worst of "evil" choices?

Options
Would you rather be 1) emotionally distraught with emotional/comfort eating and overweight, or 2 )emotionally distraught with food monitoring/restraint/discipline/some hunger and losing some weight with some pride in losing that weight?

I think you will say we should get rid of "emotionally distraught" but let's remove that possibility for this discussion. I think this is an interesting question and hope to hear from you.

Replies

• mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hate to answer a question with a question but in your second option you have pride as part of the answer so if you are feeling proud does that not contribute toward emotional well being? :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Is this what you are saying...? The choice between feeling pressured to comfort eat and pressured to overly obsess over controlling calories in, is a choice between a rock and a hard place for you?

I don't get "emotionally distraught" about food, but I realise some people do. Personally I think to address the psychological element of that person's relationship with food and what food stands for for them, or the void that it fills is addressed by neither 1 or 2. In scenario 1 nothing changes. In scenario 2 control or "discipline" becomes a defence mechanism to fight those feelings, but ultimately they are still there.

If, as you propose, there was no option in addressing the feelings and I HAD to chose between 1 or 2, it would be 2, because if given the choice I would rather tolerate a degree of distress and be an optimal weight, healthy and fit, rather than tolerate distress AND be fat and unfit.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm happiest when bulking (especially early on in a bulk), but when cutting (as I am now) I am constantly hovering somewhere between being emotionally distraught from monitoring / restraint, and feeling proud of my progress. I get comfort from the fact that If I really want something I can make it fit, and there is a purpose in what I am doing.

Being emotionally distraught over weight gain and over eating sounds awful to me. Not having the self control to stop yourself, not having any point to your actions. I've never been there, but it sounds like it would make me feel totally helpless/hopeless. The few minutes of enjoyment of the food would be small compensation for the hours of guilt I'd feel afterwards.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ltssharon wrote: »
    Would you rather be 1) emotionally distraught with emotional/comfort eating and overweight, or 2 )emotionally distraught with food monitoring/restraint/discipline/some hunger and losing some weight with some pride in losing that weight?

I think you will say we should get rid of "emotionally distraught" but let's remove that possibility for this discussion. I think this is an interesting question and hope to hear from you.

Of the two choices option 2 would seem to be better for me. (I don't feel emotional about food though)
    What does emotionally distraught mean though? Is it an eating disorder, stress, chronic depression or severe anxiety, sadness over a death or relationship break up, lack of social connections, sleep deprivation, chronic drug or alcohol abuse, being abused emotionally or physically, baggage from the past, being a perfectionist?

Option 3- Deal with my emotions in a different way. Therapy, medication, meditation, exercise, cleaning, gardening, music, photography, sewing, painting sculpting, volunteering, writing, talking, sleeping more, join a support group, join a social group, changing jobs, ask for help, leaving abusive relationship, etc.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Emotionally distraught is a pretty strong term now I think about it. What I feel is more of a mild frustration.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    How about emotionally distraught with a heavy bag nearby, and then in 30 minutes or so, not so emotionally distraught and just tired?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If those were my only options then #2 because I would feel like I was at least in control of the situation. Emotional eating and being overweight can make you feel weak and powerless. I'd prefer the pride of some weight loss and the discipline of monitoring.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    2, because the comfort or escape (I was more of a mindless rather than emotional eater) only lasts for as long as I am eating the food. As soon as I stop, the boredom or emptiness returns.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    #1 for me. I recently had a bought of depression this winter which lead to suicidal thoughts (was already seeing a therapist and we caught it before I got to suicidal actions and I'm now much better). I put on about 20 pounds at the same time because not only am I a comfort eater but I also binge eat as a sort of self-harm. When my therapist and I addressed the binge eating while I was still working through the other stuff, we both agreed that it was better than other forms of compulsive self-harm I could be doing. Had I tried to force myself to control my eating before I dealt with the "emotional distraught" part, I suspect it would have manifested in other, and worse, ways.

But living while emotionally distraught is no way to live and it should absolutely be addressed.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing. Was there any particular technique the therapist uses to address binge eating if you please? I haven't found a therapist with any particular experience.