Sodium Intake?

Options
Sonj1973
Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
Hi there all hope your doing well :).....Just a query, on my daily amounts my sodium intake level states 2500.....I have never come close to achieving this....The best day I had was when I used soya sauce..

So could anyone tell me are there sodium levels as high?
What foods contains Sodium?
Is it important to have this much included in your daily diet and what benefits gained from it?

Thanx very much all feedback very much appreciated :) Sonj

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The 2500 is set as an upper limit - goal is to try to not eat more than that. For some people, with higher risk of cardiovascular problems associated with high sodium intake, the level needs to be manually modified to 1500.
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    The 2500 is set as an upper limit - goal is to try to not eat more than that. For some people, with higher risk of cardiovascular problems associated with high sodium intake, the level needs to be manually modified to 1500.

This. And the upper limit should actually be lower. More like 2300. So you should be aiming for 1500-2300, and you are probably getting that.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I pass it sometimes by a lot, or a little or I'm under. The numbers are conservative on this site though and keeping sodium below 2500 per research has no proven chance of lowering risk of stroke. Plus you have to take into account an individuals activity level and the amount of strenuous exercise.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What foods contains Sodium?
    Most foods naturally have some amount of sodium, but the amount varies. Unprocessed, there's usually very little by comparison to almost any kind of restaurant food, fast food, and almost every single food item you eat from a package or can of some kind, which will be loaded with it, often unnecessarily. Look at the nutrition facts found on labels or restaurant info sheets (in-store or online). Or just search the food in MFP's database..

You do need sodium to live, just like you need fat to live. And I don't want to live without carbs, so I need those too... Point is, just don't overdo it and you should be fine. I try to stick to 2500 or less, but some days I'm over, some days I'm under. At the end of the week, I'm usually under, but I eat a ton of home-prepared meals where I control ingredients.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options

This. And the upper limit should actually be lower. More like 2300. So you should be aiming for 1500-2300, and you are probably getting that.

Sodium is rather important to life, and the evidence on how much you should be taking in is still inconclusive. Drinking a quart of soy sauce is certainly not recommended, but if you are healthy with normal blood pressure, large-scale scientific reviews have determined there’s no reason to restrict sodium intake. Now, if you already have high blood pressure, you may be “salt sensitive.” In that case, reducing the amount of salt you eat could be helpful. Consider though, it’s been known for the past 20 years that people with high blood pressure who don’t want to lower their salt intake can simply consume more potassium-containing foods.

Why? Because it’s really the balance of the two minerals that matters. In fact, Dutch researchers determined that a low potassium intake has the same impact on your blood pressure as high salt consumption does. And it turns out, the average guy consumes 3,100 milligrams (mg) of potassium a day—1,600 mg less than recommended.

When your potassium and sodium are out of whack, bad things happen. If you have a higher salt day, make sure you balance it with additional high potassium and you should be fine.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Sodium is rather important to life, and the evidence on how much you should be taking in is still inconclusive. Drinking a quart of soy sauce is certainly not recommended, but if you are healthy with normal blood pressure, large-scale scientific reviews have determined there’s no reason to restrict sodium intake. Now, if you already have high blood pressure, you may be “salt sensitive.” In that case, reducing the amount of salt you eat could be helpful. Consider though, it’s been known for the past 20 years that people with high blood pressure who don’t want to lower their salt intake can simply consume more potassium-containing foods.

Why? Because it’s really the balance of the two minerals that matters. In fact, Dutch researchers determined that a low potassium intake has the same impact on your blood pressure as high salt consumption does. And it turns out, the average guy consumes 3,100 milligrams (mg) of potassium a day—1,600 mg less than recommended.

When your potassium and sodium are out of whack, bad things happen. If you have a higher salt day, make sure you balance it with additional high potassium and you should be fine.

This. There are natural BBers who prep eating up to 5,000mg in sodium. The only thing I've found so far is that after 7k there can be problems.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Interesting problem! I have struggled in the past with the opposite! Too much sodium!

2500 mg per day seems to be a recommended standard in both the USA & Canada. There has been suggestions that people with high blood pressure should reduce to 1500mg. This I think is still being debated & studied.

As for what contains sodium, anything processed and packaged. Along with anything you eat at a restaurant!

If you are having trouble reaching 2500mg I would guess that you are eating mostly raw or home cooked/prepared foods?

As an example a single serving of a Campbell's soup (half can) may contain over 900 mg of sodium. A small bag of Lays potato chips (75g) will have in excess of 500mg. Two slices of standard whole wheat bread will have 300 - 500mg depending on the brand.

If you re eating lots of fresh fruits & veggies and very little breads, box cereals, frozen and/or prepared foods. Then being well under 2500 mg is easy. But one grilled cheese sandwich and BAMN!

As a parting thought, if you are exercising regularly and strenuously. ie 90 min + 5x per week or more where your heart rate & respiration get high enough it is difficult to maintain a conversation. Try and hit the 2500mg sodium mark. You lose tons of chemicals when you sweat including sodium. and, just like too much sodium can contribute to high blood pressure, too little can cause pressure fluctuations that will leave you dizzy and could be dangerous.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Per Mayo Clinic:

" The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting sodium to less than 2,300 mg a day — or 1,500 mg if you're age 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease.

Keep in mind that these are upper limits, and less is usually best, especially if you're sensitive to the effects of sodium. If you aren't sure how much sodium your diet should include, talk to your doctor or dietitian. "

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yes--I would agree with those who say that we get way more than enough sodium with the standard diet. I went to a restaurant a few months back where just the salad alone had 1,800 mg. of sodium (I try to limit my sodium intake to 1,500 mg. per DAY). It has been estimated that our paleolithic ancestors ate a diet that probably had around 900 mg. of naturally occurring sodium a day and a potassium intake that was probably close to 5,000 mg. per day. We develop a taste for excessive salt and when you consciously limit it for a while, you find that processed and restaurant food tastes WAAYY too salty. I tried to eat a bowl of canned soup the other day and ended up throwing it out as it was unbearably salty.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Its the processed foods and restaurant foods that really drive it up.
    My intake is usually way under 2500 because I dont eat a lot of packaged foods but when I eat at restaurants Im always over.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

This. There are natural BBers who prep eating up to 5,000mg in sodium. The only thing I've found so far is that after 7k there can be problems.

Yes--athletes need a lot of sodium, but they need even more potassium. Depends on how much you sweat. Anyone who sweats a lot can eat a lot of sodium BUT it is important to avoid getting too much. Salt tablets should NEVER be taken by anyone--just salting to taste at the table is enough. The more you sweat, the more you will find that salty food tastes good. But potassium deficiency is VERY serious and athletes need to pay special attention to their potassium intake. Craving fresh fruit is a sign that your body needs more potassium. The problem is that instead of eating fruit, many athletes will load up on sugary treats as a substitute for fruit. Not good.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I found that my biggest sources of sodium usually include frozen meals, soups, and restaurant/fast food meals.
    Yesterday I went to Olive Garden and I most likely consumed enough sodium for five grown men in one sitting, it was shameful but so delicious. xD
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Too low salt actually increases mortality rates...

In the study, published in the May 4, 2011, issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), European researchers followed 3,681 men and women for an average of about eight years.

They report that people with the lowest levels of sodium in their urine (a marker of salt intake) at the start of the study had a 56 percent higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than people with the highest levels.

Equally unexpectedly, among the 2,096 participants who had normal blood pressure at the start of the study, urinary sodium appeared to have no effect on the development of high blood pressure over six and a half years.

Reference
    1. Stolarz-Skrzypek K, Kuznetsova T, Thijs L, et al. Fatal and Nonfatal Outcomes, Incidence of Hypertension, and Blood Pressure Changes in Relation to Urinary Sodium Excretion. JAMA. 2011; 305:1777–85.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Too low salt actually increases mortality rates...

In the study, published in the May 4, 2011, issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), European researchers followed 3,681 men and women for an average of about eight years.

They report that people with the lowest levels of sodium in their urine (a marker of salt intake) at the start of the study had a 56 percent higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than people with the highest levels.

Equally unexpectedly, among the 2,096 participants who had normal blood pressure at the start of the study, urinary sodium appeared to have no effect on the development of high blood pressure over six and a half years.

Reference
    1. Stolarz-Skrzypek K, Kuznetsova T, Thijs L, et al. Fatal and Nonfatal Outcomes, Incidence of Hypertension, and Blood Pressure Changes in Relation to Urinary Sodium Excretion. JAMA. 2011; 305:1777–85.

Yes--blood pressure rising in response to sodium means that there has already been a bit of damage to the renal system (probably, from poor diet and lack of exercise). Those with healthy kidneys can expect to excrete the excess sodium without it causing a rise in blood pressure. Healthy, young athletes should be encouraged to salt their food to taste and also be encouraged to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables to ensure adequate mineral balances.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    The study was on the normal populace. So on athletes, even more.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I shoot for no more than 1500mg/day on my sodium. Anything higher and I bloat like puffer fish. If you intake more sodium just remember to flush it with more water.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I barely eat 1,000 mg a day unless I eat out. You actually only NEED about 500 mg and it's more important to have a healthy sodium/potassium balance than how much you get.

You'll usually know by feeling crappy if you're not getting that right. I don't even bother to track it.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I was purposely eating below 1500 mg sodium. When I had my blood tested, my sodium number came just under the minimum healthy number. My doctor advised me to start getting in more sodium, I will be retested in October. My doctor told me that a healthy person is perfectly capable of processing 2500 mg and that sodium attracts water to our cells, which helps to cushion our cells.
  • Sonj1973
    Options
    Thanxs for that :)...trouble is I prepare all my own food and rarely eat processed foods, so what ingredients could I add to increase my sodium levels? Thanx much appreciated :)
  • Sonj1973
    Options
    July 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanxs for that :)...trouble is I prepare all my own food and rarely eat processed foods, so what ingredients could I add to increase my sodium levels? Thanx much appreciated :)