Treadmill workout.

Options
pbee89
pbee89 Posts: 83 Member
I usually do intervals on the treadmill 2 mins running and 2mins walking. I hate running. I've decided to do a powerwalking workout which Keeps my heartbeat within the zones it should be on an incline of 7.5 and speed 4.5.

Will this be as effective as running for weight loss ?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    In my opinion walking briskly at steep inclines is just as effective as running as that's what I've always done. I can't run or jog at all, no matter how badly I wanted to become a runner at one point. So, I did exactly what you said: intervals on the treadmill with steep inclines, varying the speed. As long as you are pushing yourself and progressing that's all that matters.
  • pbee89
    Options
    I do constant powerwalking on an incline my heart rate stays up and I sweat the whole time. As opposed to my heart rate going back down whilst I'm not running.

Did you lose weight this way ?
  • mobogogo
    mobogogo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I would stick to running but jog lightly in the intervals... I do it on a track, the long way i keep a moderate jog and the short way i sprint x3, i feel running at a really fast pace for short periods trains your heart to withstand more strain (ie more exercise)

Thats just my opinion,
    And the faster you run the less time you train and im all about that easy life!! :)
  • pbee89
    Options
    Haha. I hear you. But I'm terrible at runnin. No way I could run and then lightly jog as my 'rest' lol I would die
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    pbee89 wrote: »
    I usually do intervals on the treadmill 2 mins running and 2mins walking. I hate running. I've decided to do a powerwalking workout which Keeps my heartbeat within the zones it should be on an incline of 7.5 and speed 4.5.

Will this be as effective as running for weight loss ?

The key point about weight loss is being in calorie deficit, it doesn't matter if it's walking or running, in the grand scheme of things.

Realistically that becomes about distance covered, heart rate really isn't important. So if you're covering more distance then you burn more calories, if you don't, then you're burning fewer calories.

That said, the only thing I can think of more boring than running on a dreadmill is walking on one. Personally I run in the real world.

The only way to improve your running, is to run...
  • pbee89
    Options
    I find running for real sooo much harder than treadmill lol
  • pbee89
    Options
    I think heart rate is important because you lose more calories that way. You could do a mile in a slow walk in two hours or sprint in 10 mins the distance don't really matter. To me anyway
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I think heart rate is important because you lose more calories that way. You could do a mile in a slow walk in two hours or sprint in 10 mins the distance don't really matter. To me anyway

Broadly running burns twice the calories of walking, so if you're focussing on walking then you're already half as efficient. But elevating does help increase that, as you're adding vertical movement as well as horizontal. Essentially if you haven't got the endurance to run, then you need to work on improving your endurance.

The main risk around using a dreadmill on an incline is that it increases load on your calves without a compansating load on the shin muscle.
  • pbee89
    Options
    Powerwalking, not leisurely walking. I make sure I'm almost always out of breath during my work out
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Powerwalking, not leisurely walking. I make sure I'm almost always out of breath during my work out

The MET value for walking at 4mph is half that for running at 5mph.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You hate running but actively pay (I assume) to use a machine which simulates running when there is a free road?
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Treadmill walking is for me!

I'm not particularly fond of running or jogging as I'm still somewhat heavy and factoring in my age too, I don't think it's very good for my knee joints. Plus being prone to shin splints is the final say in that it isn't my thing. :)

However I love a good strong walk, either out in the great outdoors making sure I select a route that will challenge me as well.
    On a treadmill I work up to at least 4.0mph (6.5kph) as I have quite short legs ( :D ) and use your arms, that is all part of the exercise. For me an incline of around +/- 5% will get me a little breathless but can still talk.
    Occassionally ramp up the incline but don't hold on to the rails or console! You are selling yourself short in the calorific burn department by doing that, I decrease speed if necessary.
    I have to add here that those I have seen on 15% incline are generally holding on for dear life onto the treadmill console with their body leaning back to an alarming degree. This is cheating as you are effectively just pulling yourself uphill!

As for losing weight? Well indirectly, yes. That really depends on your CICO at the end of the day. ;)
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options

It is. I'm always slower running on the road. It's a combination of you having to actually propel your body forward. You're forced to push off more to move you forward whereas on the treadmill it always feels more like I'm just picking my legs up. That and wind, elevation changes etc. I use a combination of both treadmill and road.. mostly because I hate running in crap weather, especially wind and springtime in Michigan is windy/rainy/snowy. Do what works for you now. Walking still burns calories and it sounds like you're getting your heartrate up which has several health benefits. You don't have to be a runner if you don't want to.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    For some reason, MFP won't allow me to quote again today :D
    I totally hear you on the running outside problem; I've tried for a few years in a row to run outside, and it doesn't go well; every time, I'm unable to walk for days later thanx to DOMS. The treadmill, a completely different story! I do my treadmill workouts in sessions throughout the day, as that is what fits my work/home schedule best. I try for 60 mins total: usually about 20-30 minutes each time, and like you, I do HIIT...High Intensity Interval Training....walk/jog.....run/walk....whatever my body is able to do that day I do...sometimes I'll walk the whole time. As someone said above, if you're covering the distance, and moving those legs and arms, you are burning the calories, whether it's all in one session, or throughout the day. I've lost over 80 lbs doing this, cutting out foods I'm allergic to, and combined with CICO.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »

It is. I'm always slower running on the road. It's a combination of you having to actually propel your body forward. You're forced to push off more to move you forward whereas on the treadmill it always feels more like I'm just picking my legs up. That and wind, elevation changes etc. I use a combination of both treadmill and road.. mostly because I hate running in crap weather, especially wind and springtime in Michigan is windy/rainy/snowy. Do what works for you now. Walking still burns calories and it sounds like you're getting your heartrate up which has several health benefits. You don't have to be a runner if you don't want to.

This is because the treadmill is pretend running...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    LOL...I'm pretending to run when I'm on my treadmill? Tell my legs and butt that....
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When it comes to walking and running, you burn more calories by covering more distance. Or by carrying more weight. Incline helps too. You can walk 1 mile and be out of breath. Then your imaginary twin sister who is the same weight but is in better shape, walks with you and it feels easy enough for her to keep singing for the entire mile, while you feel you are dying. You have burnt practically the same calories.
    But most important, you burn more calories by choosing some physical activity that you will actually do :) So, if you like walking, walk. If you like running, run. And so on.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't like to run either but I will run/jog mostly on the treadmill and alternate that with the steep incline of 8-10 and walking. I burn the calories faster by running so that's the only reason I try to get some in there when on the treadmill.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    LOL...I'm pretending to run when I'm on my treadmill? Tell my legs and butt that....

Tell your legs and butt that the treadmill is doing half of the work. If you go outside and run, you dont have a conveyor belt pushing your legs back for you.
  • pbee89
    Options
    @eldamiano shut up please. Your comments are irrelevant and boring.

Everyone else.

Yh I don't dread going to the gym now I'm powerwalking. I definitely don't hold on because it is cheating. Even when I'm super tired haha I'll do it for now and see how it goes :)