Need some help and advice.

Options
Need some help and advice.
Hi Everyone, I'm 20 years old from the Uk, I've been going to the gym now for over a year.
I was around 16 stone now at around 12 but with a good muscle mass, as I'm trying to get a good aesthetic physique.
Now my fitness and gym life is a very big part of me I've started to track my macros and hit my protein carbs and fats intake.
Because I'm still a "young man" I live at home, but just recently I pulled out the scales to weigh my chicken so I can hit my protein intake for the day, my dad finds out I'm using scales and freaks out, thinking I'm on the track to anorexia or something and said he draws the line here and I'm not weighing my food.

What an earth can I say to him so I can start tracking my macros again, thanks guys.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    "MUH gainz, Dad."
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My parents had a similar reaction when I was seriously losing. I ended up using one and two cup bowls instead of scales to measure solid stuff and then got good enough to eyeball what a serving looked like. I know it isn't perfect, but I lost about 40 pounds (about three stone) in a year and a half so I must have been doing something right.

Make sure you make as good of an estimate that you can and then look it up in MFP and pick the one with the most calories. It's always better to go over then under. If you find you're losing more weight then you should, just eat a little bit more a day. No calculator is going to be perfect.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Did you tell him that your an adult and can weigh your food if you wish to?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Direct him to MFP forums so he can see that it's not only normal, but recommended.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    First, realize it's (probably) coming from a place of love and concern. Then, explain that you've been doing this for a long time and it's part of the healthy lifestyle you're trying to live. Show him some articles, bring up the progress you e made, and reassure him (as many times as necessary) you're striving for a healthy lifestyle.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You might want to elaborate. Tell him you're making sure you're trying to eat more protein, not less. It might help, it might not. People are weird about the weighing.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    let him see your diary.