Crossfit - eek :(

Options
I just started a crossfit class this week... so very sore after my first night - I feel very intimitated... the first class had a lot of stuff I haven't done since elementary school (bars with chalk, rings, skip rope)... The instructor texts us what the next workout will be a day before class.. which is great because we can do some research and know what to expect.... part of tonight will be handstands... i have NEVER been able to do handstands (wall or NO Wall) :( I am scared. I know i have to get my head around it - but I dont want to be crying when I get there!... i dont trust myself and i dont have much upper body strength... how in the world am I going to do this!!!?? .. i am trying to tell myself that it will be ok - that it will be good to gain the strength.. how cool will it be if I can actually do it eventually!! urgh! I question why i started - and then question why i am making such a big deal about all of this!

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Your coach should have scales ready for you, for example I would get you inverted on a box pike first to get you comfortable, if you aren't ready to kick up on the wall.

The beauty of crossfit is that we can scale every movement and workout to your ability.

Is this an on ramp course, or did you just join a class in progress?
  • tlyric97
    tlyric97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    just a 6 week kinda camp for beginners - so it's nice to not be the only newbie.. and yes - have learned there are different levels which is great.. but i have never thought I would actually "get there".. totally gotta change my way of thinking!!!
  • tlyric97
    edited March 2016
    Options
    very intimidating and hard! .. excellent calorie burn tho!... and great to gain the strength! .... I am just really nervous i guess.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Since it is a beginners class, I would think your coach would be prepared to "ease"/scale you into the exercises. Would think that your coach wants you, and your classmates, to succeed and will do what is needed to help do so. As there are other beginners in your class, it's OK to be concerned but don't worry too much. Do what you can, doing your best, and seek improvement. Remember, if you don't enjoy it, you won't stick with it. If you don't enjoy it, find something you do.
  • tlyric97
    Options
    yes thank you... i think i will struggle through the 6 weeks as it's already paid for and it will kick my *kitten*/kick start everything.. i will have gained a lot by the end of it I am sure.. and then i can decide if i want to continue :)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about 9 months. My wife finally decided to give it a try about 7 weeks ago and loves it. I thought I had drunk the kool-aid, but she takes it to another level (all in a good way of course).

When she started, and even still now, she felt very intimidated and self-conscious about everything - the shape she was in, her cardio base, how much she could lift, what exercises she could do (or what the coach would allow her to do at first), etc. She still is doing most things scaled, and slowly is moving closer to doing Rx movements.

Two things for sure - 1) at the end of 6 weeks you'll be further along and more comfortable than you are today, and 2) if you decide to continue, you'll never master everything. They will always be new things and/or things you need to work on getting better at. But that's the great thing about CrossFit and what I always tell my wife. It never gets easier, unless you let it, and most people realize the other great thing about CrossFit is you don't want it to be easy. In the famous words of Tom Hanks -

'It's supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everyone would do it.'
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just to reinforce what everyone else has been saying: There are always ways to scale or swap movements you cannot do. Nobody comes in to Crossfit and is able to do all the movements. I am sure your trainer will do that for you.
  • tlyric97
    edited March 2016
    Options
    that's great! ... and so right!!! :) thankyou upstate_dunadan!
  • tlyric97
    edited March 2016
    Options
    right! thanks tufel! .. I guess I have never challenge myself so much before... so i am panicking lol - mind over mater - just gotta get my head around it ..urgh :)
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I been doing crossfit for years. I took a break from it due to school and work and not being able to get scheduled. Just went back this week and I fell instantly back in love with it. First thing my boy asked me (guy who owns the studio), have you been working out since I been gone.

I said yeah of course. He said great, no need to scale you back into anything.

A good crossfit gym/box/studio with a good trainer will have scales for beginners. Work on form for weeks before you get going full speed.

My first week in all I did was slow repetitions of the same base moves over and over again. Learning to basics and getting the form down is key to staying safe and injury free.

I was nervous too and that's expected. You will be fine
  • tlyric97
    Options
    thanks :) i do need to remember to slow down and work into things.. usually it's full speed ahead and head first!