Can I Eat Back Some Calories Burned Exercising Without Worry?

Options
I'm trying to stick back to my noal 1200 calorie a day diet after Easter. I'm back at the weight I was at before Easter though, 120 lbs. Today my workout was oddly difficult. I normally run 30 mins at 6 miles per hour, however it was strangely very difficult today. My workout all in all burned about 350 calories. However for some reason I am still very hungry. Although some people do eat back their excercise calories, other people argue against it. But would eating back some, not all, be okay in the long run? As in not hurt my weight loss goals?

TLDR; Will eating back some of my exercise calories hurt my weight loss goals or would it be okay?
Thank you.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back exercise calories. If your goal comes from MFP -- and especially if you are at the lowest calorie intake for a woman (1,200), you are supposed to be eating back at least some of them. The trick is not eating back an over-estimated number.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's fine.

MFP is designed to give you a deficit to lose weight even if you don't exercise so it's an added bonus when you do.

I always eat mine back and it hasn't hurt my weight loss.

Some say 50-75% of MFP exercise calories which could be a good plan if you are worried.

Then if you are losing to fast up it to a bigger %
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ideally you're supposed to eat them back, but eating some is safer than eating them all because calories burned tend to be overestimated.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    Mfp is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. You should always eat back at least 50% if you are set at 1200 calories per day. Most people don't eat them all back because they aren't sure how accurate their exercise calories burned estimate is. But you definitely burned some calories and if you are hungry and too tired for the workout then you definitely need to eat more.