Discrepancies in calculating TDEE based on exercise level

Options
ForecasterJason
ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
It seems to me that there are different multipliers proposed for calculating TDEE from BMR X the activity level. Compare this and this. That's a difference of 1.2 vs 1.4 for a sedentary lifestyle, and there are differences for other activity levels.

I have to wonder, which is generally more accurate? For me, I think that my TDEE is more in line with what's listed from ivyroses. But that's if I use the Katch-Mcardle formula for calculating BMR. If I use the Mifflin-Stjeor calculator, I end up with a higher BMR, which would bring the two TDEE calculations closer if I use that in combination with the lower activity factor.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it is trial and error....find the number that works for you and eat to that number...

calculators are just estimates, you need to use trial and error to find your try gain/cut/maintain levels...
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, dieting implies diet manipulation based on results. Start at x1.4 and adjust after 3 weeks according to what the scale says.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use this formula myself...it has proved accurate. But you have to track intake with accuracy for at least 21 days.

total calories consumed+(lbs lostx3500)/21 (or number of days tracked)