"The End of Dieting" - and Toxic Hunger

Options
I just finished reading "The End of Dieting" by Joel Fuhrman.
and I'm really confused about Toxic Hunger. Whoever has read this, can you please explain to me the difference between "Toxic hunger" and hunger? If you can describe the difference as you've experienced it.....I'm pretty sure I'm hungry right now, don't know if it's real hunger according to his definition??
THanks! :)

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need to know is that Joel Fuhrman is a regular on Dr. Oz, so anything he says is most likely utter crap.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's a BS term made up to scare people into following his plan.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Toxic Hunger? WTF?
    brb....Googling
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Toxic Hunger? WTF?
    brb....Googling

It's truly ridiculous.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    The only thing you need to know is that Joel Fuhrman is a regular on Dr. Oz, so anything he says is most likely utter crap.

And a world-class figure skater, according to his bio.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just read his stupid blog and I can actually feel my intelligence being sucked out through my eyeballs.
    Toxic hunger is the group of symptoms a person experiences as our body mobilizes toxic wastes for elimination.

When our diet is low in nutrients, we build up intra-cellular waste products. So when digestion stops, our body goes through a period of “cleaning.” Meaning our tissues release toxic substances into circulation for removal. Our cells can harbor toxic products that will eventually make us sick.

These uncomfortable “detox symptoms” occur after a meal is digested and the digestive track is empty. We start to feel shaky, head-achy, weak, get abdominal cramps or spasms, which we believe are hunger symptoms because they are relieved by eating.

What a load of toxic BS.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    It is, as people said, a term meant to scare people into using his program. He is yet another "woo" peddler.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I just read his stupid blog and I can actually feel my intelligence being sucked out through my eyeballs.
    Toxic hunger is the group of symptoms a person experiences as our body mobilizes toxic wastes for elimination.

When our diet is low in nutrients, we build up intra-cellular waste products. So when digestion stops, our body goes through a period of “cleaning.” Meaning our tissues release toxic substances into circulation for removal. Our cells can harbor toxic products that will eventually make us sick.

These uncomfortable “detox symptoms” occur after a meal is digested and the digestive track is empty. We start to feel shaky, head-achy, weak, get abdominal cramps or spasms, which we believe are hunger symptoms because they are relieved by eating.

What a load of toxic BS.

Yep, and yet I can think of a few people IRL that I know would believe this. Guess they aren't the only ones.

Problem is there is so much bad and untrue information out there it's hard to know what to believe, particularly when you're still in the mode of looking for a "magic pill" or quick fix.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just assume that if someone is trying to separate me from my money, that it's a scam (other than the gym and my grocer).
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a fan of Fuhrman. He lives in a world separate from science.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Pretty much this.

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Toxic hunger, sounds like a bad guy on Aqua Teen hunger force. kwskn73jxmln.jpg
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Eat as clean as possible - fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, whole grains. He refers to the processed foods as being the toxic - high calorie, low nutritional value. If you are hungry - eat! Just make smart choices.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I recognize much of that woo from research into water fasting. Is he recommending extended fasts, as well?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Eat as clean as possible - fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, whole grains. He refers to the processed foods as being the toxic - high calorie, low nutritional value. If you are hungry - eat! Just make smart choices.

Some ( not all) processed foods may be high calorie, low nutrition but, no, they are not toxic.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The only people who can use the word 'toxic' and still get taken seriously by me are those folks that get called if the rugrat ate or drank something that definitely isn't a grocery item.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Toxic hunger is when you are radioactive. Hunger is when you are hungry....
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    toxic hunger where i come from are munchies... get baked - get toxic hunger!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can eat and eat and eat and get all the calories you need (and gain lots of weight) and still be hungry if you don't get enough of all the nutrients you need. You can also experience cravings for junk even though you are eating properly. This is the general idea, and it's valid. But the term is not good in combination with all the mumbo jumbo and fearmongering. Don't listen to that. (Don't take the joking about it too seriously either.) Just eat a well-rounded diet, appropriately portioned to your needs, and don't worry so much.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What a load of toxic BS.

That sounds like toxic logic...