Scale Averages

Options
I have a good scale with new batteries but like a lot of scales, each time I step on it, it gives me a different reading. Granted, it's usually only within a half a pound to a pound and a half and in the grand scheme of things that doesn't mean much but each little bit maintains my motivation.

I've been using the "step on the scale three times and take the average" method. Just wondering what everyone else does for the official recording of your weight (whether that be daily, weekly or whenever). Do you step on it once and that's the recorded weight, do you take the average, take the lowest?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My digital scale gives me the same reading when I step on it multiple times in quick succession. You really shouldn't be getting different readings within a very short time span like that, assuming you aren't eating/drinking/changing clothes/etc between measurements. I would probably take the highest number but I'd also get a new scale.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hmm, depending upon the construction of the scale mechanism there can be some different readings in quick succession. Try to step on it in the exact foot position each time, perhaps near a corner where your balancing motions wont affect the response as much. Scales should also generally be more accurate towards the middle of their published weight range.
    But in general, it is often advised to weigh in no more than once a week, that should smooth out most inconsistencies.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I step on my scale twice and get the same reading both times. I have had scales in the past that gave me different readings and I took the average, but I replaced the scale.
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also have this (with month-old Salter digital scales with new batteries :# ) and I just basically keep trying until I can get it to give me the same reading three times in a row, and I record that.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Hmm, depending upon the construction of the scale mechanism there can be some different readings in quick succession. Try to step on it in the exact foot position each time, perhaps near a corner where your balancing motions wont affect the response as much. Scales should also generally be more accurate towards the middle of their published weight range.
    But in general, it is often advised to weigh in no more than once a week, that should smooth out most inconsistencies.
    No it's not. Lots of people weigh in daily and track their weight on a trending app. If you weigh daily you will see that your weight fluctuates and as log as your trend is down then you know that a little up or down is not a problem. I weigh daily and there have been times that it would look like I had not lost or even gained a little one week, but since I weigh daily I know that isn't the case and I can see that I am losing 1.4 pounds per week. If you only weigh in once a week that's fine, but you can do whatever works for you.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My scale gives me a consistent reading
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I shelled out big bucks for the aria scale to link with my fitbit, and I am so happy I did. The way it's designed is meant to be incredibly accurate. It's always the same if I weigh twice in a row. And it's glass on top so my feet make prints and I always use the same placement haha :)

You don't need to pay as much as I did but I would recommend a new scale. Until then I'd use the highest number just to save time. I would hate having to weigh more than once then do math, eww. Especially before coffee. No way!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have often weighed 3 times in a row and I've gotten the same reading each time. I've got a cheapo $20 Target' scale.
    If I was getting different readings I'd be buying a new scale..
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have the aria and usually it gives me the same reading within 100g. I have to move my scales each morning from their hiding place (otherwise kids jump on them) which is why I get small variations, occasionally I get really excited about a low weight only to discover something under the scales. I will generally weigh twice and if they are the same I leave it, if theres a variation I keep weighing until it become consistent but again this is due to the fact I move the scale each day. It takes all my weights if theres one that was way out I'll go into fitbit and delete it but otherwise the last one is usually the right one anyway.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. My scale seems to "remember" my last weight and read that back to me even after an obvious change (like drinking a litre of water). Never buying a weight watchers scale again.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have a good scale with new batteries but like a lot of scales, each time I step on it, it gives me a different reading. Granted, it's usually only within a half a pound to a pound and a half and in the grand scheme of things that doesn't mean much but each little bit maintains my motivation.

I've been using the "step on the scale three times and take the average" method. Just wondering what everyone else does for the official recording of your weight (whether that be daily, weekly or whenever). Do you step on it once and that's the recorded weight, do you take the average, take the lowest?

I think if you get 3 different weights in a couple of minutes there is a problem with your scale.

I step on the scale Sunday morning. I step off and step on a couple more times. The weight reading is the same each time and I record it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I record what I weigh on the hospital-style balance scale at the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem. My scale seems to "remember" my last weight and read that back to me even after an obvious change (like drinking a litre of water). Never buying a weight watchers scale again.

I have a WW scale that does the same thing. I have to stand on it with something heavy, let it register the weight and then get off and let it zero out. Then it will register a different weight when I get back on. I rarely use it and instead use my older scale 99% of the time.