Strong Lifts 5x5 with Partner Question

Options
Hi all, my daughter will be finishing college shortly and we have plans to work out together using the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. When you are working out together, is it better to alternate sets with the other person who may or may not be using different weight, or wait till one person has done 5 sets etc. We don't want to monopolize a piece of equipment too long, and we would like to keep the workouts on the short side, under an hour or so. Has anyone done this program with a gym partner? If so, how did you approach it?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You should do your sets during each other's rest. Little more time spent than just one person. People frequently share during sets.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Yep, just work back and forth. Not a big deal swapping weights and that way you can give feedback to each other on form.
  • MetalGrootvader
    MetalGrootvader Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend just started and I found it easy. The 90-180 seconds of recommended rest between sets is used to change the weights etc. Actually that makes it easier since I am not staring at my 5x5 app watching the timer tick by lol.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I swap the weights back and forth between every set we (my wife and I) do. I can theoretically swap the weights fast enough that she can do a set and I'm not quite done resting between sets (I take 3 minute breaks). However, in practice my wife isn't ready to lift the second I have the plates swapped (usually something to do with the kids or whatever) and so it does drag a little longer.

One thing I do though is all of my warmup sets get done in one batch before I throw her weights on otherwise I'd be swapping weights way too many times.

I think the biggest annoyance is the height difference, as it means I have to completely deload the bar for every swap so I can move the hooks down/up. I've been tempted to buy a second set of hooks for my half rack as I believe they will both fit/work no problem at the different heights.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Most definitely alternate sets. You'll waste a huge amount of time waiting on the other person to complete all five sets.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My husband and I alternate sets, swapping weight. It goes pretty quickly. For rows we get two bars and alternate sharing the space to save even more effort. No need to swap weights. It's nice because it's the last exercise and I don't really want to mess with his weights by that point. :)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I do 5x5 together. As everyone said alternate sets. One person has to rest either way so it's not even time consuming.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

I think the biggest annoyance is the height difference, as it means I have to completely deload the bar for every swap so I can move the hooks down/up. I've been tempted to buy a second set of hooks for my half rack as I believe they will both fit/work no problem at the different heights.

I have had a partner that was a foot taller than me, On leg day i would squat while he pulled, or visa versa so that we didn't have to change squat rack heights every time. The gym i go to now has a monolift , so we all line up in a row and rack height is never a problem