When sick

Options
TuesdayMarch01st2016
TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
& not being able to consume enough calories, do you add what you weren't able to consume; when you're better?

Also if you vomit, do you subtract your last meal or a certain amount of calories; from your total consumed?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about logging when that sick and much of what you eat is coming back out. I focus on logging more when I have a cold and can still plow through a few thousand calories.

I would not make up for uneaten calories when you get better unless you are really hungry. You are most likely going to lose several pounds of water weight while sick, most or all of which will come back on when you start eating normally again.

Just try to stay hydrated as much as possible and feel better soon!
  • TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your reply immensely!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Serious dedication!

Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    & not being able to consume enough calories, do you add what you weren't able to consume; when you're better?

Also if you vomit, do you subtract your last meal or a certain amount of calories; from your total consumed?

I don't think that'd be wise if you have a lot of calories to 'catch up' on as you might be trying to get your body to go from eating very little to eating a lot in one go and stressing it too much after it has been weakened. You're possibly just better off eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks or until you're fully recovered. But check with a doctor for clarification. Just don't turn eating into a backlog of things you feel you have to catch up on.

And I wouldn't get into trying to track what you're vomiting up, that's a bit too much.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    If I don't get enough calories for a day or two because I'm sick I don't worry about it. It's not as if I were purposely not eating a healthy amount. If you are sick then you are not healthy that day. I never try to catch up on the missed calories either, but I am not sick a lot. If I were vomiting regularly because of anxiety problems (I know people who have done this) then I probably would try to make up for those missed calories. But usually if I am vomiting it is because my stomach is refusing to accept food and I don't force any food on it until it is ready.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are vomiting I would not worry about logging until you are back to normal. Presumably you aren't eating for about 6 hours after the last time you vomitted so there shouldn't be much to log.
    If you are not vomitting you could log but I still wouldn't worry about reaching your calorie goal or being super accurate for just a couple of days.
    When you are all better just start eating and logging normal. You don't need to try to make up for your sick days.