Replies

• nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat clean tooo ????
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Clean means something different to everyone but I consider myself a clean eater with occasional blips. I don't venture into 'diet food' territory, eat plenty of fruit and veg and home cook most meals.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Could someone define 'clean' for me - thanks
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat non processed food, not always successful, but that's the objective. Hence shouldn't really matter where someone is from, as the objective is to eat meat/fish/veggies/fruit - no labels or packaging. However, I know some labels sneak in there, I'm Irish, most of the same stuff over here as in UK. Feel free to add me - my diary is open. not been the most consistent last 2 weeks, I'm generally better.
  • kissedgrafixx
    kissedgrafixx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means eliminating refined, processed, and chemically-enhanced foods. The basic rules are no white sugar, no white flour, no white rice, no preservatives, etc. Almost everything has added ingredients to it nowadays. It focuses on eating whole, natural foods. Basically, if you can't find it in nature - don't eat it.

I have been a clean eater for about 4 months (giving myself a cheat meal here and there - and that's a MEAL, not a day). I feel SO much better. I personally don't include any cheese or butter in my diet (I just don't think humans are meant to consume dairy) but it is allowed in Clean Eating as long as nothing is added to it (for instance, clean eaters would get a whole block of cheese and shred it themselves, not get the pre-shredded crap).

I urge you to look at the ingredients on the things you eat every day. The lists of ingredients can cover half of the box! Clean eaters generally turn it away if there's more than 4-5 ingredients (generally rule of thumb is, if you don't know what the heck the ingredient is, your body won't either).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means eliminating refined, processed, and chemically-enhanced foods. The basic rules are no white sugar, no white flour, no white rice, no preservatives, etc. Almost everything has added ingredients to it nowadays. It focuses on eating whole, natural foods. Basically, if you can't find it in nature - don't eat it.

Do you know how they make sugar white?
    I have been a clean eater for about 4 months (giving myself a cheat meal here and there - and that's a MEAL, not a day). I feel SO much better. I personally don't include any cheese or butter in my diet (I just don't think humans are meant to consume dairy) but it is allowed in Clean Eating as long as nothing is added to it (for instance, clean eaters would get a whole block of cheese and shred it themselves, not get the pre-shredded crap).

So grating is a process that counts and makes something 'unclean'.

Good, at least we've got something cleared up.

So farming,
    milking,
    pasturising,
    sterilising,
    filtering,
    cutting,
    stirring,
    cooking,
    curdling,
    draining,
    salting,
    milling,
    pressing,
    molding,
    ripening,
    storing,
    taste testing,
    quality control,
    packaging, and whatever else goes into cheese doesn't so that's cleared up.

Just rubbing it against a piece of perfectly clean stainless steel with holes in makes it no longer 'clean'.

I'm glad we've cleared at least these processes up.
    I urge you to look at the ingredients on the things you eat every day. The lists of ingredients can cover half of the box! Clean eaters generally turn it away if there's more than 4-5 ingredients (generally rule of thumb is, if you don't know what the heck the ingredient is, your body won't either).

So if I make a salad and put in;
    1. Tomatoes I grew in my garden
    2. Lettuce (my garden)
    3. Peppers (garden)
    4. Carrots (gdn)
    5. Cucumber ()

Then that's ok.
    BUT!
    if I also put in
    6. Onions (from the garden)
    7. Chives (garden)

IT'S NOW NOT CLEAN AND I'LL END UP OBESE!

People wonder why people mock clean eaters, as though they have no clue about what they are talking about.
    It's abundantly clear that 'clean eaters' bodies know far more about basic chemistry than they do.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Im in UK and in the same boat! Can a group be created to allow discussions to run off from this? Recipes etc?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/new
  • kissedgrafixx
    Options
    There's no need to be rude, I was giving information based on my personal experience and what I've read because someone asked. When I was talking about the amount of ingredients, I was talking about products you would buy pre-packaged at a store. Obviously, home-cooked meals are a completely different thing. And about the cheese thing, that's why I personally don't eat it!! I personally don't think it's clean - I just gave information based on what I've read about other clean eaters.
  • binniesmart
    Options
    Why do people have to be so patronising? I asked a similar question about clean eating a while back and got criticised about greek yogurt of all things! I totally get the grated cheese point you were making, they add preservatives to extend shelf like and ingredients to avoid clumping. My concept of clean eating is basically avoiding anything synthetic. Cheese is fine in my book, so it butter, so is milk, so is anything that is made from natural whole ingredients. I personally try to avoid E numbers, colourings, MSG, low fat versions of foods that have no nutritional value. If greek yogurt goes against this, due to the 'process' of making it, then may the next lightning bolt strike me down!!!
  • kissedgrafixx
    Options
    Why do people have to be so patronising? I asked a similar question about clean eating a while back and got criticised about greek yogurt of all things! I totally get the grated cheese point you were making, they add preservatives to extend shelf like and ingredients to avoid clumping. My concept of clean eating is basically avoiding anything synthetic. Cheese is fine in my book, so it butter, so is milk, so is anything that is made from natural whole ingredients. I personally try to avoid E numbers, colourings, MSG, low fat versions of foods that have no nutritional value. If greek yogurt goes against this, due to the 'process' of making it, then may the next lightning bolt strike me down!!!

Exactly. And yes, that's what I meant by the cheese reference - at least you understood! Basically, what it comes down to, is eating what makes your body feel good, healthy, and energized. If that means having greek yogurt, then so be it! Do whatever works for you. Nobody else has to live in your body so they can take their judgment elsewhere.