30 DS and normal exercise

Options
I've just started the 30 Day Shred for the second time (gave up about a week into it last time!), and I was wondering if anyone who has successfully completed it or is currently completing it is combining the exercise in the 30DS with other cardio and strength activities they usually do? I'm not sure whether to just do the video exercise or to continue running and lifting small weights at the same time.
Thanks!!!

Replies

• jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i do level 2 30DS every other day - i find it too boring to do every day. I always add at least 30 minutes free weights/and, or ab floorwork to the end of it before stretching.

I love the workouts, but I don't think she can count! I'm sure I'm going to end up with an overdeveloped right shoulder and thigh - she never does enough on the left lol! And her stretches are waaaaay too short!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I hate the thought of doing the same workout every day so I switch between 30DS, ripped in 30 and banish fat boost metabolism. This was my first week of that program and its going well and Im not bored yet. I find rotating workouts keeps the boredom away and stops me giving up!
    jakkisr - same here, I hate when that happens. Im sure she says "last 2" and does 4 lol or takes ages to move onto a new move so I just start before she does as I get tired of waiting!
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i saw an interview with jillian michaels which basically said the name 30DS was a marketing ploy rather than do it for 30 days straight. she said the best thing to do with it each week is 2 days 30DS, a day cardio, 2 days 30DS, a day cardio and a rest day. it's what i'm doing at the moment and it's good keeping up variety. also throw in some extra weight lifting if i fancy it.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I always combine it with other cardio, if not i don't lose weight as much. So I usually do 45 mins of other cardio, then do the 30DS right after it.
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    when I did it the first time, it was too hard on my lifeless muscles to do anything BUT 30 DS. I was seriously beat. If you really want to finish it, maybe cut back on the long cardio sessions for a month and focus on 30 DS. you'll probably get better faster results.

That being said, its true what another poster mentioned, the "30 Day" thing is a marketing ploy. ideally, you should be getting rest days and mixing it up with other exercise. I like attainable short term goals and seeing real change quickly, so I mostly stuck with the program. I took 5 rest days but tried to stay as close to working out every day. I feel I had good results--enough to follow it up again for another month. Now that I got through the first round, I have better endurance, and am now adding 1 hour cardio on bike daily.