Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the video, no way to know. Not the same as comparing it to running, especially those with good form. The more proficient a runner becomes, the better the body gets at preserving calories. If the whole body is involved for the video there is the possibility to burn 1000 Cal's.

I'm a 200lb man. I ran 8 miles in 1 hr 10 mins. According to both MFP and micoach app, I burned ~1200 at 8:40 min miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the video, no way to know. Not the same as comparing it to running,

Fundamentally calorie expenditure is about distance and mass, hence the comparison to running being reasonable. Moving 160lbs through 10 miles running will give about 1000 cals, moving the same mass through 10 miles of walking will burn about 500 cals.

As these kind of videos don't involve moving the bodymass through anything like the same kind of distance, the opportunity to burn 1000 cals just isn't there.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I burned 930 calories yesterday, but that was 3.5 hours of walking, spread across the whole day. I'm also obese, so I burn more calories than women of average size. No way in hell an average weight/height woman can burn 1000 calories in one hour. Sustaining this level of effort for that long is just not possible for the average person, even if reasonably fit.
  • DjThomasH
    DjThomasH Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I are currently doing 22 minute Hard Corps from Beachbody. A cardio and a core workout (33 minutes) I'll burn around 500 calories.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fitness Blender! I pick out one or two different workouts every week, to mix in with my regular routine...sometimes easy level 2, other times I'll try to kill myself like you; I've done that 1000 calorie burn workout, but I literally burn out after the first 30-40 mins!!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No way on the burn...I'm a pretty avid endurance cyclist and pretty fit and there's still no way I could sustain the level of effort over the course of an hour that would be necessary to burn 1,000 calories.

I hit that kind of calorie burn per hour in every XC mountain bike race I do, but those are Zone 4 & Zone 5 a/b/c full out efforts and are only 15 - 25 times per season.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I are currently doing 22 minute Hard Corps from Beachbody. A cardio and a core workout (33 minutes) I'll burn around 500 calories.

I'd like to see the proof of that...
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    "Fundamentally calorie expenditure is about distance and mass, hence the comparison to running being reasonable. Moving 160lbs through 10 miles running will give about 1000 cals, moving the same mass through 10 miles of walking will burn about 500 cals.

As these kind of videos don't involve moving the bodymass through anything like the same kind of distance, the opportunity to burn 1000 cals just isn't there. "

You know this how? Both burpees and jump roping burn more calories per hour than running. ~10 per min running ~13 per min for the other two. My guess is a video can be somewhere in between the two depending on how much jumping/arm movement/leg movement is involved.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

magic 8 ball says...

"not likely"
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You know this how?

The MET factor for easy paced running, 6 minute per kilometre, is 10.

The MET factor for vigorous circuit training, broadly the video cited, is 8.

The METs for skipping are 8, 10 and 12 subject to how much intensity one is working at. I'd suggest that the top one isn't sustainable for 60 minutes, and I'd be surprised if the middle one could be, essentially giving an equivalence to easy paced running.

So we're still in the situation where a fairly gentle run is burning more calories than one is going to achieve circuit training.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

You're calculating that how?

I couldn't burn 500 calories running straight for 33 minutes or rowing or cycling......

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No way on the burn...I'm a pretty avid endurance cyclist and pretty fit and there's still no way I could sustain the level of effort over the course of an hour that would be necessary to burn 1,000 calories.

I hit that kind of calorie burn per hour in every XC mountain bike race I do, but those are Zone 4 & Zone 5 a/b/c full out efforts and are only 15 - 25 times per season.

I still couldn't do it...my beta blocker alone would pretty much nix that.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options

hmmmm......
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

I couldn't burn 500 calories running straight for 33 minutes or rowing or cycling......

You're just not heavy enough ;)
    If you weighted 250, that's 3.25 10:00 miles
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its possible. I've done it. Once. But it is basically super high intensity HIIT for that whole hour. I wouldn't do that regularly unless you are getting a lot of rest/recovery.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

You're just not heavy enough ;)
    If you weighted 250, that's 3.25 10:00 miles

I'll have to put on some weight! B)
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The workout is over an hour, most of the 1000 calories workouts are an hour and 30 minutes and they do give an estimate calorie burn 1000 calorie will be the high estimate there will be a low calorie estimate as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Its possible. I've done it. Once. But it is basically super high intensity HIIT for that whole hour. I wouldn't do that regularly unless you are getting a lot of rest/recovery.

If you're really doing "super high intensity HIIT" you couldn't do it for an hour.......
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "Fundamentally calorie expenditure is about distance and mass, hence the comparison to running being reasonable. Moving 160lbs through 10 miles running will give about 1000 cals, moving the same mass through 10 miles of walking will burn about 500 cals.

As these kind of videos don't involve moving the bodymass through anything like the same kind of distance, the opportunity to burn 1000 cals just isn't there. "

You know this how? Both burpees and jump roping burn more calories per hour than running. ~10 per min running ~13 per min for the other two. My guess is a video can be somewhere in between the two depending on how much jumping/arm movement/leg movement is involved.

No they don't. Intensity is intensity. If you have the fitness ability to do burpees or jump rope continuously for 1 hour, then you can run at the same intensity for an hour.

Calorie burn is not a fixed part of an activity. Calorie burn depends on intensity and body weight. You can't say that "burpees burn 13 cals/min" or that "running burns 10 cal/min" wout knowing the weight and intensity/speed of the activity. At steady state, for example, I burn 14-16 calories per minute running. If I run faster I burn more, if I run slower I burn less.

Workout videos are highly unlikely to result in a 1000 calorie/hr burn for a number of reasons.

1. Movements are not consistently vigorous enough to sustain a high enough intensity.
    2. Movements are not continuous enough to sustain a high enough intensity.
    3. Workout usually includes a warm up and cool down--activities at a greatly reduced intensity.
    4. Workouts usually include some type of sorta-kinda "core" exercises that greatly reduce intensity.

Hypothetically possible, virtually impossible.