Local Restaurant Menus with Nutrition Information

Options
With more and more local restaurants looking into going for healthier and organic foods, AND posting their menus on their website, wouldn't it be great if we can use our zip codes and get linked to our "local" restaurants in MyFitnessPal? I tend to eat out a lot in local restaurant, and I always wish I could just select what I plan to eat that day straight from these restaurant sites and download those nutritional info that way. Most times I have to get a recipe online and use that to create a not so accurate information and use that, and its so time consuming.

Anyone out there know if there IS a way in MFP that I'm not seeing, or do you have a similar wish as well?

I am not sure how soon the law will be enforced for all restaurants to post nutritional info on their menus, but I think its getting there for the fast food chains. Would love to chat about this.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Most people cook?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    They've been rolling this feature out for months. Most, if not all, iOS users should have it now. I'm not sure if they've started introducing it for Android yet. But they still have to make their information available to MFP.
  • suja0609
    suja0609 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :) yes Laz.. I cook a LOT too! I love foooood and my friends, and twice a week at least I love going out to dinner with my friends. I totally binge! Then I get guilty, then I try to log the stuff here and I get MORE guilty and discouraged. Lol. I'm hoping to get into a habit to plan AHEAD of time what I will order and log that and STICK to that.
  • suja0609
    Options
    Malibu.. I have used the feature in MFP before but those are usually from chain restaurants, not the local ones. But will check it out, just in case. Thanks!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    suja0609 wrote: »
    Malibu.. I have used the feature in MFP before but those are usually from chain restaurants, not the local ones. But will check it out, just in case. Thanks!

Local are found on there too. Last time I ordered a cheesesteak salad from our local sub place, I was able to log it. But like I said, you would have to let MFP know you'd like the information to that specific restaurant and they can contact them.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    They have started rolling this out for Android. I just got it a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't have nutrition info for everything but it's a good start, and they have an option to request a menu so MFP will contact a restaurant to try to get the menu and notify you when the info is updated.
  • suja0609
    Options
    AWESOME... thanks Malibu and Stacy. I will contact MFP with my list :).
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    Options
    I definitely love that many restaurants now show nutritional info on their menus. I was just out yesterday needing to stop somewhere for food, and really wishing there was some tool I could use to do a city-wide search for a low-cal meal. It would have been so great to just put in my city, and be given a list of options from various restaurants to choose from based on calories.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    jkhoffe wrote: »
    How and where do you contract MFP with a suggestion list?? would LOVE to add some of my local favs!

When I am looking for a restaurant I click the location icon and it will bring up a list of local restaurants. From that list you can see the ones that MFP has the menu for and for those that don't they give you an option to request the menu. I don't think it's a quick process but again, it's a start.