's generally less of a strain on joints. It builds cardiovascular fitness quite well as an exercise, but it doesn't do everything my body needs in terms of exercise, it's just one tool in the box.
  • LKArgh
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To add: While it is often implied that spinning is a "safe" exercise, and there is the impression it is recommended for people who have injuries, arthritis etc, in fact this is false. Spinning is not the same as a bike ride. It is notorious for tendon injuries (as I have found out the hard way, and once it was too late) and also it is not a gentle exercise on the joints. It is fun, but it is not "safe" for everyone.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Looking around in my spin class and seeing how some people have their bikes set up and how some people do the class, I'm not at all surprised some people get injured. I often see knees overtracking toes, free spinning on no resistance while bouncing around in the saddle, handlebars in a "sit up and beg" position, "grinding the gears" i.e. far too high a resistance for current strength, saddles far too low etc etc etc. Every exercise can carry a risk when executed badly. Some instructors are better than others at picking these things up, but many customers also think they know best.

http://www.spinning.com/en/community/how-to-avoid-common-indoor-cycling-injuries

http://www.indoorcyclingassociation.com/blog/the-seven-deadly-sins-of-spinning®/
  • LKArgh
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Looking around in my spin class and seeing how some people have their bikes set up and how some people do the class, I'm not at all surprised some people get injured. I often see knees overtracking toes, free spinning on no resistance while bouncing around in the saddle, handlebars in a "sit up and beg" position, "grinding the gears" i.e. far too high a resistance for current strength, saddles far too low etc etc etc. Every exercise can carry a risk when executed badly. Some instructors are better than others at picking these things up, but many customers also think they know best.

http://www.spinning.com/en/community/how-to-avoid-common-indoor-cycling-injuries

http://www.indoorcyclingassociation.com/blog/the-seven-deadly-sins-of-spinning®/

Not sure if this is always the case. I was seriously injured by overuse alone, which also my physical therapist told me is the most common cause from what he has seen. No idea why it is more common in spinning vs outdoor biking, but I am guessing because there are no real variations in terrain? Or maybe because the rhythm is set by the instructor and not the cyclist?
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great input so far. Here's a great video as well in addition to what's already been shared.

Benefits to me are a high intensity cardio session that burns a good amount of calories (not much more than others though) and is super fun to do. Done properly, less impact than running - which I also love to do.

If you're going to do Spinning... Consider getting cycling shoes with cleats. It helps to make the most of your pedal stroke as well as helps to keep your knees in alignment.

Like others have said, I'll also say - neither Treadmill nor Spinning is a full body workout. Opportunity to train certain aspects and burn calories? Only machine that comes close to a full body workout in my opinion is a rowing machine. But, still not everything wrapped into one.

Each brings an opportunity for challenge and enjoyment - depending how you use them and if you like doing them. All in one? No...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4XKo1_tD9c
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Treadmill = full body workout?
    If you alternate walking on your hands perhaps! :smile:

Cycling is far more quad and glute dominant than walking or running but if you are primarily doing it for the cardiovascular/fitness/health benefits then do what you enjoy or mix it up.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Good video.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I switched to spinning as my preferred cardio late last year....and now I'm hooked.

Main thing is to make sure your bike is set up properly. You shouldn't feel any strain on your back or your butt or your arms (unless doing waves and jumps).

One of the perks for me has been literal...a perky bum. My butt has never looked so good!

NB: I spin for about an hour 4 days a week.
  • taylorwatson1
    taylorwatson1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started spinning around 5 months ago and I'm hooked! I go between 3-4 times a week and unlike previous cardio I haven't suffered with shin splints or any other issues so far.

In terms of weight loss I have benefitted quite dramatically and even now so close to my goal weight my body is changing due to spinning, especially my glutes and abs (no longer so much of a jiggle).

Depending on the instructor I get a good arm workout also (leaning across the bars, bending at the hips, etc)!

But enjoy it, I find spinning really fun and motivating, feel free to add me as a friend and we can encourage each other :)