April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Retail therapy took care of my feeling slightly guilty about tomorrow being a rest day..... I'll have some new stuff in time for my Thursday morning run!

@MNLittleFinn :smiley: Gotta have something to look forward to!

And new gear puts the cherry on top of a much-anticipated run!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    No time to catch up at the moment. I didn't end up running this weekend. One of the neighbor's dogs killed our dachshund, Maggie, yesterday morning. I had left her out in our fence with our two big dogs and there was a place under the fence that a recent rain had eroded out. She liked being outside, so, as usual, she was reluctant to come in after i let her out that morning. We went to the store, and it happened while we were gone. I feel horrible, guilty, sad. She was such a sweet little dog...

Hopefully I'll get back on track this week. I drank heavily last night and was in no shape for running today...

@ceciliaslater oh my gosh. I am so sorry for the loss of your Maggie. Don't feel guilty you did nothing wrong. Hugs.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    pthyay wrote: »

exercise.png

Oookay, you guys must find this a little funny, but I'm a beginner dragging a couple of health problems around, so I'm quite happy with my single kilometre. ;) I was going to do more, but my knee started acting up a bit, and I've learned to stop right away when that happens.

sounds smart to me! :)
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    I'm a sprinter, not a long distance runner, so my mile/km goal won't be very high :wink:
    Instead, I want to up my jogging pace from 11.5 kmph (7.15 mph) to 12.1 kmph (7.52 mph), and up my running pace from 13.3 kmph (8.26 mph) to 13.5 kmph (8.39 mph). No set goal for sprinting pace.
    Will probably complete about 35 miles during April, will keep track, currently on 4/35+
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well, I finished the Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K on Saturday. It wasn't nearly as cold and windy as it was last year, but it rained/drizzled a chilly rain for the duration of the race. I PRed the 15K distance by nearly 4 minutes, but it should have been more. My IT band started acting up, and I had to run/walk the last 3ish miles. I've never experienced an IT band/knee issue, before. I swear, it's always something new. Oh, well.

I don't have much on my plan for this week having done the 15K (a long distance for me), and I have an incredibly hilly 5K this upcoming Saturday. Not to mention the IT band whatever is going on. I hope to do one 2-3 mile run on Wednesday or Thursday and that'll be it for running before Saturday.

03/02 9.3 mi
    TOTAL 9.3 mi
    GOAL 45.00 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K – 1:44:22 15K PR
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater - I am so sorry about Maggie. Just awful. But it is not your fault. :heartbreak:
    @Stoshew71 - awesome pictures! Such a great time too!

4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew

Easy run with my Monday morning coffee crew today! Both me and my running buddy who raced with me yesterday thought it would be nice to just go to the 2nd loop at 6:30 so we could snag some extra sleep, so 3 miles today instead of 6. I was surprised that I really wasn't very sore at all; my glutes are feeling the hills, and that's about it. All my calf aches from the last few weeks have mysteriously disappeared.

I think I'm gonna lower my goal for the month from 200 to 180. This week should be about 64 miles, but then I start my ween myself off the high mileage and into a taper. I want to be as rested and fresh as possible for NJM, so if that means cutting miles, I want to be able to do it without worrying about missing out on my 200 target.

Oh, and my blog post about yesterday's race is up! Find it here!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    No time to catch up at the moment. I didn't end up running this weekend. One of the neighbor's dogs killed our dachshund, Maggie, yesterday morning. I had left her out in our fence with our two big dogs and there was a place under the fence that a recent rain had eroded out. She liked being outside, so, as usual, she was reluctant to come in after i let her out that morning. We went to the store, and it happened while we were gone. I feel horrible, guilty, sad. She was such a sweet little dog...

Hopefully I'll get back on track this week. I drank heavily last night and was in no shape for running today...

@ceciliaslater That's so sad! I'm sorry :'(

Well, I finished the Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K on Saturday. It wasn't nearly as cold and windy as it was last year, but it rained/drizzled a chilly rain for the duration of the race. I PRed the 15K distance by nearly 4 minutes, but it should have been more. My IT band started acting up, and I had to run/walk the last 3ish miles. I've never experienced an IT band/knee issue, before. I swear, it's always something new. Oh, well.

I don't have much on my plan for this week having done the 15K (a long distance for me), and I have an incredibly hilly 5K this upcoming Saturday. Not to mention the IT band whatever is going on. I hope to do one 2-3 mile run on Wednesday or Thursday and that'll be it for running before Saturday.

@instantmartian Congrats on the PR! Hope the ITB feels better for Saturday! I've had my share of ITB problems, and sometimes it goes as quick as it comes, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that that's the case for you!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There must be something in the water, because I got motivated to go out again this afternoon!
    I ended up following through on what I said earlier about getting back into C25K. Completed Week 1 Day 1.

This makes my totals as follows:

1) Mon 4 April 3.32km
    2) Mon 4 April 2.98km

counter.png

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    Options

I am so, incredibly sorry to hear that. I would be absolutely heartbroken if anything happened to one of my two fur babies. :cry:
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Finally on the chart with 2.5km... not a big amount for most- but a hard run for me!

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    April

1-no run yet, maybe later
    2-13.2mi
    3-nothing
    4-nothing

exercise.png

• instantmartian
    Options

@instantmartian Congrats on the PR! Hope the ITB feels better for Saturday! I've had my share of ITB problems, and sometimes it goes as quick as it comes, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that that's the case for you!

Thank you! Not even an hour after the race, while walking over to Federal Donuts in Philly (one of my favorite places in the world) for post-race lunch, my IT band randomly felt perfectly normal, again - the discomfort went away just as quickly as it came. I plan on foam rolling it a few times this week despite my absolute hatred for foam rolling, and doing some ITB-specific stretches/exercises, and hopefully Saturday was just a fluke.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Oookay, you guys must find this a little funny, but I'm a beginner dragging a couple of health problems around, so I'm quite happy with my single kilometre. ;) I was going to do more, but my knee started acting up a bit, and I've learned to stop right away when that happens.

Not funny at all. It's very important to stop when you have to avoid re-injury; many of us find that lesson very hard to learn. Good for you! Living to run another day is more important than going over that kilometre.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift nice write up on the race.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wow, 60 posts to catch up on!!

Today was 5 easy miles in the the dark before time began. While it is really peaceful and serene...which I love, I realized that I am not posting running pics to Instagram because...well...no light. This weekends race should have some IG opportunities though. :smile:

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles

24/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Knowing when to rest makes the difference between a runner and an athlete.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Wow, 60 posts to catch up on!!

Today was 5 easy miles in the the dark before time began. While it is really peaceful and serene...which I love, I realized that I am not posting running pics to Instagram because...well...no light. This weekends race should have some IG opportunities though. :smile:

Those morning runs are the reason I have a headlamp on the way. I've been restricting myself to places with streetlights.... no more of that starting with my Thursday run!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Back in the saddle!

Did my W8D2 yesterday. 30 minutes straight, 2.75 miles non-stop running. One more session tomorrow and then I graduate from the C25K! Time to find a race somewhere...!

exercise.png