Intermittent Fasting. Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've done 5:2 off and on for a long time. It works pretty well for me, but it's not for everyone.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    For me? No. For others? Sure, if you enjoy it.

I get up at 4 in the morning to lift, so I'm not going to go until noon or later before eating. If I start my window at 6:30 when I usually eat my post-workout meal, that means I'd have to stop eating early- to mid-afternoon, meaning I'd go home from work and have no dinner (or dessert, which is more important) waiting for me. Which means my lifting session the following morning would not only be fasted but super duper fasted. No thanks. I start eating at 6:30 in the morning and don't stop until around 8:00 at night. And I'll continue to do so.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    excuse my ignorance, I have heard IF bandied about and I am going to look into the 'beginners guide' someone posted(thank you for posting that BTW) but from what I understand I have been doing it for years without even knowing this was a thing. I eat lunch between 11-12 and dinner from 6-7 with a small snack in between. I have literally been doing this everyday for years mostly because I don't get hungry until around 11. Eating breakfast or something too early makes my tummy flip. Maybe I am just an odd ball, lol.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    12by311 wrote: »
    Not really fasting then is it?

lol.

Maybe you are confused? You've been on here since 2013 have made 2,518 posts but don't know what IF is?

Here's a beginner's guide to IF from nerd fitness, JIC you are interested:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Not interested. Sorry. Just because I have made a load of posts, it doesnt mean I should know about this.

Then you probably shouldn't make uninformed comments on something you know very little about, if at all.

For others in this thread who may possibly get confused when reading eldamiano's inaccurate comments:

IF has nothing to do with starving oneself. The 5:2 method where people eat 500 calories two days a week is extreme and not something I personally do. The IF I know of and love is the one where you have a daily eating window and that's it. You eat the same amount of calories you normally would, except you eat them within an 8 to 10 hour window of your day. Some people go extreme and do a 4 hour eating window, but the recommended fast/feed split is 16/8 for men and 14/10 for women.

IF doesn't work well for everyone. I notice that if I eat several small meals throughout the day, I always feel hungry and my energy levels are off. I eat 2400 to 3000 calories per day right now, but I feel better when I eat three meals instead of several small ones. Some people thrive on several small meals. Some women's hormones go out of whack when trying to adopt IF. Everyone will have a different experience.

IF is not magic; if you're not eating at a deficit while adopting IF you will not lose weight. Do not force yourself to adopt IF if it's not natural for you. Many of us who do IF already had a similar natural eating pattern. Others switched after realizing they don't like several small meals and never functioned well eating that way. Again, your experience may vary.

So you are allowed to eat for a third of the day, where as a third of the day you sleep. Not really fasting then is it....

At this point, I'm going to hope that your ineptitude on the subject is an April Fools' Joke, because if not, then yikes..

Intermittent: Occurring at irregular intervals; not continuous or steady.
    Fasting: Primarily a movement of willing abstinence or reduction from certain or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.

Hence why it is called Intermittent Fasting. It is abstaining from food for irregular intervals of time. If it were simply fasting, there would be no need to put intermittent in front of the word.

So not really intermittent or fasting then... I might wait until I get home to have dinner instead of having a snack now. In fact, that's what I do almost every day. And generally, I dont have anything to eat between the hours of 8pm to 7.30am.

Doesnt mean I am fasting.

But that's probably how it was sold by all the people who were trying to make money of others.....
  • jpoutney
    jpoutney Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting! When I think about it, I started eating according to the "Zero Belly Diet" recently and, without realizing it, I was fasting for 12 hours (6-6). I'm willing to try and do my morning workout before I eat (the author actually uses that as part of his 7-day cleanse). Have to admit, I've been telling my kids the importance of breakfast for so long, not sure what to tell them if they notice me not having it?!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

lol.

Maybe you are confused? You've been on here since 2013 have made 2,518 posts but don't know what IF is?

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Not interested. Sorry. Just because I have made a load of posts, it doesnt mean I should know about this.

Then you probably shouldn't make uninformed comments on something you know very little about, if at all.

For others in this thread who may possibly get confused when reading eldamiano's inaccurate comments:

IF has nothing to do with starving oneself. The 5:2 method where people eat 500 calories two days a week is extreme and not something I personally do. The IF I know of and love is the one where you have a daily eating window and that's it. You eat the same amount of calories you normally would, except you eat them within an 8 to 10 hour window of your day. Some people go extreme and do a 4 hour eating window, but the recommended fast/feed split is 16/8 for men and 14/10 for women.

IF doesn't work well for everyone. I notice that if I eat several small meals throughout the day, I always feel hungry and my energy levels are off. I eat 2400 to 3000 calories per day right now, but I feel better when I eat three meals instead of several small ones. Some people thrive on several small meals. Some women's hormones go out of whack when trying to adopt IF. Everyone will have a different experience.

IF is not magic; if you're not eating at a deficit while adopting IF you will not lose weight. Do not force yourself to adopt IF if it's not natural for you. Many of us who do IF already had a similar natural eating pattern. Others switched after realizing they don't like several small meals and never functioned well eating that way. Again, your experience may vary.

So you are allowed to eat for a third of the day, where as a third of the day you sleep. Not really fasting then is it....

At this point, I'm going to hope that your ineptitude on the subject is an April Fools' Joke, because if not, then yikes..

Fasting: Primarily a movement of willing abstinence or reduction from certain or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.

Hence why it is called Intermittent Fasting. It is abstaining from food for irregular intervals of time. If it were simply fasting, there would be no need to put intermittent in front of the word.

So not really intermittent or fasting then... I might wait until I get home to have dinner instead of having a snack now. In fact, that's what I do almost every day. And generally, I dont have anything to eat between the hours of 8pm to 7.30am.

But that's probably how it was sold by all the people who were trying to make money of others.....

Actually, it is intermittent and it is fasting; you cannot comprehend this for some reason.

Also, how does someone profit from people choosing different eating windows? There are some books on IF, but those can be read in a bookstore, library, or not read at all because there is tons of info about IF on the internet. Yes, people can make some money off of website visits, but reading about IF doesn't cost people money. I have, and I'm sure many others can say the same, never spent any money with specific regard to IF. I spend money on the food I have to eat but that would happen regardless of when I eat.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I did really well on IF. I did a loose window of 11:00-7:00ish or 8:00. Sometimes starting later/ending later. I haven't done it in awhile but I may go back to it b/c I think it may help me stay within range better. I HAVE to eat before I go to bed or I can't sleep. IF worked well for me that way. Glad to see this bumped. I may have to try IF again for awhile.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

lol.

So you are being a troll! If you aren't eating you are fasting whether on purpose or not. Eating for a set period of time just helps some Ppl stay in their cals.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

lol.

Actually buddy you are fasting. Ever thought why it is called break-fast? Light bulb going off yet?
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

lol.

Actually, it is intermittent and it is fasting; you cannot comprehend this for some reason.

Also, how does someone profit from people choosing different eating windows? There are some books on IF, but those can be read in a bookstore, library, or not read at all because there is tons of info about IF on the internet. Yes, people can make some money off of website visits, but reading about IF doesn't cost people money. I have, and I'm sure many others can say the same, never spent any money with specific regard to IF. I spend money on the food I have to eat but that would happen regardless of when I eat.

Yep, the two books I've read about IF I borrowed from the library :) There's also a BBC documentary 'East, Fast and Live Longer' by Dr. Michael Mosley that's really interesting and can be found online for free.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I tried it. Wasn't for me.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

These are opinions. These guys would be just as ripped without IF if they adhered to a calorie goal. IF is not magic and has no power to do miraculous things.

OK bro. No one ever said it is the only way to do things, it is a popular method of dieting is all. I don't think I mentioned magic. I gave links to free resources because people were saying it costs money.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

lol.

Feeling argumentative today?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think I do it right. I have a coffee in the morning with protein powder and then eat between 1 and 10 pm. If that's IF then I do it IF. It can be a little painful.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Cant see the appeal of starving myself....

I use IF.

Do you think me eating almost 1700 cals a day is starving myself?

I don't think IF means what you think it means
  • khopkins516
    khopkins516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started doing IF a few years back, also before I knew it was a "thing". I too have difficulty eating early in the morning. Aside from the occasional weekend brunch, breakfast just doesn't appeal to me.
    I generally eat my first meal around 11:30 or 12 and my second meal around 8 pm, with a snack or two sprinkled in between.
    It works well for me but I can see why it wouldn't work for everyone. Personal preference!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Break........fast...............break.......fast.....break.fast. Breakfast. ;)