09/04 4 miles
    11/04 4 miles
    13/04 4 miles
    14/04 5miles
    16/04 4miles
    19/04 6.25 miles
    20/04 4miles

exercise.png

@5BeautifulDays - yours posts make me laugh (in a good way!)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Random thought of the afternoon. Thinking about starting a separate discussion to log/journal my training for my first HM. With Training starting next Tuesday
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I keep notes in my Garmin activities for each run, as well as a paper log. I find it useful to have more extensive personal notes that have more info than I think is necessary to share on a public forum; I doubt everyone cares about what I wore and when I ate gels :D And a paper log is nice to flip through to reflect on training.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I keep notes in my Garmin activities for each run, as well as a paper log. I find it useful to have more extensive personal notes that have more info than I think is necessary to share on a public forum; I doubt everyone cares about what I wore and when I ate gels :D And a paper log is nice to flip through to reflect on training.

Yeah, I note everything in Garmin too. Thinking about starting a paper log too...something nice about writing.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Only did 3 miles today. Set out without a real distance goal and was having trouble getting into a groove. Decided last minute to just do some hill repeats on a fairly steep but short hill--not ideal, but better than just heading back to the office.

I'm thinking I may need to take some time off again. I'm now having pain in my right leg (opposite from my normal gimpy leg). It feels reminiscent of the stress fracture I had back in February, again in the fibula area--just on the other leg. Hurts less when I run, but is painful to the touch and hurts when walking, particularly at the back of the stride. I may mention it when I go back to my ortho on May 5th, if it's not better by then. Though I hate to seem like a whiner--always coming up with a new problem: first it was the stress fracture in my left leg. Once that was fixed, I was still complaining of ankle pain and was diagnosed with os trigonum. I mean...I know there are legit things wrong with me--I'm not just some hypochondriac--but I feel a little ridiculous with all these pain complaints.

Tomorrow is a spin day, so that will give the lower leg some rest. We'll see how I feel on Friday and decide for sure then if I'm going to run or not. Guessing the answer will be not. I'd rather go ahead and take time off now than have to get put in a boot again.

I'm at 31.2 miles for the month (so, definitely not like I've been boosting mileage or intensity significantly).

PS- Speaking of the os trigonum thing: I called the ortho because the medication he put me on didn't seem to be helping. They suggested I double the dose and try that for a week. So far, all the higher dose has done is make me sleepy, nauseated, and a little dizzy. Not to mention the 15 POUNDS I've gained since I started taking the drug a little over 2 weeks ago. Guess I'll go ahead and finish out the week, as they requested, but, even if the double dose helps my symptoms, I don't think it's going to be an acceptable long term solution for me.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I totally get it @ceciliaslater! That medicine sounds evil too.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp I watched the race off and on as the elite men started, I forgot the elite women started earlier. The initial reports, as I remember it, they were saying it was ideal race conditions with temps in the mid-upper 60's, expected highs in the low 70's with a mild breeze. I thought that was a bit warm even for me running a much shorter distance. But, figured maybe humidity was different than what I'm familiar with.

They compared the temps to the L.A Olympic qualifying full. Again, how it was so much better.

It was only once the elites and other athletes begain to drop and lag times were noted from last year or their qualifying races, that the claim of warm temps were hindering the best performances. One elite female droped at the 5 mile mark. The temp was 72 the first time I heard mention of it being warm. The elite men couldn't have been too far out, maybe the last 3-5 miles.

I have one other aquaintance that ran it. Hes fast and young, 28 ish. 6:45-7:00 pace ultras. He finished 3:18-3:23. And he set his Strava run on private (or deleted it). I commented on it, congratulated him. Idk what happened. He wasn't ready/willing to share the details. Probably processing it all.

Seem it was a challenge this year. I believe you were well trained, but then I see all the miles and discipline you share. I've yet to see anyone claim that they had a beast of a run. I'm sure recounts from the elites will be shared soon, if they haven't already.

My dentist ran it too, but I won't see him for a few months. But if I "run" in to him, I'll inquire. He's run it many times.

Thank you for this report. That makes some sense of what I experienced. In real time, I didn't notice it being hot or humid. Afterward, people told me there were lots of problems with heat. *shrug* Since yesterday, I've learned that two marathon runners I know ended up in the medical tent and hospital with problems that appear to be partially weather related. And these are people with more marathon experience than I have.

But I didn't know any of that when I crossed the finish line. I only knew how I felt and how I did compared to my goals.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Decided last night I'm bowing out for April. After Monday's easy run, my knee flared up again and I developed a stabbing pain in my rear (sit bone area). So at least 12 days off and I'll see if I can start up again in May. Right now I'm sick of pain and it's starting to interfere with the rest of my life :smiley: Maybe I can get this under control and keep moving forward without a huge break from running like the 8 weeks I had to take last Nov/Dec.

One of the hardest things for most runners to learn is when to take time off. Hope you caught this soon enough to keep the couch time brief.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Due to a miscommunication about whether or not the kids had school this morning I did not get my morning run in. So I fit in a lunch time 4 mile run.:

Strava is giving me too much info. I wondered by your run's title of "Lunch Run" why you weren't dodging spiders and vampires and cougars in the dark. :smiley:

I'm trying to figure out how you do or don't know your kids have school :smiley:
    Well, my wife mentioned last week when they had Friday off of school that she was sure they were off on Tuesday as well, but I had not heard anything. So she looked at the school calendar online and it showed it as an off day. Turns out she later learned that they removed that off day on Tuesday and shortened the school year by a day but did not update the online calendar. She says she told me so I should have known (that has been known to happen), but I went ahead and shut off my alarms for Tuesday morning so I could sleep in until late like 5am or maybe even go crazy and sleep in until 6am, whenever I finally woke up basically. Then my 16 year old son woke me at 6:04 saying we were running late. When I reminded him there was no school both he and my wife let me know I was crazy and they did indeed have school. :confounded:

LOL @whatmerunning sounds like my house
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp It's been awesome reading your updates on training for Boston, and your very honest assessments of how you feel you did at the race and recovering. It's funny to say, but your running Boston and all you wrote about it, are why I moved up my plan to run my first HM by 2 months. Not in your league, but taking my first steps into LD racing.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for April
    4/1 REST DAY
    4/2 14.3 miles - 14.3 <<< 13.1 HM + 1.2 warmup
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 4.2 miles - 18.5 << will try and get a second lunch time run in
    4/4 4.0 miles - 22.5 << daily double, 3E +1HMP
    4/5 8 miles - 30.5
    4/6 4.2 miles - 34.7 << easy recovery 4 (taper week)
    4/7 6 miles - 40.7
    4/8 5 miles - 45.7
    4/9 3.3 miles - 49
    4/10 14.2 miles - 63.2 << 13.1 + 1.1 w/u
    4/11 6.2 miles - 69.4
    4/12 9 miles - 78.4
    4/12 6.2 miles - 84.6 << daily double
    4/13 6.2 miles - 90.8
    4/14 9.6 miles - 100.4
    4/14 6.2 miles - 106.6 << daily double
    4/15 6.2 miles - 112.8 << recovery run
    4/16 16 miles - 128.8 << LSD run with a fast finish
    4/17 REST DAY
    4/18 10.5 miles 139.3
    4/19 8 miles 147.3 << Tempo pace for a few miles
    4/19 6.2 miles 153.5 << daily double
    4/20 6.2 miles - 159.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    rest day today - back at it tomorrow. that's enough rest. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp I watched the race off and on as the elite men started, I forgot the elite women started earlier. The initial reports, as I remember it, they were saying it was ideal race conditions with temps in the mid-upper 60's, expected highs in the low 70's with a mild breeze. I thought that was a bit warm even for me running a much shorter distance. But, figured maybe humidity was different than what I'm familiar with.

They compared the temps to the L.A Olympic qualifying full. Again, how it was so much better.

It was only once the elites and other athletes begain to drop and lag times were noted from last year or their qualifying races, that the claim of warm temps were hindering the best performances. One elite female droped at the 5 mile mark. The temp was 72 the first time I heard mention of it being warm. The elite men couldn't have been too far out, maybe the last 3-5 miles.

I have one other aquaintance that ran it. Hes fast and young, 28 ish. 6:45-7:00 pace ultras. He finished 3:18-3:23. And he set his Strava run on private (or deleted it). I commented on it, congratulated him. Idk what happened. He wasn't ready/willing to share the details. Probably processing it all.

Seem it was a challenge this year. I believe you were well trained, but then I see all the miles and discipline you share. I've yet to see anyone claim that they had a beast of a run. I'm sure recounts from the elites will be shared soon, if they haven't already.

My dentist ran it too, but I won't see him for a few months. But if I "run" in to him, I'll inquire. He's run it many times.

Thank you for this report. That makes some sense of what I experienced. In real time, I didn't notice it being hot or humid. Afterward, people told me there were lots of problems with heat. *shrug* Since yesterday, I've learned that two marathon runners I know ended up in the medical tent and hospital with problems that appear to be partially weather related. And these are people with more marathon experience than I have.

But I didn't know any of that when I crossed the finish line. I only knew how I felt and how I did compared to my goals.

Your welcome. RW had a bit covering Hayle's win. It mentioned that the odd temperature change were the cause of so many muscle cramps.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Got a pleasant surprise when checking out my race number for the Pittsburgh marathon and discovered I was assigned bib #666. I think the costume pretty much takes care of itself, as I ordered my usual race shoe model in bright red in my size, along with some red dri fit shorts, a red dri fit shirt, some flashing LED devil horn ears, and a tail I can attach to my fuel belt. Not sure I'll be able to grow a goatee in time, but I'll see what can do on that front.

That's so awesome! Glad you're not spooked by it.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Cool costume to match the bib number! Maybe you can glue on a face goatee to complete it ;)

@ceciliaslater Oh no, even more pain, that's really horrible. And the medicine doesn't sound very helpful either. I hope some rest and maybe a different medication will fix things!

@greenolivetree Sorry to read about your problems as well. Rest sounds like a good idea, hope all will be better again in May!

A collection of some nice race signs: http://runhaven.com/2015/02/02/favorite-marathon-signs-part-3/
    I like #16, #20 and #38 - but my absolute favourite is #28 B)

Maybe I could have needed some race signs to speed me up today. I ran some zombie chases with the Zombies Run app (my preferred form of interval training), and I got caught twice! I was so sure I was running fast enough - I sped much much more than usual for the last one, after they hordes had caughted me once, but the zoms were freakishly fast tonight. After a streak of at least 60 successful chases in a row since the beginning of the year, that's really bugging me, probably more than it should. But then again, that evil app wouldn't be nearly as motivating if I didn't take it serious - next when it's time for interval training, these zoms are going to eat dust! >:)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Ohhim Cool costume to match the bib number! Maybe you can glue on a face goatee to complete it ;)

@ceciliaslater Oh no, even more pain, that's really horrible. And the medicine doesn't sound very helpful either. I hope some rest and maybe a different medication will fix things!

@greenolivetree Sorry to read about your problems as well. Rest sounds like a good idea, hope all will be better again in May!

A collection of some nice race signs: http://runhaven.com/2015/02/02/favorite-marathon-signs-part-3/
    I like #16, #20 and #38 - but my absolute favourite is #28 B)

Maybe I could have needed some race signs to speed me up today. I ran some zombie chases with the Zombies Run app (my preferred form of interval training), and I got caught twice! I was so sure I was running fast enough - I sped much much more than usual for the last one, after they hordes had caughted me once, but the zoms were freakishly fast tonight. After a streak of at least 60 successful chases in a row since the beginning of the year, that's really bugging me, probably more than it should. But then again, that evil app wouldn't be nearly as motivating if I didn't take it serious - next when it's time for interval training, these zoms are going to eat dust! >:)

Haha! Wow! Sounds crazy fun. Maybe the app just decided that you were due motivation.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp It's been awesome reading your updates on training for Boston, and your very honest assessments of how you feel you did at the race and recovering. It's funny to say, but your running Boston and all you wrote about it, are why I moved up my plan to run my first HM by 2 months. Not in your league, but taking my first steps into LD racing.

FYI, long distance is anything over 5 km, according to wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_running